KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by beautyfromashes »

Indy isn't getting the World Cup. They get this and it will seal my utter hatred of that city.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

This may be lame, but I sent support via query form to British Airways.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:32 pm Indy isn't getting the World Cup. They get this and it will seal my utter hatred of that city.
WC is a 1 month event that airlines can add event specific flights for.

IND does seem to have a Gov and business community strongly backing their pitch. They may very well be willing to outspend KC.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:57 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:32 pm Indy isn't getting the World Cup. They get this and it will seal my utter hatred of that city.
WC is a 1 month event that airlines can add event specific flights for.
Do we have to let them add those flights or limit the amount we allow in a bid to force their hand to add a nonstop now? I'd love the city to get a little more forceful in pushing disincentives instead of just incentives. Just a bit of fear that they will miss out on a nonstop to a World Cup destination might be all that's needed to force their hand to add Kansas City now instead of waiting and missing an opportunity. We're being too nice about this. Begging isn't working. It's time to use the cards that we have.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I don’t think the airport is allowed to say no. We can charge them more if they are doing charter or just paying per turn at the terminal. The financial risk of a year round flight > benefit of a few one offs for a sports event.

I’m not really sure how much people travel for a WC but you could also see wide bodies swapped in by Delta, American, United for domestic flights. The various Gulf Airlines are offering match shuttle flights into Qatar allowing for guests to stay in UAE, etc.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Sometimes I feel like people don’t know how flights work lol

We’re surrounded by pretty established international hubs.

If you’re traveling from Spain or Italy or Portugal or France and on and on, these airports all have established transatlantic routes. People aren’t going to fly to London to get on ba to fly to kc.

You’ll see these hubs add extra flights to kc and change the metal but like this isn’t going to change their long term decision making process.

If we get a transatlantic flight it because we guaranteed money.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:35 pm Sometimes I feel like people don’t know how flights work lol

If you’re traveling from Spain or Italy or Portugal or France and on and on, these airports all have established transatlantic routes. People aren’t going to fly to London to get on ba to fly to kc.

You’ll see these hubs add extra flights to kc and change the metal but like this isn’t going to change their long term decision making process.

True. It wasn’t a well thought out question, admittedly. I just hate that the only way to get a transatlantic is to pay. We are negotiating from a place of absolute weakness. Literally begging. And that hurts my city pride. Just trying to think of what we can do to force their hand in some way.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:11 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:35 pm Sometimes I feel like people don’t know how flights work lol

True. It wasn’t a well thought out question, admittedly. I just hate that the only way to get a transatlantic is to pay. We are negotiating from a place of absolute weakness. Literally begging. And that hurts my city pride. Just trying to think of what we can do to force their hand in some way.
Corporate travel drives flight traffic. In St. Louis, significant corporate agreement to purchase tickets on Lufthansa to help boost the flight. Lufthansa has been successful in St. Louis, and the expectation is that they will go to 5-7 weekly next summer.

IND, MCI, etc are all around the same level of demand so how else to differentiate than incentives and corporate contracts? KC sells the regional draw hard which is something IND does not have.
This would put the average large widebody cost for a seven-hour flight across the Atlantic at just over $72,000, given 2018 conditions.
So a daily flight is a commitment of over $50 million per year by the airline.
https://simpleflying.com/the-cost-of-flying/

Air France and KLM each have around 15 US routes.
Lufthansa has 29
British Airways: either 23 or 27 (varies on what Google says)
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Additional sources indicating MCI may in fact get this new BA nonstop -- how much $$$ did Missouri promise?

AA will have to finish that club space pronto -- Admirals Clubs at AUS, EWR and DEN are in renovations currently. Guessing the new service would start Summer 2023, perhaps not daily but 3x weekly.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

herrfrank wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:59 pm Additional sources indicating MCI may in fact get this new BA nonstop -- how much $$$ did Missouri promise?

AA will have to finish that club space pronto -- Admirals Clubs at AUS, EWR and DEN are in renovations currently. Guessing the new service would start Summer 2023, perhaps not daily but 3x weekly.
Missouri recently granted $5 million in incentives. I'm not sure what happens to the original $1.2 million package or if its in addition to.

Is AA actually building an Admirals Club? Is that what will become of the mystery lounge space?

Would be a nice upset and Justin does have a history of keeping the cards close to his chest or denying things until the last minute. Back when IND was initially speculated, it was before MO ponied up the $5 million incentives package. MCI would make far more sense than IND. Their only advantage is a slush fund.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

herrfrank wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:59 pm Additional sources indicating MCI may in fact get this new BA nonstop -- how much $$$ did Missouri promise?

What sources? Forum, news article, person told you?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Justin Meyer in London per social media. Flew British Airways

Edit: looks like Dublin may be the second stop
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

The airliners forum has a British Airlines thread. Portland, Nashville, maybe some others are getting moved to bigger airplanes. Hope that frees up a few smaller ones to fly to KC.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

This is correct. For mid-size cities like MCI, unless they have guarantees, it is going to be hard to sustain. Similar size cities have the incentives AND/OR they have enough corporations that have heavy ties overseas that can help sustain the business class/fares (where money is made). I.E. GlaxoSmith Kiline in Raleigh or Nike and Intel in Portland or Bayer/Monsanto in STL.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

BA has made numerous schedule changes this week for the US. Multiple upguages on existing routes, freeing up smaller 787-8s and 9's for new routes.
BA set to launch another US route: BA serves 26 US airports from London. There's much speculation that it will announce another route soon. There's no firm indication where it'll be, and rumors are rife.

The decision will be based on many factors, including the amount of premium demand, London point-to-point demand, how much of the broader Europe demand it can realistically achieve, freight traffic, the city/region's economic performance, the airport/region's financial incentives, and more.

It would be especially exciting if it were a US city without London service; it had previously requested slots for Indianapolis, although slots easily hide another route, and there's speculation that it could be Kansas City, Cincinnati, or St Louis. Each tick multiple boxes.
https://simpleflying.com/british-airway ... mmer-2023/
https://simpleflying.com/british-airway ... ittsburgh/
https://www.post-gazette.com/business/d ... 2211100094

I hope we get at least 5X weekly if we are the selected city
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

In addition to city/region economic performance, incentives, etc., the ability to make a big splash PR-wise should also be a factor in city selection. The new terminal's opening will only continue to generate buzz in the media -- Buzz that none of the other potential cities are getting. When you add the city's first ever nonstop flight to continental Europe on top of it, it means something.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

Sun Country may be announcing KC soon according to this Twitter post. Stay tooned.

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1592296475459211266

https://ishrionaviation.com/news/sun-co ... -expansion
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

trexel94 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:35 pm Sun Country may be announcing KC soon according to this Twitter post. Stay tooned.

Heard twice weekly
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:45 pm
trexel94 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:35 pm Sun Country may be announcing KC soon according to this Twitter post. Stay tooned.

Heard twice weekly
It’s bookable on the website. Starts May 29
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

No aummer 2023 alot request for Dublin or LHR to KC or IND.