Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:45 pm Yeah it just wasn't a very good one. jk AA
I could care less now...check the world cup forum if you wanna see some exciting news!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Unfortunately it demonstrates the power of suburban/car culture influence that has a stronghold on KC. Most of those moving into the City core are probably from KC burbs/region, not outside bigger cities. And therefore suburban mindset prevails impacting how things are developed in City. Add to that Midtown mindset has shifted more suburban minded over last half dozen decades. And you have a City Council who cover mostly a suburban element, so also have that mindset. The challenges for properly urbanizing KC keep piling on.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

SIX retail financial institutions have opened branches in the Crossroads without drive-throughs. It’s ridiculous to assert that because the existing branch on SW Boulevard that has a drive-through is the reason to build a new one. How many of those visits would walk in the lobby if that was the only option?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

100%
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:55 pm SIX retail financial institutions have opened branches in the Crossroads without drive-throughs. It’s ridiculous to assert that because the existing branch on SW Boulevard that has a drive-through is the reason to build a new one. How many of those visits would walk in the lobby if that was the only option?
This sounds like you're upset with the ask (from BOK), rather than the city decision to allow it. Obviously not ideal but it makes sense for a bank to request the option - sadly city is all too happy to oblige.

That said, I don't think this is the end of world located as it is on a stretch of Grand next to the relatively lame (architecturally) Church of Resurrection with it's parking lot, and across from a gas station and self storage. If anything, in that context it's a significant improvement.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

it should have been disallowed simply based on the city's wanting to expand the bike lane there.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Did 3D development sell them the lot or was it previously a separate ownership?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:50 am Did 3D development sell them the lot or was it previously a separate ownership?
Sold
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

rxlexi wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:44 am This sounds like you're upset with the ask (from BOK), rather than the city decision to allow it.
Both. This is Grand getting "nibbled to death."
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Alle hotel/apts delayed, which isn't new but some kind of new posting today...
https://www.construction.com/projects/d ... ing-garage
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:18 am Alle hotel/apts delayed, which isn't new but some kind of new posting today...
https://www.construction.com/projects/d ... ing-garage
This is dead and rolled into the CBC deal
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

A couple of cool and innovative things are in the works for the neighborhood. Will create positive changes if they're developed.

I think a new focus needs to be zeroed in on and that focus should be on smaller projects that fill in smaller lots near the streetcar. Save the bigger ones for grand and dense projects, but the smaller sites need some love. Some owners have held on to their lots for years without doing anything. Depending on who they are, they likely have enough money to construct smaller buildings to fit the focus I think should become the main focus.

It might also be getting close to the time when the River Market, Downtown, and Crossroads should have a form-based code implemented. Not many large vacant buildings remain and the ones that do mostly include redevelopment plans of some sort. As talk of more new construction heats up, it's time to start talking about setting defined rules for future developments. This type of approach might help in getting better quality projects built. I have my own form-based code in a Google Map for this area that a few architects I've tapped refer to since it's what's needed and common sense.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The last thing we need is more rules (and costs). That being said, GDAP is close isn’t it?
Last edited by normalthings on Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:38 pm A couple of cool and innovative things are in the works for the neighborhood. Will create positive changes if they're developed.

I think a new focus needs to be zeroed in on and that focus should be on smaller projects that fill in smaller lots near the streetcar. Save the bigger ones for grand and dense projects, but the smaller sites need some love. Some owners have held on to their lots for years without doing anything. Depending on who they are, they likely have enough money to construct smaller buildings to fit the focus I think should become the main focus.

It might also be getting close to the time when the River Market, Downtown, and Crossroads should have a form-based code implemented. Not many large vacant buildings remain and the ones that do mostly include redevelopment plans of some sort. As talk of more new construction heats up, it's time to start talking about setting defined rules for future developments. This type of approach might help in getting better quality projects built. I have my own form-based code in a Google Map for this area that a few architects I've tapped refer to since it's what's needed and common sense.
What type of "innovative" projects are we talking about?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^Design and feature wise. Breaks from the typical construction we’ve seen recently.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:57 pm The last thing we need is more rules (and costs). That being said, GDAP is close isn’t it?
Form based codes, in my view, aren’t more time consuming rules. They’re just directions that can help make development better instead of a mismatch of rules and views.

What’s GDAP?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:16 pm ^Design and feature wise. Breaks from the typical construction we’ve seen recently.
The main rule change we need to see is pressuring developers to always include some ground floor retail or office
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:17 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:57 pm The last thing we need is more rules (and costs). That being said, GDAP is close isn’t it?
Form based codes, in my view, aren’t more time consuming rules. They’re just directions that can help make development better instead of a mismatch of rules and views.

What’s GDAP?

Greater Downtown Area Plan.

A form based code would in theory have more weight behind it than an area plan. However, at the end of the day it comes down to a competent planning department, commission, and city council.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:40 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:16 pm ^Design and feature wise. Breaks from the typical construction we’ve seen recently.
The main rule change we need to see is pressuring developers to always include some ground floor retail or office
Especially in the Crossroads, which has a legitimate claim as KC's most walkable neighborhood.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:44 am Especially in the Crossroads, which has a legitimate claim as KC's most walkable neighborhood.
I typically agree with you, but this is a stretch (please pardon the pun). If you're referring just to the GDAP, then maybe. but "KC's"?
More walkable than...
River Market?
CBD?
South Plaza?
39th St. West?