KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by dev49 »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:33 am
dev49 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:43 pm This probably doesn’t help the chances of a new international flight being to Amsterdam.

Gov is cutting back how many movements it can have a year by over 10%

https://apnews.com/article/netherlands- ... 9453b58f21
I am no expert, but I would say that more of those less profitable short haul routes would be on the chopping block as landing fees would be going up. A potential subsidized international route probably would just mean ticket prices are more expensive.
I’d agree most chopped are short haul but when you are cutting back 12% off the top then to add you have to cut even more. Plus you need short haul for connections for long haul.

Might not end up mattering but I still would think it lessens chances of KC getting there. At least if it’s going to be next year.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Noticed Justin Meyer is on his way to Düsseldorf. Could mean nothing but Eurowings is headquartered there. Also looks to be on a Eurowings flight. Could be reading to much into it though.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Justin Meyer posted about visiting Düsseldorf today. Eurowings HQ is there
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Nobody is going to Düsseldorf on Vacation
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:20 am Nobody is going to Düsseldorf on Vacation
Eurowings maintains a long haul hub out of Frankfurt from which i'm assuming the flight would operate to if they chose KC, they're owned by Lufthansa.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

trexel94 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:05 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:20 am Nobody is going to Düsseldorf on Vacation
Eurowings maintains a long haul hub out of Frankfurt from which i'm assuming the flight would operate to if they chose KC, they're owned by Lufthansa.
KC Star or Business Journal reported aviation department was heading to Europe over the next 2 weeks to meet with various airlines. This lines up with that.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

trexel94 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:05 pm
Eurowings discover doesn’t even fly out of Düsseldorf. Only Frankfurt and Munich. Eurowings headquarters is in Düsseldorf.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

That guy from the aviation department tweeted his next stop is to meet with airlines in the UK
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Will the new airport, for those coming from international destinations (minus Europe since there aren't flights there yet) have the Passport control for United States citizens where they can just use an app on their phone and get in? It was so easy when I came back from London that I wish it was used everywhere.

With the new airport being so technologically advanced compared to the old one, you'd expect the latest and greatest technology to be used in the security and Customs divisions to give travelers a mostly painless/stress-free experience.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Re: Denver hub traffic and expansion to KCI.

I was watching a doc last night about the Denver Airport and they said the current airport is designed to handle about 50mil passengers a year. They are currently running about 60mil a year. The projected 2040 load is 100mil a year, which they think the current expansion will handle. The airport has 6 runways but the master plan is for 12.

That said, I have to imagine the airlines are looking to offload some of that traffic to other airports, which I would assume would be our best chance at getting a small airline hub or a secondary hub for an existing major carrier.

Also justifies the rail to the Denver airport.

Somebody who knows things can correct me.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

When I was working at MCI on the ramp for a third party servicing UA, word has it, United has its eye on KC for its next “hub” if not a hub, at least a maintenance hangar to take stress off DEN, IAH, and ORD. Pilots daily were asking me about it when I would push planes, and UA MCI staff were constantly mentioning things about it, I have the map for where all the new concessions will be in the airport I just don’t know how to load a photo onto this website.

Although seven months of working there, our city is putting band-aids on the current facility until the new one opens, they do a pretty good job of masking how bad of shape MCI is really in. But keep your eyes on UA and forget about southwest. Word has it too they’ll have 15 mainlines per day on top of their regional flights too.

Terminal B will be raised and turned into a deicing pad, the parking garage will be kept for employees and a access tunnel / walkway will be built so they don’t have to endure the elements.

Terminal C is being turned into office space, and a space for charter flights. Amazon is also considering expanding operations.

United and Delta will share concourse space, I know United will be in the cove on the northside facing east, Spirt and frontier being nearby.

I believe Southwest and American will be facing runway 19 R. Correct me if I’m wrong. We are also getting a few other budget airlines that are small right now, although fly in other parts of the country.

Supposedly United has looked at overhaul as a base, although since I do not work at the airport anymore I don’t have the inside scoop. All I know is that United is deeply looking into a MCI more so than any other airline.

Y’all have to remember too, that with international flights comes larger aircraft, which also means different ground equipment and more training along with custom seals for everyone working those flights meaning not just anyone can work those flights, not to mention everything else that comes with international travel.
Last edited by Noahfleshman on Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Nice info. Welcome to the rag!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Thanks and Welcome to the Rag!
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:30 pm When I was working at MCI on the ramp for a third party servicing UA, word has it, United has its eye on KC for its next “hub” if not a hub, at least a maintenance hangar to take stress off DEN, IAH, and ORD. Pilots daily were asking me about it when I would push planes, and UA MCI staff were constantly mentioning things about it, I have the map for where all the new concessions will be in the airport I just don’t know how to load a photo onto this website.

Although seven months of working there, our city is putting band-aids on the current facility until the new one opens, they do a pretty good job of masking how bad of shape MCI is really in. But keep your eyes on UA and forget about southwest. Word has it too they’ll have 15 mainlines per day on top of their regional flights too.

Terminal B will be raised and turned into a deicing pad, the parking garage will be kept for employees and a access tunnel / walkway will be built so they don’t have to endure the elements.

Terminal C is being turned into office space, and a space for charter flights. Amazon is also considering expanding operations.

United and Delta will share concourse space, I know United will be in the cove on the northside facing east, Spirt and frontier being nearby.

I believe Southwest and American will be facing runway 19 R. Correct me if I’m wrong. We are also getting a few other budget airlines that are small right now, although fly in other parts of the country.

Supposedly United has looked at overhaul as a base, although since I do not work at the airport anymore I don’t have the inside scoop. All I know is that United is deeply looking into a MCI more so than any other airline.

Y’all have to remember too, that with international flights comes larger aircraft, which also means different ground equipment and more training along with custom seals for everyone working those flights meaning not just anyone can work those flights, not to mention everything else that comes with international travel.
I can already tell you're going to be quite popular here! Thanks for the juicy insider info but many questions remain.

Any more tea on international carriers?

How many gates will UA have?

Any word on the mystery lounge slated for concourse A or any other lounge beyond Skyclub?

Speculation on potential LLC carriers?
- Sun Country
- Breeze
- Avelo?

Just as a quick notice, UA is already at 11 mainline flights at least for a snapshot of September. If UA is increasing flights, does this mean new destinations or beefing up its existing KC network?

Is UA the only current airline looking to expand? There's strong speculation DL wants to grow as well given their massive new lounge.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

A new maintenance hanger and Amazon expansion and/or dedicated facilities was briefly discussed at city council during airport business plan update
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

Breeze that’s the one! I would not be surprised about Suncountry either, they use them for charter flights for baseball I believe, although you’ll see their planes at overhaul a lot.

I honestly don’t know anything about the lounges other than Delta is getting one, Delta may be pouring a lot of money into the airport, although everyone I’ve talked to when I worked there and the people I still know that work there it doesn’t sound like Delta or anyone else will take a lounge spot besides delta. If anyone is a hub it’ll be United.

Southwest had already forgotten about Kansas City once that rumor was going around..

Talking with a United manager when I worked there the demand for LAX is there, but he did not know why they’re not running the route although it’s definitely possible in the near future. SFO will be a midday nonstop route flown on an airbus319 or a erj175. I would imagine United flies 737s (mainlines) to all of their hubs.

MCI could EASILY support a daily wide body flight to HNL and FRA, there is no doubt about that, the demand and passenger traffic is there.

There’s no doubt delta will increase their traffic, and having a friend on the inside he told me they’re preparing for international once the new facility is open.

If anyone has ever flown through an airport like SLC you’ll understand how the gate can have dual use domestic / international. Their airport remodel is supposedly similar to how ours will be.

Destination wise with what the airlines will offer in the future I’m unsure of, but I’m certain there will be new destinations provided by someone.

I don’t know how many gates any of the airlines are allocated, although I’m sure southwest will automatically have a bunch, although I do know certain airlines will have space for extra aircraft.

For instance, and aircraft leaves the gate for one destination, and another one is towed into its place to repeat the process. You may notice American already doing this over at C, and delta / southwest using B pad.

I once had a pilot tell me “15 years ago the facilities were so bad at this airport we would pee outside on the ramp.” My last week at the airport I witnessed a spirit pilot walk out the jet bridge door and smoke a cigarette.

I flew out of MCI on 4th of July and Delta gates terminal B had one toilet open in the sterile area in the mens restroom. Like I said our city is letting MCI die until the new one opens, and it’s a shame.

The airport is the first impression for most people who enter your city, and ours is stuck in time. I’m beyond excited for the new facility but I wish all the themes would’ve been left out, majority of people traveling don’t care about shopping local. People want McDonalds and Starbucks in the airport, not a $15 locally crafted meal, say what you want but have you thrown away airport trash?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:30 pm Terminal C is being turned into office space, and a space for charter flights. Amazon is also considering expanding operations.
This has been questioned alot and is always dismissed by other posters on here. They should at least keep that terminal open through the World Cup. Depending on the countries that we get in the draw, you could see a lot of large planes for high celebrities where they land their huge plane with only a few people on it and have 15 black suvs waiting on the tarmac. Think Saudi Arabia royalty or British monarchs or the ultra wealthy. They'll want to be on a secure runway but away from the main terminal populatoin and the DT airport is just not big enough.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Pilots are a bad source of information. Station managers maybe have some insights but pilots know nothing about strategic developments.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

Majority of my info is from the station manager, and people who worked for UA for many years. Yeah I may have only been on the ramp, but that job is like being a fly on the wall. I’ve been on this fourm for years, just never made it around to posting. I seemed to have heated things up hahaha.

Currently MCI uses general aviation over near the FedEx site for charter / private flights. When sleepy Joe flew in they used the overhaul base just south of Runway 27. I would imagine they do something similar if C isn’t being used for that purpose by then.

MCI has a lot more space, and a very grandiose idea of what it wants to become, than some may think, and although many things may be speculative, or not set in stone the ball is rolling and we will see a lot of surprising progression within the next year.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:48 pm Majority of my info is from the station manager, and people who worked for UA for many years. Yeah I may have only been on the ramp, but that job is like being a fly on the wall. I’ve been on this fourm for years, just never made it around to posting. I seemed to have heated things up hahaha.

Currently MCI uses general aviation over near the FedEx site for charter / private flights. When sleepy Joe flew in they used the overhaul base just south of Runway 27. I would imagine they do something similar if C isn’t being used for that purpose by then.

MCI has a lot more space, and a very grandiose idea of what it wants to become, than some may think, and although many things may be speculative, or not set in stone the ball is rolling and we will see a lot of surprising progression within the next year.
Imgur is the easiest to attach pics from, I started a thread for that a while back if you need a walk through