Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

taxi wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:06 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:44 am Especially in the Crossroads, which has a legitimate claim as KC's most walkable neighborhood.
I typically agree with you, but this is a stretch (please pardon the pun). If you're referring just to the GDAP, then maybe. but "KC's"?
More walkable than...
River Market?
CBD?
South Plaza?
39th St. West?
Per city nerd, the most walkable neighborhood is Westport
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I guess we should do ped counts to prove it.

South Plaza? Whatever.

If we're talking Westport, are we just talking a block in each direction from Westport & Pennsylvania? Crossroads walkability spans a much larger area. Walkability is not just sidewalks, it's content.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

While the quality of life in Westport past 11pm is dubious it is a very walkable neighborhood with significant content. In Westport there is a super-market and while auto oriented still accessible by foot to surrounding residents. A library branch, a post office, clothing stores, a record store, stores for housewares and books, hardware store, liquor store, coffeeshops, day time eateries and cafes, pharmacy, neighborhood bars in addition to the late night party spots, salons and barbers, a tobacconist. In fact rather then viewing it as confined to within a few blocks of Westport Road and Pennsylvania I view the walkshed of Westport having tendrils sprouting out down 43rd and 39th (despite the challenge of the abominable scar of SW TRFWY and its intersections with Westport Road and 39th) and up Broadway, and spilling over onto Main. There are a lot of challenges to pedestrian well being, but the number of amenities withing walking distance is significant and as someone living in the area I'm in no major want for daily amenities to be accessed on foot. The point is mostly moot as I'm glad there are multiple walkable districts in the city and gladder still that a street car will soon connect almost all of them.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Sounds like the perfect area for scooter and bike share. Most things within a 30 minute window. With the streetcar and buses a reduced car use is very possible.
More money for fun versus gas for cars!
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

In terms of improvement River Market seems to be the most walkable along with having the highest % of infill and pretty much every lot left with a plan even if with delays. But Xroads has more variety.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Westport really might be the most walkable as far as amenities within the neighborhood but Crossroads is much more pleasant, though far from what it could be. Then again I feel like the same is true of any walkable neighborhood in KC.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:40 pmIn fact rather then viewing it as confined to within a few blocks of Westport Road and Pennsylvania I view the walkshed of Westport having tendrils sprouting out down 43rd and 39th (despite the challenge of the abominable scar of SW TRFWY and its intersections with Westport Road and 39th) and up Broadway, and spilling over onto Main.
I hear you, but my point is that the pedestrian activity is now speaking pretty loudly that Westport has not kept up. This is mainly due IMO to the failure of advancing the Midtown Complete Streets plan. Most residents/visitors simply don't walk or don't walk very far -- as witnessed by actual pedestrian activity, which WalkScore and even the city don't measure -- despite most people being very close to all necessary amenities.

I'll also reiterate my previous complaint that our two most "walkable" districts of the past (Plaza, Westport) are barely connected by a jumble of confusing street grid, dangerous arterials, and lack of sidewalk interface. If we simply fixed that, all of Midtown would prosper in the walkability game.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:33 pm I'll also reiterate my previous complaint that our two most "walkable" districts of the past (Plaza, Westport) are barely connected by a jumble of confusing street grid, dangerous arterials, and lack of sidewalk interface. If we simply fixed that, all of Midtown would prosper in the walkability game.
This last part is really the most frustrating thing in KC. Westport and the Plaza are super close to each other. People should be choosing to walk between the two, but no one would ever do it- even those of us that know they are close by.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

kboish wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:16 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:33 pm I'll also reiterate my previous complaint that our two most "walkable" districts of the past (Plaza, Westport) are barely connected by a jumble of confusing street grid, dangerous arterials, and lack of sidewalk interface. If we simply fixed that, all of Midtown would prosper in the walkability game.
This last part is really the most frustrating thing in KC. Westport and the Plaza are super close to each other. People should be choosing to walk between the two, but no one would ever do it- even those of us that know they are close by.
I've been thinking about this for a while as well and have wondered why there hasn't been any sort of plan to connect Plaza & Westport seamlessly.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:47 pm
I've been thinking about this for a while as well and have wondered why there hasn't been any sort of plan to connect Plaza & Westport seamlessly.
Maybe there's a way to tie it in with St. Luke's? A "health walking trail" around the campus that is part of a larger effort to tie the two areas together?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

St. Lukes parking lots have always been the wall between the two. They don't want them to connect. That means less space for expansion, higher costs for properties they purchase and encroachment on their "territory".
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:30 am

St. Lukes parking lots have always been the wall between the two. They don't want them to connect. That means less space for expansion, higher costs for properties they purchase and encroachment on their "territory".
Another giant entity holding back the city for its own interests. Cerner syndrome.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The problem predates St. Luke's expansion, but they've certainly made it worse.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:39 pm Yeah pirate bone could open in 2021 and still beat picklemans
Midtown location closed after 4 months. How is Crossroads doing?
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Post by CrossroadsUrbanApts »

That's a giant shame. I don't think I ever had vegan food that good before. The sausage, egg and cheese sandwich was unbelievably good. I guess the streetcar work on Main really hurt them. I went as often as I could but there was hardly anyone ever there.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

CrossroadsUrbanApts wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:02 pm That's a giant shame. I don't think I ever had vegan food that good before. The sausage, egg and cheese sandwich was unbelievably good. I guess the streetcar work on Main really hurt them. I went as often as I could but there was hardly anyone ever there.
Take out only in a long abandoned building. Hard to notice it was even there tbh.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Not surprising. KC is a beef capital that is full of drivers going 80 mph. Most people would never notice it. Now if KC was denser and full of people who walked and used transit places like this would have a legitimate shot to thrive.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Cratedigger wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:54 pm

Maybe there's a way to tie it in with St. Luke's? A "health walking trail" around the campus that is part of a larger effort to tie the two areas together?
Yeah, there's gotta be some plan for this eventually. So much potential there. I'd be fine with starting out with a trail.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:30 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:39 pm Yeah pirate bone could open in 2021 and still beat picklemans
Midtown location closed after 4 months. How is Crossroads doing?
Should have made it zero parking and turned the massive lot into a beach with patio tables and shade.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

what in the fresh hell is going on at 17th and walnut today