I-70

Transportation topics in KC
KCgridlock

I-70

Post by KCgridlock »

I-70 is finally moving into the phases where it will be fixed in the coming years. Urban, suburban, anybody who is interested in KC's economy should realize that I-70 is a big part of metro kc and need to be upgraded and modernized. Let's hope transit is a big part of it.

Apr 8, 2003 4:30 - 8:00
Blue Ridge Mall
Join us between 4:30 and 8:00 p.m. for a public open house meeting to discuss strategies to improve I-70. Identical presentations will be made at 5:00, 6:00 & 7:00. Hope to see you there!

One of the concepts:

Package 3-B
Apply HOV (Toll Optional)
Bus Rapid Transit PDF map (550k)
Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.

• Integrate High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Lanes
• Consider Toll Options (i.e. HOT Lanes)
• Add I-70 Community Bridges
• Integrate Smart Moves Bus Plan – Phases 2&3
• Add Bus Rapid Transit on Parallel Arterial Routes
• Support Transit Centers
• Support Commuter Rail

PLUS Package 3-A
• Widen I-70 to Eight Lanes: Loop to I-470
• Upgrade I-70 Interchanges at Oak Grove and Grain Valley
• Rebuild / Widen I-70 to Six Lanes East of I-470 to Oak Grove (from I-70 Statewide FTED)
• Rebuild Interchanges along I-70
• Consolidate Loop Access on North and East Legs
• Straighten Benton and Jackson Curves
• Build Major Loop Operational Improvements / Upgrade Loop’s S. W. Corner (i.e. I-35/I-670 Interchange Ramps)
• Add I-70 to Bruce R. Watkins (U.S. 71) Directional Ramps
• Upgrade Truman Road and 22nd /23rd Street Corridors

• Integrate Smart Moves Bus Plan – Phase 1
• Integrate Incident Management / Traveler Information (Parallel Arterial Management Systems)

PLUS Package 1
• Upgrade I-435 Interchange (from I-435 MIS)
• Upgrade Loop’s N.E. Corner / Paseo and Add New Transit Fixed Guideway Bridge over Missouri River (from Northland-Downtown MIS)
• Repave I-70 and Build Low-Cost Repairs
• Upgrade I-70 Interchanges (as identified on MoDOT Bridge List)
• Maintain Existing Bus Service

KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Re: I-70

Post by KCN »

Is there a website I can get all the info at?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KCNorthlander wrote:Is there a website I can get all the info at?
http://www.i70mis.org

I really hope they decide to go or commuter rail. A couple of reversable express lanes in the middle would give it 5 inbound lanes for rush hours. If you want to see improvements on I-70 then make sure to start lobbying your state reps right now, because they are going to have to allocate a lot of money to make this happen.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just got a nice handout in the paper today....very well done.

While I hope they go with the commuter rail, I'm pretty sure it will never happen (sorry, I'm very negative on KC and mass transit) so 8 lanes would be nice with a couple dedicated HOV lanes.

What really excited me was the talk about a tunnel to replace the Benton curve....Grid, what's up with that?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

From http://www.improvei70.org/ about two MoDOT public meetings:
Public Meeting - Independence
Nov. 18, 2003
4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Sermon Center Gymnasium, 201 N. Dodgion Street, Independence, MO
A public meeting will be held to discuss possible improvements to I-70 between Independence and Odessa. Maps and other information will be available, and study team members will be on hand to answer questions. The meeting will be held in an open house format -- come and go at any time. If you have questions about the meeting, contact the project office at 1-800-590-0066.

Public Meeting - Oak Grove
Nov. 19, 2003
4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Oak Grove Civic Center, 2100 S. Broadway Street, Oak Grove
A public meeting will be held to discuss possible improvements to I-70 between Independence and Odessa. Maps and other information will be available, and study team members will be on hand to answer questions. The meeting will be held in an open house format -- come and go at any time. If you have questions about the meeting, contact the project office at 1-800-590-0066.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Despite I-70's horrible reputation across Missouri, I'm gonna argue that it has improved in the last few years. After two drives across the state in the last month, I noticed that there are only a few really bad areas left. One of those is the westbound lanes between Higginsville and Oak Grove.

The worst problem is the congestion, which can only be cured by a massive expansion to six lanes. The next biggest problem is stupid drivers, and they can be found all over the country. The pavement itself is in much better shape than just a few years ago, but so far people's perceptions have not caught up to reality.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Yeah, with the exception of a few stretches, I've never understood the gripes about the pavement condition. I drive between KC and Columbus, OH about 1-2 times per year and the only thing that really stands out to me about the Missouri portion is that it has way too much congestion and the lanes/shoulders/median are too narrow.

I've driven the entire length of I-70 several times and with the exception of a portion in western Ohio, the route across Missouri is the only non-urban portion that is constantly terribly congested. Even well after midnight an hour's drive from the nearest major city there's often enough traffic to justify 6 lanes.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I-70 has been resurfaced once again, but whats under that nice pavement is concrete that is literally blowing apart. Wait a year or two and I-70 will be right back where it was a couple of years ago.

It does need to be six lanes though. I drive I-70 all the time across MO and the country and I agree, traffic just drops like a rock when you cross into IL and KS. Ever tried driving to StL on a holiday? It's pretty incredible.

But I-70 is in bad shape and the stretch between 470 and 435 in Independence is going to begin to crumble at a very rapid pace, it will be a total disaster by the time they begin to replace and widen that stretch of road. They will be repaving it every summer like they were doing with the Blue Springs stretch.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The construction in Independence and Blue Springs is causing terrible problems. Accidents happen almost daily. Cars are bouncing off of the barriers and rear-ending each other. 40 Hwy is gridlocked. Did they make the lanes too narrow? Maybe they should have added more pavement on the side, to give drivers more room between the barriers. The ATA is missing a big opportunity to promote their services to an audience that might be more receptive to considering mass transit - if only we had HOV lanes so that busses could actually be faster than cars.
cdschofield
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cdschofield »

Go figure.
INSIDE TRACK: Down the highway: 10 great US drives; Do you want shimmering cityscapes, soaring mountains or vistas over the Pacific? The IoS's US writers select their favourite routes.(Features)

The Independent Sunday (London, England); 5/9/2004; Cornwell, Rupert

Byline: RUPERT CORNWELL, ANDREW BUNCOMBE, ANDREW GUMBEL, DAVID USBORNE

1St Louis to Kansas City

The surrounding countryside is nothing special: no dramatic panoramas but rolling fields and hills that become gentler with every mile you go. But to drive west on Interstate 70 from St Louis to Kansas City is to make that magical transition from the East, which ends with the Mississippi and the great river city of St Louis, to the vast expanses and numbing distances of the plains and beyond. You ease into another America, with a beauty all its own - and never more so than in sunset's fading afterglow of deep orange and indigo. Just as darkness settles, in the middle of nowhere, you hit one of those 21st century encampments of gas stations, McDonald's arches and neon motel signs, cutting into the night. Objectively, it's tacky verging on hideous, "Anywhere USA" made flesh. What comes to mind, however, is that line from the movie Field of Dreams. Is this heaven? No, it's Western Missouri.

Rupert Cornwell

2 Rock Creek Parkway, Washington DC

It is Washington's gorgeous little secret, for us denizens of northwest DC, a private road to downtown, to Georgetown, to the handsome Potomac river, or Reagan National, surely the most convenient (if security-obsessed) airport in the world. Rock Creek Parkway runs just a few miles. It winds through a steeply wooded park alongside Rock Creek, a green sliver leading to the heart of an imperial city which, for the quarter hour or so of the drive, might not exist at all. The journey is usually brisk, but not too brisk to prevent enjoyment of the sights along the way - old Pierce Mill, dating back to 1820, the exotic buildings of the National Zoo, the spectacular viaduct, which carries bustling Connecticut Avenue 100ft overhead, Oak Hill cemetery clinging to the slope, and then Georgetown. The road follows the natural contours of the land. It is at its best in spring, but a joy in any season.

RC

3Vicksburg to Greenville, Mississippi

Go on a hot day, go when the weather is steaming, when the humidity is heavy and your clothes are damp even before you've walked a few yards. Vicksburg is worth an hour or two's distraction. Visit the battlefield and the site of the 47-day siege where the Confederates sought to hold off the Union forces in what would be one of the turning points of the US Civil War. But the real fun starts once you hit Route 61, the old Blues road, the road through the flatlands and the levees, driving headlong through the Delta, the Mississippi to one side, the Yazoo river to the other. It's the landscape of work songs, of field hollers, of cotton plantation where they still pay Black people peanuts to work the land. You race past juke joints in small towns and crossroads where Robert Johnson may have sold his soul to the devil. I made the journey once at night, in an open- top Ford Mustang, the dark sky silent but for the car roaring along the flat empty roads.

Andrew Buncombe

4Washington to Point Lookout, Maryland

Salvation from the city, a Sunday escape from the beast. Head the car south on Route 295 past the slums of Anacostia until you pick up Route 5 to southern Maryland. You'll zoom past open meadows with huge wooden barns from a different generation, farmers' markets selling gnarled fruit for a few dollars a basket and - as you get nearer to the shore - shacks selling crabs and ice-cold beers on communal tables laid out with old newspapers. The destination is Point Lookout, a national park made up of lagoons and pine trees, slap-bang in the Cheasepeake Bay with a view across the opening ocean and a smell of fresh salty air. At weekends, the park is packed with Hispanic families who crush the place with their barbecues and football games. And it is less than two hours from the capital. You ca be back in the city by the evening.

AB

5 From Brunswick along Maine's coast

A drive along the coast of central Maine in mid-summer will easily provide two weeks of adventure, with spotless seaside towns, such as Camden and Ellsworth, with grand white homes and even grander white churches, and days of sand and sea on beaches and in rocky inlets. The main part of your drive will begin at Brunswick, where you will leave the hectic I- 95 highway and take the extraordinarily scenic Route 1 that hugs the coastline. Your map will tempt you with any number of side trips down peninsulas jutting south to the Atlantic. Look for Route 15, just north of Bucksport, that will take you to picturesque Blue Hill, with lovely restaurants and boarding houses and beyond to the tiny fishing port of Stonington. Certainly, you will want to take a second excursion south on Route 3 out of Ellsworth. This brings you to Mount Desert Island and the stunning Acadia National Park. This is the Maine landscape at its most grandiloquent. The town of Bar Harbor on the island provides all the necessary amenities for tourists and - be warned - serious traffic jams in the month of August.

David Usborne

6Salida to Vail, Colorado

The Rockies do not lack for breathtaking roads, but few will give you the feeling of being on top of the world. Come in late spring or autumn, and do this drive in the early morning or towards evening, when the shadows are oblique and cause the peaks, the wild flowers and the arid meadow greenery across the broad expanse of the Upper Arkansas Valley to melt into a dance of beguiling colours. Salida and Leadville, the two main towns along the route, both belong to Colorado's mining past and retain a Victorian charm (Salida with its wooden, pastel buildings, Leadville - the highest city in the United States - with its red brick.) Most of this road is above 9,000ft with elevations rising to 14,000ft on both sides, the Sawatch range to the west and the Mosquito range to the east. There is no lack of distractions along the way: not just hiking, but also white-water rafting near Buena Vista, and ample skiing possibilities during the season.

Andrew Gumbel

7Seattle to Hurricane Ridge

On a clear summer's day, the ferry ride across Puget Sound alone makes this trip unforgettable. Ahead is the Olympic range, behind are the Cascades and the shimmering Seattle skyline; to the north Mount Baker and, to the south, the fairy-tale contours of Mount Rainier, all set against a brilliant sky and opaline water. The road then island-hops, including a wobble across the floating Hood Canal bridge, and heads up to the elegant Victorian dormitory town of Port Townsend. Ignore the developmental blight of Sequim and Port Angeles and concentrate instead on the views across the San Juan de Fuca strait towards Victoria, Canada. Once aloft on Hurricane Ridge, extraordinary vistas open up: the alpine meadows, spruce-covered slopes and glacier peaks of the Olympics in one direction and the splendours of Vancouver Island in the other.

AG

8Manistee to Traverse City, Michigan

Northern Michigan - as opposed to the flat, industrial part of the state around Detroit - is one of the United States' best-kept secrets, a near- idyllic landscape of gently rolling pine-covered sandstone hills, lakes and elegant small towns. Summer is by far the best time to come, not least because the super-abundance of the local cherry crop. The pristine shores of Lake Michigan feel a bit like the Landes in south-west France, only with smaller breakers off the water. Route 22 gives you a feel for the understated charm of the whole region. Manistee is an elegant yachting town. The Sleeping Bear Dunes are a remarkable natural monument, the name derived from an ancient Indian myth. The fishing towns of Leland and Northport are filled with boats and wooden shacks with piles driven into their harbours. And Traverse City is an unexpectedly charming market town with dreamy views over a broad bay.

AG

9San Francisco to Bodega Bay

Just about any stretch of the Pacific Coast Highway in California could qualify as a great drive, but this one has a special all-weather beauty. In the sun, there is no sight more magical than looking back across the Golden Gate Bridge at San Francisco Bay. In one of the area's frequent rolling fogs, the gloom is pierced by extraordinary shards of light that might illuminate Stinson Beach or the lonely lagoon of Bolinas. Route 1 skirts the majestic redwoods of Muir Woods and the wild, rocky, virtually uninhabited coastline of west Marin, with its backdrop of Mount Tamalpais and Cezanne-like colouring. It then passes the dank, remote, wooded farmland of the Point Reyes peninsula and finishes up at the postcard-worthy fishing town of Bodega Bay, most famously captured by Alfred Hitchcock as the setting for The Birds, and still an object of mystery, with its peninsula stretching into the Pacific tides.

AG

10Beartooth Highway, Montana, Wyoming

Frequently named America's most beautiful road, and with good reason. Its grand vistas of the Rockies, its hundreds of alpine lakes and glacier- filled canyons, its sharp rises and grand plateaus with dramatic names such as Silver Run and Hell Roaring, are as thrilling as any mountain landscape in the world. From Cooke City, an old gold-mining camp on the edge of Yellowstone National Park, the road passes the Nez Perce trail and the forbiddingly dark Pilot Peak. Then it meanders around a cluster of lakes before rising high into the Beartooth mountains. The roadside "Top of the World" is the closest thing this unspoiled landscape has to a tourist trap. Thereafter come some of the most spectacular views, including Beartooth itself - an unmissable jagged spire of a mountain first named by the Crow Indians. Mountain goats and bighorn sheep grace the plateaus.

AG

Driving in the US

Before taking a holiday in the US, you need to consider three things: the hire car, the insurance and the law.

Choose the right hire car

Hire cars will often be offered as part of the holiday package. But be prepared. Ask your travel agent for more details of the hire firms. For example, look at the terms and conditions, levels of insurance, type of car, and availability of accessories such as child seats negligence clauses and other liabilities, payment methods and travel limitations.

If you are arranging car hire separately, it is better to deal with a company based in the UK. Should something go wrong, it is easier to have a wrangle with one with offices back home and subject to UK law.

Insure yourself properly

Collision Damage Waiver and Theft Protection insurances are self-explanatory, and usually offered with car hire in the UK. However, separate third-party liability insurance is alien to most UK motorists, who are used to car hirers covering the full risk.

American car hire relies on US drivers covering third-party liability under their own insurance policies. Most states set a minimum requirement for third-party liability. For the unwary British holidaymaker, this is dangerous. The car-hire company may at best provide cover up to the legally required minimum, but nowhere near the sum required to pay a major third- party injury claim. Car hire companies have latched on to this and now offer top-up protection. But top-up protection is more expensive if bought at the car hire pick-up desk when the customer arrives in the US.

Stay legal

An understanding of road laws is useful. Laws vary between states so check state information and tourist board websites. You should take an International Driving Permit, particularly if you have an old-style UK driving licence without a picture.

Information provided by the AA (0870- 600 0371; www.theaa.com)

COPYRIGHT 2004 Independent Newspapers (UK) Ltd.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Toll on I-70 to KC and back would run $20
By Shane Graber
©2004, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
10/14/2004

Interstate 70 would become a toll road between St. Louis and Kansas City under a proposal by Missouri highway officials, who are considering tolls of as high as $20 round-trip for passenger vehicles and $45 round-trip for commercial trucks.

The 250 miles of interstate from eastern Missouri to the western edge would be dotted by two or three toll booths between St. Louis and Columbia, and two or three more between Columbia and Kansas City. Money raised from the tolls would pay to rebuild the interstate and expand it to six lanes statewide. I-70 is currently four lanes through most of Missouri.

The Missouri Department of Transportation said a more detailed study of an I-70 toll system should be completed in two weeks.

"Toll roads are used successfully in many other parts of the country, but in Missouri we don't even have that as an option," said Linda Wilson, a department spokeswoman. "We just want this as a tool in our toolbox. We have no intention of tolling roads all over Missouri."

The job of getting tolling authority - which is becoming an annual tradition in Missouri - won't be easy. The state's voters would have to approve any toll plan because it would require a constitutional amendment. It also would need legislative approval.

Highway officials say a toll might be the best, if not the only, way to pay for a new six-lane I-70. The interstate now is clogged with traffic, infamous for decay and, according to many, the black eye of the highway department.

MoDOT asked voters for approval for toll roads in 1970 and 1992. Both times, voters shot the agency down. That's as far as highway officials have gotten. They've asked for tolling authority for the past three years, but lawmakers have never let it advance to a ballot.

"So now we're going for just one road," said Jay Wunderlich, MoDOT's governmental affairs director.

MoDOT is considering an "open toll" system in which motorists would only have to pay when they go through the booth, and not every time they get on and off the highway.

"The idea is to get the traffic that's going all the way across the state," not the local traffic, Wilson said.

The full report later this month will include estimates on how much money the tolls would generate, locations for the toll booths and how much traffic likely would move to alternate east-to-west highways. It's not known whether the toll system would affect people commuting between St. Louis and Illinois.

The most recent figures, from 2002, showed that nearly 241,000 vehicles a day traveled between St. Louis and Kansas City. Experts predict that congestion on I-70 will double by 2020, and rebuilding the interstate will cost taxpayers about $3 billion.

Illinois and six other states neighboring Missouri already have authority to charge tolls. Parts of I-70 in Kansas already are tolled.

Federal law restricts tolls on U.S. interstates, but a state can ask the Federal Highway Administration for permission to toll as a pilot project. Congress could eliminate the restriction entirely in a new transportation spending bill.

Sen. John Loudon, R-Ballwin, introduced a version of the toll bill last session. He said he'd push for it again this year.

Sen. Jon Dolan, R-Lake Saint Louis, who chairs the Senate Transportation Committee, said last year that MoDOT needed to do more homework on the subject.

Dolan guaranteed the issue will get a hearing in his committee this session.

"I think this new attention toward one signature project is essential," he said. "Missourians won't allow for toll roads to go up willy-nilly."

Dolan said that even if voters let I-70 become a toll road, it would be phased in and could take years before a motorist ever drops a nickel into a chute.

Toll road idea details

Proposal so far:

Make Interstate 70 a toll road between St. Louis and Kansas City.

Set up between four and six toll booths.

Charge as much as $20 round-trip for passenger vehicles.

Charge as much as $45 round-trip for commercial trucks.

Use the money to rebuild I-70 into a six-lane interstate across the state.

What's next:

Full study to be released later this month.

Any toll roads would need voter approval of a constitutional amendment.

Any toll roads would need legislative approval.

Reporter Shane Graber
E-mail: sgraber@post-dispatch.com
Phone: 314-340-8207
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

that's WAAAY to much. Could actually hurt "tourism" between the cities or people going cross country. People hear about $10 tolls and will find ways around them...namely go I80 or I40.

I'd say a toll of $7 wouldn't be bad, but once people start dropping $10 to go to STL or come here from STL, they think twice maybe????

KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Depends on where you're going and how much out of the way it is, but yeah, I-80 and I-40 are free.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

but that is part of what they are trying to accomplish I think. This would be a tough one to get passed but I'm all for it. Make the trucks pay who ruin the road.

KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

$45/round-trip for commercial trucks will send a lot of that traffic -- and the revenue it provides to truck stops, etc. on I-70 -- to other roads. When I was a truck driver years ago, my company told us to make sure that we always had a full tank before we went into Illinois because of that state's fuel tax. Many other trucking companies had the same policy.

The only way a I-70 toll road would fly from a political perspective is if the commerical rate is low enough that it doesn't spark the ire of trucking companies and other influential lobbies.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah I don't see anyway it could be that high. $45 is round trip remember, but 22.50 isn't anything to laugh at. How much is the entire KTA toll from KC through topeka to Wichita for trucks?

Answered my own question.... $25.75 for that trip, and that's not hardly the entire state of KS, so maybe the fees aren't too out of line.

It's $8.75 for cars to do the entire KS turnpike.

So I say, put it in.....drive some traffic off the road and the fees aren't terribly out of line. I'll gladly pay when I go to STL.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

At least they listened to me (yeah right)
MoDOT is considering an "open toll" system in which motorists would only have to pay when they go through the booth, and not every time they get on and off the highway.

this is the only smart way to do this. Putting toll booths at every exit throughout mo would be a nightmare.

Now the only thing they would have to do is make sure where they put the toll booths there isn't an easy bypass.

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

If we could guarantee on-time trains, this would be a huge boost to preserving Amtrak service. Gas and tolls would start to even up the cost. Now we've got people pouring into our great Missouri cities at their hearts without their cars! Perhaps some of that toll should go to build a rail right down the median.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

^my thoughts exactly (in terms of boosting Amtrak). Actually it sucks ass for me cause i travel a lot on 70 (when going to St. Louis or up to Chicago), so i was immediately thinking "wait how much does amtrak cost?" and i immediately realized that if i calculated gas and toll amtrak is much cheaper. Haven't ridden on amtrak, but it would be interesting to do it (only problem would be when i got to St. Louis, i know i could survive in chicago pretty well without a car, but St. Louis would require a lot of metrolink to bus transfers to be feasible....) This may be interesting hmmm.... Yeah put it in, there are a ridiculous amount of trucks who go through there, the state should also take over the billboards hehe
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

wow, as a college student at mizzou i say thumbs down to this one.. :puke:

if i have to pay everytime i want to go home i'd be real pissed, so would the 5000 other kids who go here that are from kc (even more if you add in the st. louis kids too).