KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by normalthings »

dev49 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:13 am Portland on Alaska getting upgraded to a 737 for summer.

Also noticed Austin on AA is down to once a day. Didn’t realize that or if I did, I forgot.
Triple daily Seattle on Alaska

June 15th - August 14th
MCI - SEA 7:00am
MCI - SEA 2:00pm
MCI - PDX 2:55pm
MCI - SEA 7:55pm

Southwest Changes:

MCI-MKE/MSP/IND/SAT are back

MCI-IND 11x weekly
MCI-SAT 7x weekly
MCI-DEN up to 8x daily
MCI-LAS up to 5x daily
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:43 pm
dev49 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:13 am Portland on Alaska getting upgraded to a 737 for summer.

Also noticed Austin on AA is down to once a day. Didn’t realize that or if I did, I forgot.

June 15th - August 14th

Southwest Changes:

MCI-IND 11x weekly
MCI-SAT 7x weekly
MCI-DEN up to 8x daily
MCI-LAS up to 5x daily
IND already was back in the last update. Good to see the others back though.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dev49 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:53 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:43 pm

June 15th - August 14th

Southwest Changes:

MCI-IND 11x weekly
MCI-SAT 7x weekly
MCI-DEN up to 8x daily
MCI-LAS up to 5x daily
IND already was back in the last update. Good to see the others back though.
Your right. I think frequency might be up? I don’t think it was as high before but I could be wrong.
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

I like the MCI>PDX - just wish it was a little earlier.

Also glad to see MKE back on.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

SWA will offer 6.2% more seats than pre-Covid
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Went through the flights in the July Southwest update.
Minneapolis and Milwaukee are back both 6x a week
Destin and Sarasota both are not in the schedule, same as June
Routes with weekday increases over June schedule BWI/DAL/DEN/HOU/LAS/SAT/MSP/MKE

vs July 2019
Looks like it is up about 3 flights a day during the week to 75
Up 1 on Saturdays to 62
Up 3 on Sundays to 77

Nice to see it back over 2019.

All assuming I counted right.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:12 pm SWA will offer 6.2% more seats than pre-Covid
For next July per aviation department
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:12 pm SWA will offer 6.2% more seats than pre-Covid
35% yoy increase. 5th largest total capacity increase of any city in their network.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:00 am
35% yoy increase. 5th largest total capacity increase of any city in their network.
I’d go ahead and take a guess and say this is partially influenced by the new terminal, but I’m just spitballing
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:11 am
I’d go ahead and take a guess and say this is partially influenced by the new terminal, but I’m just spitballing
Alaska will be up 80%.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

I think that helps, combined with post COVID travel rebound. The interesting thing about SW is that I think they are at, or have exceeded capacity, from prior to pandemic
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:59 am

Alaska will be up 80%.
Thanks to 3X to SEA and a 737 to PDX
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

hartliss wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:07 am

I think that helps, combined with post COVID travel rebound. The interesting thing about SW is that I think they are at, or have exceeded capacity, from prior to pandemic
We were behind on southwest catching back up to pre covid level. So I think the jump is a little inflated due to that. Some of that could like mentioned be terminal related though. They held it back until the terminal was ready.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Maybe the people of the KC region will stop having this weird love affair with their beloved SW Airlines. Seriously, I know 3 people at work who will only fly them. I really think the writing has been on the wall for awhile at SW, they have been cutting corners left and right over the years, the safety record has been going downhill, the software they use is outdated, the software is one of the reasons why SW does not run red eye flights, SW is never the cheapest anymore among the legacy carriers. With this fiasco, it would be great to see some of legacy carriers grow at KCI and take away the SW market share little by little.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:13 am Maybe the people of the KC region will stop having this weird love affair with their beloved SW Airlines. Seriously, I know 3 people at work who will only fly them. I really think the writing has been on the wall for awhile at SW, they have been cutting corners left and right over the years, the safety record has been going downhill, the software they use is outdated, the software is one of the reasons why SW does not run red eye flights, SW is never the cheapest anymore among the legacy carriers. With this fiasco, it would be great to see some of legacy carriers grow at KCI and take away the SW market share little by little.
While this is definitely a huge misstep by SW, I honestly don’t see legacy carrier domination as being any better, I’ve been consistently let down by the likes of American and United far more than I have Southwest. It’s not really a weird love affair either when they had the quantity of destinations that they did, it’s the most logical options for people wanting to avoid connections.

40% market share is definitely steep, and concerning when they mess up this bad. Other airlines are more than capable of a misstep this bad as well, so I think keeping a healthy market share for each airline here would be the best bet, like a retirement portfolio, diversification is key.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:52 am
brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:13 am Maybe the people of the KC region will stop having this weird love affair with their beloved SW Airlines. Seriously, I know 3 people at work who will only fly them. I really think the writing has been on the wall for awhile at SW, they have been cutting corners left and right over the years, the safety record has been going downhill, the software they use is outdated, the software is one of the reasons why SW does not run red eye flights, SW is never the cheapest anymore among the legacy carriers. With this fiasco, it would be great to see some of legacy carriers grow at KCI and take away the SW market share little by little.
While this is definitely a huge misstep by SW, I honestly don’t see legacy carrier domination as being any better, I’ve been consistently let down by the likes of American and United far more than I have Southwest. It’s not really a weird love affair either when they had the quantity of destinations that they did, it’s the most logical options for people wanting to avoid connections.
They might have a quantity of destinations but they are only running like 1 flight a day to most of these destinations and some of the departure times are just awful now, some destinations the departure times change from month to month. To the West Coast it would probably be more efficient to take an early morning flight and layover in PHX/SLC/DEN since most of the connections are very short on the first flight out of the day. I would rather have more frequency with smaller layover times then a random 330 pm flight that lands into LAX at 5pm
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:52 am

40% market share is definitely steep, and concerning when they mess up this bad. Other airlines are more than capable of a misstep this bad as well, so I think keeping a healthy market share for each airline here would be the best bet, like a retirement portfolio, diversification is key.
Seasoned travelers would 100% prefer that, but that isn’t the primary demographic that utilizes WN, people traveling with kids, families, and people with multiple bags are the ones flying WN, and those folks really only care about how many times they’d have to change planes
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I never fly SW. That's somewhat because I have accumulated a huge amount of United and American miles while travelling a lot during my career but SW really was never a good fit for my travel habits. I like to be assured an aisle seat because I am very tall and SW, even with paying for early boarding, leaves too much to chance.

I did see this morning an article showing the uptick in flights at KCI in 2023 over 2022. Given the destinations adding the most flights, I am assuming these are generally SW flights being added. From the table in the article, it shows a net gain of 363 flights in March alone. Unfortunately, there are some flights being cut to the places I'd like to go (Austin, SLC, Miami and Philadelphia) while more are being added to SW hubs. So in reality, probably fewer direct flights and just more of the same - fights to hubs?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/d ... 72789d3de0
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:24 pm
I never fly SW. That's somewhat because I have accumulated a huge amount of United and American miles while travelling a lot during my career but SW really was never a good fit for my travel habits. I like to be assured an aisle seat because I am very tall and SW, even with paying for early boarding, leaves too much to chance.

I did see this morning an article showing the uptick in flights at KCI in 2023 over 2022. Given the destinations adding the most flights, I am assuming these are generally SW flights being added. From the table in the article, it shows a net gain of 363 flights in March alone. Unfortunately, there are some flights being cut to the places I'd like to go (Austin, SLC, Miami and Philadelphia) while more are being added to SW hubs. So in reality, probably fewer direct flights and just more of the same - fights to hubs?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/d ... 72789d3de0
For the most part you are seeing a decline in tourism driven routes and routes with strong LCC presence. Ie florida is getting cut from every city because costs make it unprofitable for the ULCCs and even Southwest to same degree.

Austin had San Antonio’s added next door.

KC to Philly had been a Frontier and American route. Frontier cut the route so you are seeing them bow out.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

SW used to be my favorite simply because they typically had the lowest base ticket price and a free checked bag in addition. There has been price creep so they no longer have any favored place in my mind. I don't travel for work, I am price sensitive, I travel by airplane 3-5 times a year at most over the last few years. Not having status on any airline I have been increasingly disgusted by the airlines' treatment of customers especially as I have been bitten in the ass several times since pandemic. In June I was caught in a mass cancellation event flying ATL to MCI on Delta. They couldn't rebook us for well over 48 hrs and I rented a car and drove the whole way rather than suffer multiple nights in whatever shitty hotel comp they were offering. Last holiday season I ended up having to drive from Jackson Hole to SLC to catch a flight after getting cancelled on and a 48hr+ wait to be rebooked on the same route, that was with United. In September 2021 practically my entire family experienced cancellations across multiple airlines trying to come to my wedding causing many of them to arrive in Long Island NY a day late via Baltimore, Philadelphia and Hartford + trains, ferries, and cars. The system is incredibly fragile and cannot be relied upon by the average traveler. I'm so sick of it.