Bi-State III (yes that's three)

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
pittsburghparoyal wrote:I don't buckle under weak threats, like some people who post here do.
Blow it out your ass, Pitt! Jus' because I want to spend my tax money on upgrading the Truman Sports Complex doesn't mean I'm buckling under Lamar's weak threats. I was born and raised in Kansas City, I don't mind spending my money to make our city's amenities/attractions/stadiums better.
Or fattening Lamar's wallet.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Bistate tax plan for transportation gains momentum
Rob Roberts
Staff Writer

The idea of a bistate sales tax for public transit is gaining traction in the metropolitan area, supporters said.

In November, voters rejected a quarter-cent bistate tax that would have raised about $1 billion for stadium renovations and the arts. Yet David Warm, executive director of Mid-America Regional Council, is optimistic that Kansas and Missouri lawmakers will authorize a half-cent of new bistate tax authority for transportation.

They might not do it during the 2005 legislative sessions, however, Warm said.

"We're going to have to do a lot of exploration with legislators before we set a firm timetable," he said. "Our intent is to introduce the concept this session, but whether we get it done in a single pass remains a wide-open question."

The current plan, which the Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce is promoting in the business community, calls for bistate sales tax financing for MARC's Smart Moves regional transit plan, trails and traffic-management improvements.

"There seems to be broad public consensus about the first two of those," Warm said. "Our plan now is to begin broadening the conversation to include the legislators."

MARC had considered asking legislators to amend the current bistate tax-enabling legislation to allow expenditures for transit as well as sports and arts projects.

But council officials have decided to distance the transportation proposal from past bistate controversies by seeking separate enabling legislation and referring to the tax by another name -- "a regional funding mechanism."

Another difference from the bistate tax killed in November is that the new tax would not have to pass in Johnson, Jackson and Clay counties to take effect. It could be collected in any of the seven metro counties where voters approve it.

Kansas Senate Vice President John Vratil, R-Leawood, said any tinkering with bistate legislation this session could kill the potential for future bistate taxes.

"I think that's clearly a possibility, if not a probability," Vratil said. "The conservative wing of the Republican Party is much stronger in the House than it was before the elections, and the conservative position tends to be anti-bistate, anti-any tax."

But even conservative Kansas Sen. Kay O'Connor, R-Olathe, said she liked the idea of regional financing for public transit.

"The current bistate compact is nothing more than greedy Missouri people eyeing the wealthy folks in Johnson County and saying, 'We want some,'" she said.

O'Connor said she would support a bistate tax for public transit if Kansas and Missouri money is kept separate and under the stewardship of elected boards.

"I think metropolitan transportation is much more sellable as an idea for bistate than anything else I've heard," O'Connor said.

Missouri state Rep. Yvonne Wilson, D-Kansas City, agreed.

"Many of my constituents have a very difficult time getting to and from work, getting to grocery stores, getting to their doctors," Wilson said. "But before I render my support, I want to make sure it will positively impact the core of the city and my constituents east of Troost."

Warm said Smart Moves would "connect literally every corner of the region." It calls for seven bus rapid-transit routes along the big corridors, nonstop freeway express service, additional local routes and either commuter rail or dedicated high-occupancy vehicle lanes along Interstate 35 in Johnson County and Interstate 70 in Eastern Jackson County.

Warm said Smart Moves would build on systems operated by the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority, Johnson County Transit and Unified Government Transit.

The cost of the program has been estimated at $155 million a year. MARC hopes to raise about $65 million of that total regionally.

Mark Huffer, general manager of the KCATA, said Kansas City's transportation system is limited by its financing scheme.

"We are unique in that our only dedicated funding source is the largest city in our urbanized area," Huffer said. "Virtually all other transit systems are funded on more of a regional basis. Usually, it's at least a countywide tax. Many times it's a multiple-county tax. And there are some examples of bistate taxes."

Reach Rob Roberts at 816-421-5900 or rroberts@bizjournals.com.

© 2005 American City Business Journals Inc.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

trailerkid wrote:
Another difference from the bistate tax killed in November is that the new tax would not have to pass in Johnson, Jackson and Clay counties to take effect. It could be collected in any of the seven metro counties where voters approve it.

I'm not sure I understand this. Does that mean that each county would have their part in their county that they would be responsible for paying for and if the tax didn't pass their then they wouldn't get any of the benefits? Or does that mean that whatever counties passed it would be responsible for paying for the thing metro wide? Hopefully that made sense?
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

trailerkid wrote:But even conservative Kansas Sen. Kay O'Connor, R-Olathe, said she liked the idea of regional financing for public transit.

"The current bistate compact is nothing more than greedy Missouri people eyeing the wealthy folks in Johnson County and saying, 'We want some,'" she said.

O'Connor said she would support a bistate tax for public transit if Kansas and Missouri money is kept separate and under the stewardship of elected boards.
:roll:

And people wonder why everybody else hates Olathe. They keep electing this stupid bitch.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Bi-State III (yes that's three)

Post by trailerkid »

http://www.kcnag.com/ is reporting that KCPT will have a special on April 8 (tomorrow) about Bistate III. I'm assuming it will be KC Week in Review. KCNAG says the program will discuss the future of KC's notorious regional tax.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

trailerkid wrote: http://www.kcnag.com/ is reporting that KCPT will have a special on April 8 (tomorrow) about Bistate III. I'm assuming it will be KC Week in Review. KCNAG says the program will discuss the future of KC's notorious regional tax.
completely off-topic but I just picked up a DVR and have it recording Ruckus and KC WIR every week so I can watch it when I want since I don't seem to be around the house when they are on.  I love this thing.

OK, back to Bi-State III
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

KCPowercat wrote: completely off-topic but I just picked up a DVR and have it recording Ruckus and KC WIR every week so I can watch it when I want since I don't seem to be around the house when they are on.  I love this thing.

OK, back to Bi-State III
You were just gonna explode if you didn't tell us that huh?  LMAO!!!!  That's alright PC, I was thinking about getting one of those myself.  I wish they would come out with one where I could burn the programs to DVD though.  I'd love to save the Chiefs games to disc.  It would be really cool if there were ever a freak accident, such as the Chiefs winning the Super Bowl, to have the entire season saved to DVD.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thrillcekr wrote: You were just gonna explode if you didn't tell us that huh? LMAO!!!! That's alright PC, I was thinking about getting one of those myself. I wish they would come out with one where I could burn the programs to DVD though. I'd love to save the Chiefs games to disc. It would be really cool if there were ever a freak accident, such as the Chiefs winning the Super Bowl, to have the entire season saved to DVD.
well I think they do have them via Tivo but not time warner...could always buy a dvd-recorder and route your dvr broadcasts through that.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc