Censorship...

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
Sonfire
Strip mall
Strip mall

Censorship...

Post by Sonfire »

Many people on the internet nowadays operate from public places using public internet access which has an internet block on it. Many times, this website has been blocked because it "exceeds amount of intolerable words"... if you were to censor this (I think most message board systems have some sort of censoring tool) and replace it with a more polite or less noticed form of the word, it would be at the greater interest of people on this forum.
"Your stupid."
"My stupid what?"

"Y-o-u-r... y-o-u-apostrophe-r-e... they're as different as night and day.  Don't you think that night and day are different?  What's wrong with you?"
-Strong Bad
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Censorship...

Post by KCPowercat »

wow, I'm in the business of blocking sites and I've never heard of that. What type of place is this? library? does it say what words?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Censorship...

Post by chrizow »

i know that some elementary school and junior high computer labs have things like that. i cant imagine public libraries would be that hardcore.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Censorship...

Post by KCPowercat »

if we're talking about middle school and down then I don't see a big need to censor...you should be studying!!!! (like I should be working) :)

Sonfire
Strip mall
Strip mall

Censorship...

Post by Sonfire »

Actually, this is a web block called Symantec Web Security that I've got at home and that the mid continent library system uses.
"Your stupid."
"My stupid what?"

"Y-o-u-r... y-o-u-apostrophe-r-e... they're as different as night and day.  Don't you think that night and day are different?  What's wrong with you?"
-Strong Bad
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Censorship...

Post by KCPowercat »

libraries block content? I thought that type of censorship was thrown out?

Sonfire
Strip mall
Strip mall

Censorship...

Post by Sonfire »

I didn't think so... I think different library systems have different policy, though.
"Your stupid."
"My stupid what?"

-Strong Bad