New Topeka Blvd. Bridge Renderings

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

Slated to begin in 2006.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I dunno what the traffic is like in Topeka, but if that clock were on the Paseo Bridge I think it would only serve to infuriate drivers who would then be painfully reminded of how long they'd been sitting still. :lol:
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

Traffic is not bad. It will when they shut down the Blvd. Bridge and everyone has the use the Kansas Ave. Bridge. But nothing even close to KC traffic.
Ingersoll1978
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

That's one heck of a hot bridge! I think it looks great!
Check out what is happening in Des Moines!  www.absolutedsm.com
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

The bridge is really colorful. I'm not sure about the clock idea, how many wrecks do you think will take place right underneath that clock?
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I hate painted bridges. They look beautiful when they are built, but they never keep up the paint on them. They look terrible when the paint is faded and peeling.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: New Topeka Blvd. Bridge Renderings

Post by anniewarbucks »

The old Topeka Blvd Bridge was closed on August 1, 2006 for demolition. all traffic will be detured over to Kansas Ave. It will be touch and go for a while as the Kansas Ave. bridge is currently being modified to accept a new flyoff leading to the new Overland Station Museum.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Good 'ol Top City, my hometown. I had dreams of going back there after I finish my urban planning grad program at KU this next year to help it out, but I just don't think that city will get its shit together. If anyone is familiar with Topeka, then you'll know that it has a long history of anti-progressive leadership. For instance, WTF is up with the Shops at River Hill development? That theater is trash and now investors are pulling out because they don't think they'll make any money. You know that they were trying to make it Plaza-esque? After the city abandoned its DT in the mid 80's, things just went downhill. I guess you could say it's the prime example of urban sprawl at its worst.

As for the new bridge.....I'm hoping it will be nice. I wrote a 3 page letter to the mayor last year outlining what I thought the city should do for its riverfront. Hopefully something eventually happens with that, but I'm not crossing my fingers seeing as the city has always found a way to kill every good idea (Water Tower District). That Overland Station is nice too. My sister's wedding was there back in April and everyone had great things to say about it. Very spacious and great architecture. I'm looking forward to seeing it again with the new fountain out front.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

I'm a Topeka resident. Kansas City I think of as my second Home Town since I visit it often.

Topeka's leadership is always crap. Take it from me first hand. I was on the Riverfront Committee. Let's make that the FIRST committee. Not the second one that go a lot more juice.

I'm still activley involved with helping to bring a Professional Baseball team to Topeka. But without a Ballpark, it will be difficult. The city clearly will not spend a dime to make Downtown any better. A Ballpark could help out DT Topeka SO MUCH!

I'm currently working on my full-time hobby of a Topeka Sports History website:
http://www.topekasportshistory.com

Also, I plan on laying out all the details on what it will take to get a Baseball team in town. It might be easier than some think if they just plan correctly.

Anyways, the real reason I posted was to post a link to the Bridge Picutres on the City of Topeka website.
http://www.topeka.org/boulevardbridge/index.shtml
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

500 feet of the bridge was blown up at 1:00 Pm yesterday this section runs basicaly from the north end of the bridge to the Kansas River. they are also working on Jackhammering the deck on top of the Kansas River. I believe there is video of the explosion on www.wibw.com . there was only 2 people hurt from flying debris. A Topeka firefighter and a child. Both are doing just fine. I wish I could post pictures but my work schedual does not permit it.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I got to go up to the site today and shoot some pictures. They are in the skyscrapers user pics folder. I hope you enjoy as I will be shooting more probably next Wednesday hopefully from the same angles. can any one tell me how to rename the folders as I am having the fits.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

anniewarbucks wrote: can any one tell me how to rename the folders as I am having the fits.
In the "Admin Options" dropdown menu, select "Properties," and change the folder name from there and click save.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Thank you tosspot. Now to get rid of the empty albums that I put on. If there is a way. The pics are in the Topekablvdbridgeconstruction folder.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

anniewarbucks wrote: 500 feet of the bridge was blown up at 1:00 Pm yesterday this section runs basicaly from the north end of the bridge to the Kansas River. they are also working on Jackhammering the deck on top of the Kansas River. I believe there is video of the explosion on www.wibw.com . there was only 2 people hurt from flying debris. A Topeka firefighter and a child. Both are doing just fine. I wish I could post pictures but my work schedual does not permit it.
Are you Governor Sebelius?
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Hardly!!! I wish though. I am just an ordinary citizen with a knack for news.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

looks good! 
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I drove by the bridge today on the way up to Holton. I did not have enough time to get any pics but the bridge from the south levee to about 1 block south of Gordon is basicaly gone with only the support collumns sticking up out of the Kansas River. They are also starting to form the new support collumns for the new bridge 1 block north of the north levee. I am hoping to get some pictures next Wednesday.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I have a new set of photos that I shot today.

sorry for not posting some sooner but I was having to recoupe from my little visit to the nut nut ward LOL.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Good pics. I just realized that I haven't been over there since they first started demolishing it. I don't think I've crossed it since mid April. When is the new bridge supposed to be finished?