Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by FangKC »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:34 pm To bring this back on topic, hopefully some of these issues can be aided by the Crossroads Community Improvement, District the area is putting together.

It’s frustrating that the community is taxing themselves extra to do a job that should already be done by the city and KCPD.
Evidence shows that having officers patrolling on foot and interacting with business owners reduces crime. When NYC started doing that again crime plummeted and people felt safer. Business owners are good sources of information for cops walking a beat. You can't do it citywide, but having these patrols downtown and on the Plaza makes sense. The only problem is that KCPD is woefully understaffed right now.

It's ridiculous that there is a need to hire security to patrol neighborhoods seeing that is the purpose of the police department.

I did see a foot patrol cop in the Crossroads a couple of weeks ago and chatted with her.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

On the topic of the military not taking care of its vets. It could always be better but think we need a slight distinction. They’re decent at taking care of physical injuries long term but terrible at mental illness care. I wonder how much of that is simply the complexity of mental health care.

And agree on more police presence. Recurring theme in here that we all agree on.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:51 pm
Dave, I don't know the laws here. Why did empty parking lots get off so easy when they are the worst about trash?
You gotta get the votes somehow...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:34 am On the topic of the military not taking care of its vets. It could always be better but think we need a slight distinction. They’re decent at taking care of physical injuries long term but terrible at mental illness care. I wonder how much of that is simply the complexity of mental health care.

And agree on more police presence. Recurring theme in here that we all agree on.
More distinction in that it's not the military taking care of its vets after they leave service. It's the Veterans Administration and the federal government (both Administration and Congress).
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:28 pm Sounds like Dialetic Engineering may be moving out to OP once their lease is up.

Not really new news - they’ve had frustrations at this Crossroads location since they signed the lease. But it’s quite a public statement from a growing firm downtown.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... lding.html

[img]
Ive lived within a 2 block radius of Dialectic for the last 13 years. I own a business 3 blocks away. I own two properties within 3 blocks. Not to say we don't have issues with crime in the neighborhood, we do, but show me an urban neighborhood that doesn't. I walk the neighborhood everyday, its no more or less safe than it was 13 years ago. Unlike Mr. Trees, we have many members of the community who are actually working to make it a better place, see CID campaign and kccrossroads.org . To say this guy is a notoriously unpopular member of the community is an understatement.

By my count, there are probably less than 50 homeless people in the neighborhood. We should strive for this number to be zero, and there are many things the city is working on to achieve this, but there is by no means an epidemic of homelessness.

I generally see a direct correlation between those who complain about lack of parking in the neighborhood, and those who complain about crime. If we continue to park every use in the neighborhood (office, retail, housing) with zero coordination, as we have essentially done for the last 20 years, we get totally empty streets devoid of pedestrians. This IMHO is the driving factor in the property crimes that create the narrative.

The CID is going to help alot, for a variety of reasons, but an active pedestrian presence is what is going to push the neighborhood forward. Creating walkable green spaces is the lowest hanging fruit, at least at a local level, and while things are moving painfully slow we do have commitments from the city (and our CID) to make a huge dent in this area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Rieger Hotel building books new restaurant tenant
The burgeoning Crossroads Arts District inspired the co-owners of Rockhill Restaurant Group to open another area restaurant. And the historic Rieger Hotel building at 1924 Main St. made an ideal fit for their cozy tavern.

Bret Springs and Zach Marten signed a lease to take over the space formerly occupied by the beloved The Rieger Hotel Grill & Exchange, which closed in October 2020 due to the pandemic. The Rieger produced a twice-nominated James Beard chef and landed on The New York Times’ 2020 list of the 10 “treasured diners and hidden haunts that Covid-19 closed for good."
The co-owners said hosting Miracle first gives them time to finalize the details, including the menu, for The Wise Guy Tavern. For Wise Guy, they plan to open in mid to late January. They don’t want the space to feel new. They want it to feel like a neighborhood tavern that’s been there for years. That’s partly why The Rieger was ideal — it still has the original brick and white tile floors with the R logo from when it opened in 1915.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... e=facebook
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Miracle Pop Up is open in the old Rieger space. Reservations are $20 per person.
https://miraclepopupkc.com/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:21 pm Miracle Pop Up is open in the old Rieger space. Reservations are $20 per person.
https://miraclepopupkc.com/
Guy's Bodega has also transitioned to a holiday pop-up.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0SIeEFJ62M/
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I commend places for trying, but no one has pulled off a fun adults holiday themed event yet here.

I miss the bundled up markets in Chicago, waiting for friends with hot spiced drinks, music, and wintery food and crafts.

Everyone here really hibernates for a few months.
Last edited by WoodDraw on Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:29 pm
Seriously. I hate it and refuse
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:29 pm I commend places for trying, but no one has pulled off a fun adults holiday themed event yet here.

I miss the bundled up markets in Chicago, waiting for friends with hot spiced drinks, music, and wintery food and crafts.

It feels like a real missed opportunity to not build a Christmas market on the Plaza every year. Nichols Road seems well-suited. A test run of pedestrianization!
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

It's crazy how many there are in Chicago too. We were there last year & ran up to visit friends in Wrigleyville only to discover they also had a Christmas market & all the nearby bars were themed up too.

Could have that EV site too.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

smh wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:06 am
WoodDraw wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:29 pm I commend places for trying, but no one has pulled off a fun adults holiday themed event yet here.

It feels like a real missed opportunity to not build a Christmas market on the Plaza every year. Nichols Road seems well-suited. A test run of pedestrianization!
This was my thought as well. Seems best situated for it with the holiday stuff well engrained already.

Union station is trying something but it's like a few nights, ticketed, and sold out. I want a place where people can just randomly show up!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

smh wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:06 am

The plaza businesses probably block it
The established tenants wouldn't want some local small business selling candles take away from the made in kc already selling candles. Made in KC needs the Christmas season to turn a profit.

The Christmas Market at the River Market is a perfect spot, you dont have really any existing businesses there to begin with.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Standing in a parking lot is the opposite of festive. I believe it closes at 5pm two days a week and is more of a family thing.

Cordish could do something but somehow they're even less fun than the plaza.

The Truman cap would be a fun place for it, but not if you keep the streets open.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:28 am The plaza businesses probably block it
The established tenants wouldn't want some local small business selling candles take away from the made in kc already selling candles. Made in KC needs the Christmas season to turn a profit.
The Plaza restaurants don't block the art fair because they're provided spaces front and center to sell food and drink on the street. You could apply the same logic to a Plaza Christkindlmarket.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

City Market's new holiday market is pretty lame. The could've done something cool but it's a big swing and miss.

The Holiday Swing in Crown Center is much better, especially with the ice skating there and the later hours. They could definitely go harder on the drinks, though, there's just one stand that's away from the craft tents but it has potential. It's got the crafts, drinks, bon fires, ice skating, mayor's christmas tree and big painted wood toys for the kids.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:14 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:28 am The plaza businesses probably block it
The Plaza restaurants don't block the art fair because they're provided spaces front and center to sell food and drink on the street. You could apply the same logic to a Plaza Christkindlmarket.
I believe they're the only ones allowed to sell? Give made in KC a good location, they'll make more money.

Also, it's not like a five hour event. You just go there and probably end up in a bar or restaurant after. I think it would be great for business.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Rope off the front of Union Station and make it a christmas market! It’s literally the facade of a roman european bathhouse like come on
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Union Station too monumental, Union Station plaza too vast. Must be human scaled and cozy to be Weihnachten gemultlichkeit.