Transportation topics in KC
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by dev49 »

normalthings wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:11 pm
dev49 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:40 am
normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:40 am in may, DEN-MCI goes to 5x daily mainline on United
I only see 4x in May unless I am missing something.
Saw this on another forum but I’m not finding it either now
4x mainline is still pretty good for May. I’ll be interested to see June/July schedules once they get finalized.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:46 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:46 pm With the new airport and Canadian Pacific, is there any talk of nonstop flights to Calgary? Could see a nonstop to the Banff/Jasper area being a well traveled tourist route.
Isn't this all fairly predictable based on the number of people traveling the city pair in question?
I’d guess there aren’t enough passengers but like you mention the numbers would be helpful. It’s hard to get international numbers though. They don’t post them publicly usually except for passenger loads on nonstop routes. Once in awhile you will get lucky and a news site posts some
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

So, going forward, what airline not named Southwest will have the biggest presence at KCI? I read of both Delta and United upping their game in KC (at least from the comments on the Rag). Just renewed my United and American credit cards (holdovers from years in Texas) but wondering what would be optimal for KC (other than SWA). Delta?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Highlander wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:44 am So, going forward, what airline not named Southwest will have the biggest presence at KCI? I read of both Delta and United upping their game in KC (at least from the comments on the Rag). Just renewed my United and American credit cards (holdovers from years in Texas) but wondering what would be optimal for KC (other than SWA). Delta?
As the JB/Spirit merger goes further, it could be possible we become a focus city of a central hub for them. They have little connectivity through the center of the US, so there would be hope
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Highlander wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:44 am So, going forward, what airline not named Southwest will have the biggest presence at KCI? I read of both Delta and United upping their game in KC (at least from the comments on the Rag). Just renewed my United and American credit cards (holdovers from years in Texas) but wondering what would be optimal for KC (other than SWA). Delta?
Just going off their number of check in counters in the new headhouse as they were signed today here is their presence. (these numbers may be slightly off going from memory)

1. Southwest (12 or 13)
2. American (11)
3. United (7)
4. Delta (5 or 6?)
5.Spirit (3)
5. Alegient (3)
7. Alaska (2)
7. Frontier (2)
Unmarked (3)
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I always thought Alaska could have used a Midwestern hub to serve those intermountain states. If u flew Alaska from say Boston or NYC and needed to go to Bozeman, Missoula or Spokane u would have to go into Seattle or Portland then back over to Missoula/Spokane/Bozeman. With a Midwest hub u could route all those east coast flights thru KC or St Louis to get to those intermountain areas a lot easier.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

AA is currently the second largest carrier at MCI, with DL a close third. I would continue to monitor these two.

UA may be upping their capacity game but don’t nearly hav the number of N/S flights that the other two do.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

A couple things I found interesting on the international from.

AMS is getting rid of their passenger caps. So that might help it come back into play.

AA is leasing extra LHR slots from Etihad. I’m still not convinced BA comes but it’s too bad they didn’t lease them instead, if they had the option.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

WN just announced new N/S between KC and Long Beach, starting 3/9.

Local demand is there but the new terminal connecting experience had to help tremendously.

https://www.flykci.com/newsroom/news-re ... ong-beach/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Southwest adding LGB from KC in MArch.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

hartliss wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:56 am WN just announced new N/S between KC and Long Beach, starting 3/9.

Local demand is there but the new terminal connecting experience had to help tremendously.

The timing does not make it a very good transfer spot from the West Coast. It lands in MCI at 6pm, I found 2 flights u could book with a transfer in MCI, they were MCO and TPA
From the east it looks MCO, TPA, ATL and BNA have MCI transfers to LGB
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:47 pm The timing does not make it a very good transfer spot from the West Coast. It lands in MCI at 6pm, I found 2 flights u could book with a transfer in MCI, they were MCO and TPA
Can someone explain why this seems to happen so often? Why are so many of our flights to the coasts late afternoon that don't have the possibility for transfer internationally or coming from the coasts late making it impossible to transfer on? Does this have to do with the overhaul base? Planes come here late to drop off passengers then move to maintenance?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:20 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:47 pm The timing does not make it a very good transfer spot from the West Coast. It lands in MCI at 6pm, I found 2 flights u could book with a transfer in MCI, they were MCO and TPA
Can someone explain why this seems to happen so often? Why are so many of our flights to the coasts late afternoon that don't have the possibility for transfer internationally or coming from the coasts late making it impossible to transfer on? Does this have to do with the overhaul base? Planes come here late to drop off passengers then move to maintenance?
Kansas City isn’t a major intentional connecting point. In fact, they intentionally don’t connect us passengers here. Hope this changes with the new terminal.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Guessing there will be a fair amount transferring on the LGB end to/from west coast destinations. Southwest is going to have something like 80% of the traffic there by the time this starts and I would imagine the O&D isn’t huge so many will transfer.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:47 pm
hartliss wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:56 am WN just announced new N/S between KC and Long Beach, starting 3/9.

The timing does not make it a very good transfer spot from the West Coast. It lands in MCI at 6pm, I found 2 flights u could book with a transfer in MCI, they were MCO and TPA
Thanks for digging into this brewcrew, I was just making an assumption. I do know these are slots that were vacated by AA, so WN jumped on them. Pre-pandemic we had N/S to Orange County so perhaps this is an alternate way to serve the southern portion of LA proper. I think the local demand is there, 500+ PPDEW from KC to LA region.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Would prefer a Burbank nonstop. Hate having to get through west side traffic at LAX.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Another one that I would love to see is Palm Springs, that area has really started to gain appeal from a Nationwide standpoint. Visited a few years ago and really enjoyed it. The worst part was the drive back into LAX, didn't realize the traffic would be a nightmare on a Saturday in the middle of afternoon
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:24 pm Another one that I would love to see is Palm Springs, that area has really started to gain appeal from a Nationwide standpoint. Visited a few years ago and really enjoyed it. The worst part was the drive back into LAX, didn't realize the traffic would be a nightmare on a Saturday in the middle of afternoon
This^. First thing I did when I saw non-stop to Long Beach was google how long it took to get to friends place in Indio.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Pro-tip -- use ONT as an alternate for flights to PSP (this really only applies if you are connecting anyhow). Much easier to do the eastern half of the Inland Empire than all the way to the Los Angeles basin.

I would probably choose PHX over LAX if I had to choose a nonstop from KC to the Desert, especially places like Indio or Palm Desert. LAX is really just that bad.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

herrfrank wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:05 pm Pro-tip -- use ONT as an alternate for flights to PSP (this really only applies if you are connecting anyhow). Much easier to do the eastern half of the Inland Empire than all the way to the Los Angeles basin.

I would probably choose PHX over LAX if I had to choose a nonstop from KC to the Desert, especially places like Indio or Palm Desert. LAX is really just that bad.
The drive from PHX to PSP is horrible, tons of semi traffic, it's worse then KC to st Louis