Bye Bye Wiz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Jhawkman02
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Jhawkman02 »

So long and thinks for the memories.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

think so? Don't think anybody local will pick them up?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Jhawkman02
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Jhawkman02 »

Its possible, I cant think of a person or family or some group big enough to buy a team and keep them here. Its more likely you will find a outside city who desperately wants to get on the major league map of soccer. Seattle, Philly, OKC and Houston are the top cities interested. Seattle thought they had a deal worked out with mls earlier in the year for expansion only to be denied for the smaller city of Salt Lake City. I dont know what to think of this, the league wants to expand but picks a city that is smaller that KC. Maybe the Wizards leaving will be a good thing for KC, though I hope not, I want them to stay. I think this will allow Hunt to focus more of his money and attention towards the Chiefs in getting to the Super Bowl and renovations or new stadium. I still find it hard to believe that Hunt is selling the Wizards and not one of the other two teams he owns. FC Dallas was on the verge of folding, this time last year they were playing in a high school football stadium and was drawing less than 10k per game. The Wizards on the other hand have averaged over 16k and every year increased their season ticket sales. Yet I am not on the inside of the organization so i dont see the financial status. I just wish that a local owner can buy the team and put more time, effor and money into the team than Hunt ever did.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hunt is using this as a poly for the Chiefs. I'm about to jump on PPA's bandwagon about Lamar.

A local person or group could easily buy the team for $10M and then bargin with a suburb somewhere to build them a facility. I have hope they will stay.....if anybody cares enough to keep them.

I'm thinking the group that owns teams like the Comets....they seem to always want more teams.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

It's not about the Wizards. Hunt isn't even giving the city an option to build a stadium. He is using this to teach KC a lesson for rejecting Bistate 2 - as in "reject me again and I'll move the Chiefs next time"
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

12/09/2004 3:21PM
Statement from Wizards owner Lamar Hunt
Kansas City Wizards Media Relations
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- "With the completion of the ninth season of Major League Soccer (and the Kansas City Wizards), it is appropriate to evaluate the status of the sport specifically as it relates to the team in Kansas City.
"It is my belief that the success of MLS teams and the sport itself will be dependant on and linked closely to the development of appropriate playing facilities, which have over time come to be referred to as "soccer specific stadiums". These stadiums are generally properly sized both as to capacity and field configuration, and probably most importantly provide freedom of scheduling and revenue potential. The reasons for this are therefore both artistic and financial. The positive impact on success for MLS teams now playing in those types of facilities has proven to be significant.

"Next season will see the opening of the third MLS soccer specific stadium - the one under construction for FC Dallas in the North Dallas suburb of Frisco. By the 2007 season, at least 8 of the 12 MLS teams will be playing in soccer specific stadiums in which scheduling, sponsorship rights and stadium related revenue streams will accrue to the benefit of those teams. The MLS has concluded that most, if not all, new teams to be added to the league will logically require such stadium facilities. This is no major surprise because teams in the more established sports of football, baseball, basketball and hockey have all reached the same basic policy conclusion relative to their sports.

"Relating to Kansas City - it is my belief that it will similarly not be feasible for the Wizards to succeed without such a facility. I must confess that I did not fully recognize this as a primary need when the league started.

"The recent failure of the Bi-State II Referendum which would have provided partial funding for the modernization of Arrowhead has put clearly into focus where the Hunt family priorities need to be and that is to resolve our Chiefs stadium issues in order to assure the long range competitive success of the Chiefs in Mid-America. For that reason, we have reluctantly decided that it is appropriate that we put the Kansas City Wizards up for sale. Such a sale would provide a first priority to a buyer from this metropolitan area and most importantly will, I feel, need to include a doable plan for a soccer specific stadium. Such a sale, when accomplished, will follow the MLS' long range goal to help better focus team management on a traditional one-team-per-one-ownership-group pattern.

"In the event a buyer in the Kansas City Metropolitan Area does not come forward, we will of necessity also look elsewhere for a solution. The MLS has recently expanded from 10 to 12 teams and there is a time urgency to this subject because the playing schedule for the 2005 season can be expected to be complete during December.

"There is little doubt that the MLS is on its way to becoming a successful sports league. Many communities across America are interested in having an MLS team and it is probable that the MLS will be expanding by another two teams by the 2007 season. Over time, as other communities develop appropriate playing facilities, the league will further expand its national footprint much as have the four more established team sports.

"We do not have a specific "timeline" for the accomplishment of our goals relative to the Wizards, however, I sense that this will be a fast moving subject. The Wizards have already begun their season ticket renewal process and have already received deposits for renewals from 50% of their 2004 ticket accounts. We appreciate the hardcore group of fans who support the organization and feel that group can be expected to grow because of the recently completed season in which the Wizards tied for the best regular season record in the MLS, won the U.S. Open Cup and finished as runner-up in the MLS Cup Championship Game.

"So that we may provide an appropriate voice on the matter, I would ask that I be the sole contact person with the Wizards organization relative to this subject. I am open to any media questions today, but will say in advance that I will not speculate regarding the "timeline" for this process. Other than answering questions today, I do not anticipate answering other inquiries on this subject until the process is complete
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dangerboy wrote:It's not about the Wizards. Hunt isn't even giving the city an option to build a stadium. He is using this to teach KC a lesson for rejecting Bistate 2 - as in "reject me again and I'll move the Chiefs next time"
Good luck selling avg. $75 tickets to 80,000 people for 15 years w/ 2 playoff wins.

I do agree this is Lamar and his little power play. I hope the Comets guy comes in and buys them up (will Lamar even allow another local owner just to "teach the lesson") and then gets a suburb to build them a soccer complex.

If they leave it doesn't hurt me too much but I'd rather they stay.

KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

For that reason, we have reluctantly decided that it is appropriate that we put the Kansas City Wizards up for sale. Such a sale would provide a first priority to a buyer from this metropolitan area and most importantly will, I feel, need to include a doable plan for a soccer specific stadium.

OVERLAND PARK: THIS IS YOUR CHANCE. JUMP ON IT NOW.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCNorthlander wrote:For that reason, we have reluctantly decided that it is appropriate that we put the Kansas City Wizards up for sale. Such a sale would provide a first priority to a buyer from this metropolitan area and most importantly will, I feel, need to include a doable plan for a soccer specific stadium.

OVERLAND PARK: THIS IS YOUR CHANCE. JUMP ON IT NOW.
Exactly, quit wasting your time with these stupid arenas and build a nice suburban soccer stadium.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

soccer stadiums aren't as flexible as arenas. However, once the arena war is over, maybe the loser will jump on this. Even though it would SUCK to have to go all the way to Olathe for a soccer game.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

I want to see KCK put in a bid. Build it out by the speedway/Woodlands/T-Bones. I don't think too many in JoCo would have a problem with that.
Last edited by KCN on Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

first an owner is needed. I agree though build a soccer complex you idiots.

Jhawkman02
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Jhawkman02 »

damn you beat me to it, i was going to say that
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I still think the ultimate location would be at 435 & 103rd, east of Executive Hills East and south of 435. Right smack between JoCo and East Jack, yet easy to get to from the northland and KCK. High profile, high visibility location with lots of room for soccer fields etc. Only problem is that it’s in KCMO and KCMO has its hands full right now.
Jhawkman02
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Jhawkman02 »

How about on the Riverfront area, they have been trying to get that going for years, this would seem like a good place to help develope they area. Plus its downtown and in the middle for everyone.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd prefer no soccer stadium on the riverfront. Too much prime land for a struggling league.

Jhawkman02
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Jhawkman02 »

As long as the team doesnt leave. I just want all the major league teams the city can get.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Wait and see if we can get a downtown baseball stadium, then Kauffman could be reconfigured for soccer. Take off the outfield and the upper deck, and you have a 20,000 seat stadium all ready to go.

While something on the south end of I-435 makes sense today, in 10-15 the suburbs won't be as lopsided as they are now. A stadium that far south doesn't make much sense when the future suburban growth is shifting decidely northward.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

FUCK LAMAR HUNT!!!! :evil:

I'm depressed.... and sick.... :(
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

F*** LAMAR HUNT!!!! :evil:

Sadly, because this is the internet, this is the only finger I can give the Cry baby Lamar Hunt...

[-X

Sadly, because this is the internet, this is the only thing I can do to the Back-Stabber Lamar Hunt...

:puke:

WHAT ELSE CAN A KANSAS CITIAN DO?
KC is the way to be!