Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:57 pm they better not have taken out the urinals!
Looked gone.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Al Capone left here.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Does anyone shop at that grocery store at 18th and Holmes? Is is a proper grocery store, or just a convenience store?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:06 pm Does anyone shop at that grocery store at 18th and Holmes? Is is a proper grocery store, or just a convenience store?
It's a functional bodega. Went there a few times when it opened. Fresh produce, some packaged meat, lots of processed "healthy" foods. Doesn't seem very well run and seems to have at least three names (?), but it's a nice option for those who are now living east of Grand. They recently reduced their hours. An easy fix would be to remove all of the crap covering the windows. You can't see what's inside!
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Nick Collinson reported that a 2nd sushi option is opening at 18th and Oak at the old Ron Rico spot.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I really miss Nara still. This place sounds interesting, but it’s not a sit down sushi place. Power and light chains aren’t really my thing.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

daGOAT wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:33 pm Nick Kevin Collison reported that a 2nd sushi option is opening at 18th and Oak at the old Ron Rico spot.
https://cityscenekc.com/kata-nori-hand- ... rossroads/
As opposed to traditional sushi that’s rolled in cylinders and meant to be sliced into bite-size pieces served with chopsticks, a hand roll bar is is eaten by one person with their hands.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Envisioning KC as an Animation Hub
Career animator Gavin Dell has returned to his homestead with plans for an animation academy in the Crossroads.
Dell would like to see his hometown become an animation hub. And he wants to help make it happen with his brainchild Hollywood Animation Academy, which he plans to open this fall in the Crossroads Arts District.
https://kcstudio.org/envisioning-kc-as- ... ation-hub/

https://www.hollywoodanimationacademy.com/
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FangKC wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:59 pm Envisioning KC as an Animation Hub
Career animator Gavin Dell has returned to his homestead with plans for an animation academy in the Crossroads.
Dell would like to see his hometown become an animation hub. And he wants to help make it happen with his brainchild Hollywood Animation Academy, which he plans to open this fall in the Crossroads Arts District.
https://kcstudio.org/envisioning-kc-as- ... ation-hub/

https://www.hollywoodanimationacademy.com/
Aren’t there already a couple in river market or downtown already? I remember seeing some video firms
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I know there are a few video production firms in Greater Downtown, and at least one animation company in the Metro. There could be more. I'm just not aware.

A local animation academy could seed local growth of animation businesses.

Thank You Walt Disney, the organization seeking to restore the Laugh-O-Gram Studio building, also wants to have an animation lab to train area youth.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

That's a good fit for Crossroads. Takes someone with an arts mindset to do animation and for that matter video.
Posting selfies on Instagram or stupid moments in life on youtube doesn't require what's needed in the profession.
To bad Kc killed public Access because of the KKK doing shows on the channel. Watched some killer videos of great bands playing cowtown ballroom I believe.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Post by CrossroadsUrbanApts »

Anybody know what is going on between the Bishop-McCann building and the Big Brothers Big Sisters building on Walnut St? The old garage-type building was recently torn down and there is a Centric sign on the property.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

CrossroadsUrbanApts wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:00 pm Anybody know what is going on between the Bishop-McCann building and the Big Brothers Big Sisters building on Walnut St? The old garage-type building was recently torn down and there is a Centric sign on the property.
I think the roof collapsed awhile back. They were working on it like a renovation, so it sounds like the structure was no longer salvageable? Or maybe someone just offered to buy it?
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:21 pm
CrossroadsUrbanApts wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:00 pm Anybody know what is going on between the Bishop-McCann building and the Big Brothers Big Sisters building on Walnut St? The old garage-type building was recently torn down and there is a Centric sign on the property.
I think the roof collapsed awhile back. They were working on it like a renovation, so it sounds like the structure was no longer salvageable? Or maybe someone just offered to buy it?
Potential infill site?
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Post by CrossroadsUrbanApts »

Still owned by the founder of Bishop-McCann so don't think it has been sold. Nice little infill site but would be difficult to add much density because there is no parking there. Would need to be parked off-site (which would be a good thing).
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Parcel viewer shows plans the owner submitted to completely demolish the current building at 1705 Walnut and rebuild a one-story office building with a stair tower connected to the existing 1701 Walnut building occupied by Bishop-McCann.

Too bad. I would have replaced it with a 4-story building attached to Bishop McCann (Taylor Building)
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Sorry for replying to an old post, been too overwhelmed with work to stay caught up on the "fun sites" I hang out on...
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:57 pm they better not have taken out the urinals!
I can't remember if I ever "broke the seal" at the Rieger, what was special about the urinals? Antiques?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

scooterj wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:49 pm Sorry for replying to an old post, been too overwhelmed with work to stay caught up on the "fun sites" I hang out on...
I can't remember if I ever "broke the seal" at the Rieger, what was special about the urinals? Antiques?
Sign above one of the urinals said, "Al Capone pissed here.".
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah just historic
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:18 am There is a new application for a ROW vacation at 2450 Jefferson St. I believe this is the land under the I-35 overpass. The vacation is "to develop parking for future development". The parcel to the east, between 35 and IRS building was recently up for sale. The developer in the application is 3D Development.

I don't see any details about the "future development", but it sounds like 3D Development may be putting something together for that site.
This project has requested a Development Assistance Team meeting. A few details:

Project Name: PENNWAY POINT
Proposed Use: Hospitality and Recreational uses
Project Description: Conversion of a 100-year-old, 3-acre industrial site, former Carter Waters Construction Materials, into hospitality and recreation park
Estimated Value: $25,296,000.00
Requested Meeting Date: 03/17/2022
Projected Number of Employees: 300
Anticipated Construction Date: 07/01/2022
Anticipated Completion Date: 06/30/2023

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=moreinfo