Downtown Doubletree to change to Radisson

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Downtown Doubletree to change to Radisson

Post by herrfrank »

PumpkinStalker wrote:Chef, I have a postcard of the hotel from the 70s or something that says the rooftop restaurant revolves.  I'm not talking Skies here, this is the doubletree/radisson/crowne.  Sometimes postcards were made before the building was really "finished" so I'm wondering if this actually turned on top or if that part never happened.  Do you remember?
Ralph Oberlechner designed this hotel (the current Crowne Plaza), and the plans as built included a revolving platform for the restaurant. As I recall, the restaurant did revolve for several years, but the mechanism was disabled around 1981. I recall an article about this in the Star. The disabling may have been a result of the revolving Skies restaurant opening at the (then) Hyatt.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Downtown Doubletree to change to Radisson

Post by im2kull »

Has anyone been up there recently? I always thought this was one of the most underused tall buildings in KC. I have been up in the ballroom once. It was an amazing view indeed.