Transportation topics in KC
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:32 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:00 pm IcelandAir adding Detroit
I’m think they bring us back once they get their entire Max fleet up, weren’t nearly all their flights full coming out of here?
Who'd want to go to Reykjavik? Seems like a boring place unless 1: they have a connecting flight the same day to Europe and 2: It's decently affordable.
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:06 pm
Who'd want to go to Reykjavik? Seems like a boring place unless 1: they have a connecting flight the same day to Europe and 2: It's decently affordable.
It will be the 22nd foreign destination and the 14th foreign country for DTW. Yep, connection and/or price. Delta alone has 20 foreign destinations. That's why the Delta terminal has a departure level, an arrivals level and a foreign arrivals level.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

If you haven’t been to Reykjavik or Iceland in general don’t knock it. Went on the Icelandair flight pre-pandemic and it’s one of the most interesting small countries I’ve visited. Would love to return on another nonstop some day. Icelandair has a no-charge stay between policy that allows you to use Iceland for a pre or post continental Europe visit. I’d love to cap off a European visit with a two day soak in Iceland before returning to KC!
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

I’m think they bring us back once they get their entire Max fleet up, weren’t nearly all their flights full coming out of here?
If I remember correctly the loads weren’t that great. 60s and 70s. I hope there is a better option out there though. Not that I don’t want a flight to Iceland but I feel like if it comes back it doesn’t help our chances for something else. It probably needs to come back after we get a better flight first. That all said I would love to go to Iceland for a trip with an easy flight option, just don’t want to be stuck with that as the only Europe nonstop.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dev49 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:47 am
If I remember correctly the loads weren’t that great. 60s and 70s. I hope there is a better option out there though. Not that I don’t want a flight to Iceland but I feel like if it comes back it doesn’t help our chances for something else. It probably needs to come back after we get a better flight first. That all said I would love to go to Iceland for a trip with an easy flight option, just don’t want to be stuck with that as the only Europe nonstop.
IcelandAir announced service to KC well after airlines traditionally do (KC was announced January vs. September-November normally). Not much time was left to sell tickets. Load factors vary between news articles, but a 737 MAX would have been full. In the 2nd year, Icelandair increased the frequency and total weekly seats offered to/from KC, switched service to a 737MAX, and moved the KEF arrival from 4am to 9am (later departure better for business, later arrival better for connections). They ended up switching to a 757 which killed load factors.

October 2018: "The seasonal service, expected to complete its last flights at the end of September, has been about 82 percent full during its first 29 outbound flights."

October 2019: "In 2018, Icelandair’s Kansas City flights averaged a 66% occupancy rate, according to transportation department data provided by the airport. But peak demand reached nearly 82% in May of last year. KCI officials say those rates are similar to other first-year transatlantic flights from other mid-sized markets like Indianapolis."
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I thought the Iceland Air flight was as much about fresh fish cargo as people.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

shinatoo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:21 am I thought the Iceland Air flight was as much about fresh fish cargo as people.
It did smell a bit funny on the return.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

Air Canada will upgrade MCI-YYZ to the CRJ-705 (with PTVs and a business class) next year when the service returns (hopefully year around again) per Justin's Twitter post yesterday.

https://twitter.com/JustinMeyerKC/statu ... 5660174336
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

trexel94 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:01 pm Air Canada will upgrade MCI-YYZ to the CRJ-705 (with PTVs and a business class) next year when the service returns (hopefully year around again) per Justin's Twitter post yesterday.

https://twitter.com/JustinMeyerKC/statu ... 5660174336
CRJ-900 but yes, very nice upgrade. Hopefully the return doesn't get pushed. PTVs in a RJ is not something you usually see.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

Jetblue will be upgrading its routes to the A320 and A321 on select days during the holiday season and first half of January. I know Jetblue is still relatively new to the market but I could see the routes being upgraded permanently after around two years of service.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

trexel94 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:00 pm Jetblue will be upgrading its routes to the A320 and A321 on select days during the holiday season and first half of January. I know Jetblue is still relatively new to the market but I could see the routes being upgraded permanently after around two years of service.
Great to hear! A JetBlue A321 will be cool to see
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

dev49 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:01 pm
trexel94 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:00 pm Jetblue will be upgrading its routes to the A320 and A321 on select days during the holiday season and first half of January. I know Jetblue is still relatively new to the market but I could see the routes being upgraded permanently after around two years of service.
Great to hear! A JetBlue A321 will be cool to see
It's good that the service is doing well. The three times I've flown on them to/from KC, they've had full planes or nearly full planes. I do like the 2-3 configuration on the A220s, so I'll miss that, but progress is progress. I'm hoping JetBlue launches a new route from KC soon, maybe down to Florida or out West.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Portland on Alaska getting upgraded to a 737 for summer.

Also noticed Austin on AA is down to once a day. Didn’t realize that or if I did, I forgot.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Glad to hear Alaska's upgauging Portland. Hopefully they'll also expand the timeframe for direct flights. The last couple of times I've flown to Portland, I had to go through Seattle because direct flights either were not available on days I needed to travel or weren't available at all.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Sani wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:34 pm Glad to hear Alaska's upgauging Portland. Hopefully they'll also expand the timeframe for direct flights. The last couple of times I've flown to Portland, I had to go through Seattle because direct flights either were not available on days I needed to travel or weren't available at all.
Sorry to be that person but a direct flight is different from a nonstop
A direct flight is when you go from
MCI--SEA-PDX all on the same plane and the flight number is all the same, a nonstop is MCI-PDX.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:49 pm
Sani wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:34 pm Glad to hear Alaska's upgauging Portland. Hopefully they'll also expand the timeframe for direct flights. The last couple of times I've flown to Portland, I had to go through Seattle because direct flights either were not available on days I needed to travel or weren't available at all.
Sorry to be that person but a direct flight is different from a nonstop
A direct flight is when you go from
MCI--SEA-PDX all on the same plane and the flight number is all the same, a nonstop is MCI-PDX.
You got me dead to rights there.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

dev49 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:13 am Portland on Alaska getting upgraded to a 737 for summer.

Also noticed Austin on AA is down to once a day. Didn’t realize that or if I did, I forgot.
It was loaded over the weekend. Seems like AA is throwing a lot of routes at AUS to see what sticks. They just loaded SMF-AUS, which is already competing witih WN.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Let’s hope it becomes year-round. I too flew to PDX a lot this year, always connecting through SLC or DEN.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Frontier cutting LAS already in February. Removed it from then through the schedule.

Frontier drives me crazy. Doesn’t give any routes time to see what they can do.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Southwest added Milwaukee back in the schedule extension today. Daily except for Saturday.