Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by KC_Ari »

Meet up with some friends at First Friday's last night. It was quite busy and the vibes were good. We went into a handful of galleries and there was pockets of people setting up along the street or sidewalks. I saw a couple food trucks and a couple people selling food had setup stalls. Very much had an impromptu feel instead of being an organized effort. It did look like the bridge on main across the railroad tracks was closed.

But my friends did make the comment that some of the sidewalks did not play nice with their stroller. It seemed somewhat haphazard in the way that ADA improvements have been made to intersections in the neighborhood.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The city doesn't typically invest in the crossroads. If it's not first Fridays there is no where to throw your trash

I'm being serious. The crossroads doesn't have trash cans.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KC_Ari wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:43 am Meet up with some friends at First Friday's last night. It was quite busy and the vibes were good. We went into a handful of galleries and there was pockets of people setting up along the street or sidewalks. I saw a couple food trucks and a couple people selling food had setup stalls. Very much had an impromptu feel instead of being an organized effort. It did look like the bridge on main across the railroad tracks was closed.

But my friends did make the comment that some of the sidewalks did not play nice with their stroller. It seemed somewhat haphazard in the way that ADA improvements have been made to intersections in the neighborhood.
I was down there too. I thought it was extremely busy (this was my first First Friday experience as I've not lived in KC for the last 35 years). I was very impressed by the crowds at almost every corner from west to east across the Crossroads. With Main still being closed, we came down Grand where it seems there was an entire lot devoted to food trucks/stalls. The one gallery we visited was very full and difficult to move around. Pretty good experience overall.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

1. There are as many commercial galleries as there ever have been -- they're just spread out more (Troost to Broadway, Truman to the tracks)
2. More art is on display due to many businesses hosting exhibits (restaurants, bars, banks).
3. Street vendors have increased in quality due to paying fees (which they appreciate since the alley spaces have become a destination for those who can't afford commercial gallery prices -- not a new problem). Food trucks have also been corralled into one space (minus a few rogue players), which provides more sidewalk space and noise control. Public consumption is relegated to licenses businesses.
4. There are more regular distractions from the galleries -- breweries, distilleries, restaurants, pot stores.
5. Trash cans and port-a-potties are available only on First Friday, but when our CID is approved later this year they will start appearing as permanent fixtures.
6. The city invests with annual NTDF grants.

We've never done an official FF census, but it's clear the street closures led to a festival atmosphere that was unsustainable for the all-volunteer neighborhood association and those who had a hand in creating First Friday. As others noted, foot traffic is now evenly distributed across the entire neighborhood but we widely acknowledge that the crowds peaked in 2019 and that's okay.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

It was a literal festival there at the peak. Very fun, but as you said, unsustainable
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I've said many times that volunteers should have never been involved in this. It became too big.

There are some crocodile tears I have to point out though. Many of these people didn't want first Friday to ever become what it became and fought against it becoming more.

So when you hear the story of what it's become, there are super good people that worked their ass off to make it so. There were also people that fought heavily against it being anything more than a night out amongst the crossroads.
Last edited by WoodDraw on Mon May 08, 2023 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I've always been astounded that people buy and rent apartments downtown and then complain when it behaves like a city.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Tbf there were real concerns about trash, food trucks, and security. But there was (and still is) a group that thinks it should have stayed a gallery tour. And they're fairly popular in the crossroads community.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

kboish wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:55 pm It was a literal festival there at the peak. Very fun, but as you said, unsustainable
I vote make it a festival again. That festival vibe if continued would have been a major contributor to future development.
SHPNeighbor
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SHPNeighbor »

I can't remember what year it was but one First Friday they blocked off Wyandotte between Southwest Boulevard and 17th. They had lots of food vendor and drink vendors, street performers, artists, and a stage with various bands playing throughout the night. That was peak First Fridays for me. I've never seen or heard that happen again.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I agree. I'm all for it. Its just that is too big of a task for the neighborhood to put on. A private org or event organizer would need to take that over.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

SHPNeighbor wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:07 am I can't remember what year it was but one First Friday they blocked off Wyandotte between Southwest Boulevard and 17th. They had lots of food vendor and drink vendors, street performers, artists, and a stage with various bands playing throughout the night. That was peak First Fridays for me. I've never seen or heard that happen again.
That was the Crossroads Summer Block Party, then briefly the Crossroads Flock Party until 2017. The organizers (a record label and The Pitch) either moved on or lost interest. It was loosely affiliated with Mildred's.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:31 am I agree. I'm all for it. Its just that is too big of a task for the neighborhood to put on. A private org or event organizer would need to take that over.
Which is why we're creating a community improvement district that will have the resources to do it right!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Nice
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:19 pm
kboish wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:31 am I agree. I'm all for it. Its just that is too big of a task for the neighborhood to put on. A private org or event organizer would need to take that over.
Which is why we're creating a community improvement district that will have the resources to do it right!
Is the Improvement district a done deal and confirmed? That is excellent if so.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KC_Ari wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:24 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:19 pm
Is the Improvement district a done deal and confirmed? That is excellent if so.
It will be completed this year.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Nice! Hopefully there's a plan to water these during the summers
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:07 pm Nice! Hopefully there's a plan to water these during the summers
We have a watering truck!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Several new liquor licenses out for consent:

- Green Dirt Farm Cafe, 1601 Oak (renovation is underway on this one)
- The Blind Dragon, 1615-B Baltimore (in the vacated alley behind Generator Studios, from the guy that brought us Velvet Dog and Liquid Lounge)
- Third Place Lounge, 1744 Broadway, Suite A (this space has seen quite the rotation over the years -- this iteration is just a tavern license)
- Triune, 1656 Washington, Suite D (former Screenland building, now owned by Denver developer Ken Wolf)

Also, Fern Bar ("Sugarcane and Agave Spirits") should be opening this year at 2045 Broadway (formerly Architectural Salvage, which has been subdivided with a salon). They got their consents on Friday.

https://www.facebook.com/fernbarkc
https://www.instagram.com/fernbarkc/