Will Lee's Summit be the next Overland Park?

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
The Summit
Pad site
Pad site

Post by The Summit »

I have lived out here all my life and this area (Lee's Summit and surrounding areas) is growing and building up like never before. Everybody keeps talking about northtown and kansas, but have any of you been to LS lately? Although much of the growth is still occuring away from the highways, I-470 and 50 are really starting to show how big LS is getting. I challenge anyone to take a drive to LS and drive 470, 50 and some of the newer residential corridors, I think this sleeping giant is about to catch the rest of the metro by surprise.

And you would not believe how many JO plates are showing up in new home driveways!

Also, I enjoy the site and am all for the urban core stuff. I think most people out here feel the same way but there is a lot of talk about creating some very large office parks out here which will help my commute via the triangle to 435 & Holmes. Speaking of which, there are new message board signs on 470 and 435, anybody know much about that? Traffic jams are just incredible in that corridor.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

KC Scout ITS System:

Modot will begin reconstruction of I-70 east of 470 this year and the Scout system will be expanded.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

more info on kc scout:

http://kcscout.net/

KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

To anwser the original question, KC will have three major suburban corridors in the future.

435 on the south side

470 on the southeast and east side

I-29

I was just randomly killing time and driving around the mall area. I'm not into suburban stuff, but it's pretty amazing seeing so much under construction at the same time. The mall now has a waiting list of tennants even though there are shopping centers being built all around it. This is in addition to Summit Woods and other area new centers. Why the boom all of the sudden and where did these people shop before?
Last edited by KCgridlock on Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Are you talking about Independence Center? I.C. would be a lot smaller without the Lee's Summit commuters. Lee's Summit needs its own mall.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

I do see Lee's Summit becoming a major competitor for Overland Park in the near future(talking like from now for the next couple of decades). I think they're very compatible as far as how they lay on the outer belts of the city and seem to be inhabited by mid-upper class working people, although i think Lee's Summits demographics are or will surpass Overland Park's dems. No matter how much Lee's Summit grows though, I think the Northland will exceed all our expectations of growth anywhere in Kansas City.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

I agree with both of you.

Trailer, I think you are right. Most of the commercial development in eastern Independence is a direct result of Lee's Summit growth to the south.

I do think that people under estimate the amount of people and disposable income there is east of I-435 (like the northland). It's about the size of JoCo.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Lee's Summitt the next Overland Park?

This must be bad news for the inner core of KCMO....right?
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

I would move to Lee's Summit in a heartbeat. I've always loved that area of Jackson Co. I interned a few years ago at the National Weather Service in Pleasant Hill and drove the 470/50 corridors every day (Gladstone to Pleasant Hill 5 times a week...that'll drive you crazy). The development was amazing. I can see why people would want to relocate there from JoCo. Very pretty, wooded area.

Also, I want to express my extreme disappointment in the KCscout locations. Once again the northland is all but completely neglected.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

Well, I agree, the east suburbs have grown on me. The area is not like the rest of the city. I mean there are lakes everywhere and forests and cliffs. Drive around 470 and 40 hwy and the terrain contours change so quickly with homes way up overlooking other homes. And The lakes are great, some are reserves or parks, the other or nearing build-out as recreational neighborhoods. The area also has the little blue river running through it (with popular trail along side it) and the two metro areas largest nature reserves of Burr Oaks and James A Reed. If your gonna live in the burbs, well you get the idea.

Also, no, it's not the best news for the urban core, but as I stated before, suburban growth in eastern Jack and northland is for better for the overall health of the metro area. Those are Missouri and more likely KCMO tax paying citizens out there and I can tell you that they have a lot more interest in urban KCMO's urban core and helping fix it than most Kansans do. They have already proved they will build and maintain major regional attractions and new residents will think that way as well rather than the crap the new residents learn in JoCo, (how bad KCMO is, keep you money in KS etc etc.)
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KCgridlock wrote:...rather than the crap the new residents learn in JoCo, (how bad KCMO is, keep you money in KS etc etc.)
I was never taught this nugget of wisdom. I heard it from you, just now, for the first time.

Why is that?
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Now if Missouri would only allow everyone to get rid of the front license plate so I can put my Irish flag plate on my car if I decide to relocate from Kansas. Plus, the driver's licenses are ugly...I owned a Missouri ID for two years while attending UMKC (obviously cheatin' tuition).
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

KCNorthlander wrote:Also, I want to express my extreme disappointment in the KCscout locations. Once again the northland is all but completely neglected.
First phase went where the traffic is, mostly south, although it does include I-29 from the loop to the split and the Broadway and Heart of America Bridges.
KCONTHEGO
Surface Lot

Post by KCONTHEGO »

Isn't there suppose to be another shoppping center in the works for Lee's Summit???
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

KCONTHEGO wrote:Isn't there suppose to be another shoppping center in the works for Lee's Summit???
There are several in the works, Douglas Square probably the biggest, but they are nothing abnormal for a fast growing burb.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

KCgridlock wrote:
KCNorthlander wrote:Also, I want to express my extreme disappointment in the KCscout locations. Once again the northland is all but completely neglected.
First phase went where the traffic is, mostly south, although it does include I-29 from the loop to the split and the Broadway and Heart of America Bridges.
By the time you get to the bridges there really is no point, you're already in the middle of traffic if there is any.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

The bridges will have camera everwhere. It will more for internet and radio broadcasts.

I used to live in the Northland and there just isn't that much traffic up there. I think the recent closing of the Paseo proves that because it really didn't cause the havic that everyone predicted.

The northland has about 300,000 people and it has NINE limited access bridges crossing the river (435,635,69,169,9,29/35,Choutou,435,291).

Eastern Jack has 400,000 and I-70 and I-470
JoCo has 400,000 and I-35

The bridges are nothing compared to backups on I-70, I-470, US71, I-435 (most every part of I-435 is congested south of the river), and I-35.

Nobody has an easier commute than people from Wyandotte though, I have never in my life been in a rush hour traffic jam over there.

Anyway, I do think the Northland need to stay on top of it though as the Northland is exploding faster than any other area of the metro.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Inbound backups usually don't go more than a mile or two north of the bridges, and those areas are covered by the cameras. The first phase is focusing on the areas with the most congestion.

The Northland is not being neglected, it just doesn't have the congestion yet that other areas have.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

StL_Dan wrote:
KCgridlock wrote:...rather than the crap the new residents learn in JoCo, (how bad KCMO is, keep you money in KS etc etc.)
I was never taught this nugget of wisdom. I heard it from you, just now, for the first time.

Why is that?
People new to the area are routinely steered to JoCo by real estate agents or relocation companies. The general message is that the Missouri side is dangerous, has crappy schools, and low housing values - even thougth this only applies to a small percentage of the area.

I know and/or have talked to many people who specifically requested central/urban neighborhoods only to be consistently guided to JoCo. Or if they flat out insisted on Missouri got steered to Lee's Summit or Parkville.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

KCgridlock wrote:I used to live in the Northland and there just isn't that much traffic up there. I think the recent closing of the Paseo proves that because it really didn't cause the havic that everyone predicted.
You're right, the traffic is not as bad as other parts, but it can still get bad. I have had to wait over 30 min on 435 going south by worlds of fun, and have also encountered bad traffic on I-35/29 in NKC (both usually caused by construction).

I am mostly disappointed they are ignoring 435 near WOF because that gets congested a lot, especially on busy WOF days or Chiefs games.

I just think it would make sense to put signs up for city-bound traffic before you get to a major interchange that motorists could detour on. (Such as at I-435 and I-35 in Clay County so people would know to take 435 around the city if they need to).