I-70

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: I-70

Post by GRID »

There is nothing left near the I-70 curves, nothing worth saving, actually is desolate, almost rural by density standards.

The single point interchange will take away one signal, that is the main advantage, the disadvantage is that they require practically a tunnel for the overpass. Wait till you see the 87th Sreet tunnel, it's a wopper. People will start to freak when that begins to take shape.

Well, at least we will have the Grandview Triangle, a very modern interchange. The entire south side of the metro will be very modern from Blue Ridge to Quivera by 2008, now if the rest of the city could catch up...
thewack
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by thewack »

Staubio,

Check out this link.  It shows an animation of how this works.  It is pretty slick I must say.  Some transporation engineer was thinking...

http://www.improvei70.org/4a2_wm.htm
I don't have to like Bush to like my country.
Denver Josh
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Denver Josh »

Wow, thats awesome!

That animation rules, and that seems super duper smart.  Any other cities with large scale (all or most of their interchanges) implementation of the "single point" design?

GRID - are you employed by the city in some fasion to have privy to all that info?  Or is this question a bit nefarious?
"My ego's like my stomach, it keeps...shitting what I feed it."  Tim Kasher   / www.joshoakhurst.com
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

When it comes to widening unsafe highways and interchanges I say do it.  I'd rather lose some countryside/houses than have people dying.  I-70 from downtown KC to downtown STL is terrible and unsafe and I support any efforts to improve it, urban or rural.

Of course, these planned projects are going to be absolute hell during construction.  Southbound I-435 was often backed up toward the Missouri River when they were working on the 70/435 interchange last time.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

i may be in the minority here but i dont' really like the idea of stoplights on major highways.  it looks all smooth and cool on the computer graphics, but they're a pain in the ass when you're driving 70 mph and you see a red light ahead.  the stoplight on 152 just east of  i-29 was a big pain in the ass, and that was only a two lane highway (maybe two each way at that point).  i can't imagine the frustration of stopping at a stoplight on 435 at the i-70 interchange after zooming down at 75, 80 mph from i-35.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

What? There wouldn't be stoplights on highways. See the first post in this thread. The SPUI, as shown in the video and photos above, would be for I-70 and Noland Road, not I-70 and I-435.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

shaffe wrote: i may be in the minority here but i dont' really like the idea of stoplights on major highways.  it looks all smooth and cool on the computer graphics, but they're a pain in the ass when you're driving 70 mph and you see a red light ahead.  the stoplight on 152 just east of  i-29 was a big pain in the ass, and that was only a two lane highway (maybe two each way at that point).  i can't imagine the frustration of stopping at a stoplight on 435 at the i-70 interchange after zooming down at 75, 80 mph from i-35.
Federal highways cannot have stoplights. This is for main road overpasses.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

well if it's just for major roads that go over highways, then how is this different from a normal stoplight?  how often have you really been stopped twice at a highway onn/off ramp intersection?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

shaffe wrote: well if it's just for major roads that go over highways, then how is this different from a normal stoplight?  how often have you really been stopped twice at a highway onn/off ramp intersection?
At the Noland road one, many times. That place is a booger. They are doing it at 87th in Lenexa. Stoped twice there many times also.

It also eliminates the off ramp lag that can overlap the through lanes. This happens alot on the west bound I-70 exit ramp in front of the stadium.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

MoDOT is finally resurfacing I-70 between Manchester and 291 Hwy, including that nasty center easbound lane.  Last year they resurfaced between Downtown and Manchester.  When the big rebuilding in Independence and Blue Springs is finished this fall, I-70 will have new pavement across most of Jackson County.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

Like new paint, a fresh layer of asphalt is nice.  But we'll still have congestion. 

What's the status of MoDOT's studies to determine when/how/whether to add capacity -- or to beef up transit and take other steps to improve traffic flow by reducing total traffic?
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

The Autobahn uses "hot shoulders," which are shoulders that are cleared for use as a regular highway lane during rush hour to alleviate congestion. Interesting concept. I wonder if it could be used here. I guess it depends on whether our highways have shoulders that have the same roadbed specs, width, etc. as the highway. Anybody know?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Supposedly the recommendation was to rebuild the highway west of I-435 in the current six lanes, including the much-needed third lane under I-435. The eight lanes east to 7 Hwy, and six lanes from there to Oak Grove.  Reducing the Benton and Jackson Curves is included.  MARC is going to study further other options like reversible lanes, car pool lanes, BRT, etc.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

dangerboy wrote: Supposedly the recommendation was to rebuild the highway west of I-435 in the current six lanes, including the much-needed third lane under I-435. The eight lanes east to 7 Hwy, and six lanes from there to Oak Grove.  Reducing the Benton and Jackson Curves is included.  MARC is going to study further other options like reversible lanes, car pool lanes, BRT, etc.
Those are all good recomendations, but i think they also need change the 435 northand southbound exits to 70 east to flyover Blue Ridge Cutoff with exit onto Leeds road for the Stadium traffic.

OT. Can we please rename Blue Ridge Cutoff already. Something like Kauffamn/Hunt Blvd.?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Looks like the Noland Road interchange is now scheduled for 2007, instead of 2006...
Survey crews are working at the Interstate 70/Noland Road interchange so the Missouri Department of Transportation can begin planning a project to improve the Noland Road overpass and ramps. Construction is currently scheduled to begin during the summer of 2007
Last edited by dangerboy on Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

shaffe wrote: well if it's just for major roads that go over highways, then how is this different from a normal stoplight?  how often have you really been stopped twice at a highway onn/off ramp intersection?
Ever try going through the 87th/I35/69 corridor sometime before they closed the ramps?  You were lucky to get through with less than 5 stops.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

75th and I-35 is like that when exiting south and making left to hospital.  Cant ever make it through without stopping 2X.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

i was hit by a semi yesterday on my way back to school (if you see an england truck with dark green paint on his drivers side wheels, that's the one).  i have no idea what he was doing as he drifted into my lane with me right next to him.  that highway really needs to be 6 lanes all across, let the toll collection commence!

in case you were wondering, i'm totally fine but the entire passenger side of my car is f-ed.  since it was a '93 bonneville it'll probably be totalled.  the jergoff drove off, but was ran down in the next county.  now that i'm past the "thank god i'm alive" stage i'm kind of pist, i really liked that car.

le sigh
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

You gotta post pictures of your wrecked car like I did. Sounds like your damage was worse though.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

...not to mention the fact that the accident, from your description, could easily have turned out fatal.