KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:08 pm
langosta wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:19 pm I don't know if you have given a single real answer to why. The only thing that has changed is now we have an acceptable facility.
Acceptable facility is a HUGE one. When discussions of a nonstop to Europe have happened in the past, the immediate response was always, "We have a terrible facility that would have to be replaced first." It was an acceptable response because it was true. When the airport was passed and the same questions came up, the response was, "We need incentive money from the state." Well, we got that. We've shown we can attract world class events. We're growing in population in our area versus the other "comparable" cities that are losing population. So, there comes a time when you have to ask the question if it's not the money or the facilities, maybe it's the people selling them. And that's all I'm doing.
Have you talked to them? The team is fairly accessible if you have that much an issue with the execution
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Only a couple updates in the weekly update this week.

Only notable one is AA cut Austin from mid August to early October
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

dev49 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:37 am Only a couple updates in the weekly update this week.

Not surprised. That route had to be bleeding money. All airlines are betting heavy on AUS but now the market is starting to correct.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Aus is going to take a bit to sort out. It's an odd city.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

hartliss wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:15 pm
dev49 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:37 am Only a couple updates in the weekly update this week.

Not surprised. That route had to be bleeding money. All airlines are betting heavy on AUS but now the market is starting to correct.
I’ll be interested to see how long the AA Austin experiment lasts
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Some minor news. KMBC is reporting more details on the aviation dept. is turning to Kansas to match the $5 mil that Missouri provided, and get the total to $10 mil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EXdveqRBLA
"We don't think that is a tough sell, we've had a great relationship with Gov. Kelly's administration and the state legislature. We think this is the type of regional cooperation that Missourian's & Kansan's want."
-Mayor Q
Lucas then went on to say he's "very optimistic" that a regional match will happen. He argues that the majority of airport users are already from Kansas anyway, and they too need TATL flight. They hope soon to have answer.

I think it's funny BFA and other were literally just suggesting this like two days ago.
Last edited by TheUrbanRoo on Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

A kansas match was in the KCMO 2023 legislative agenda months ago
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

dev49 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:02 pm

I like the Austin nonstop, it served as a connecting point for me when flying to Cancun a few months ago. It makes for a good connecting point for Mexico and Central America but i doubt they will increase operations/frequency of flights there
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:44 pm
dev49 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:02 pm

I like the Austin nonstop, it served as a connecting point for me when flying to Cancun a few months ago. It makes for a good connecting point for Mexico and Central America but i doubt they will increase operations/frequency of flights there
Their airport down there is over capacity by something like 8 million pax annually. They have to add the new concourse before you’ll see more flight traffic
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.fultonsun.com/news/2023/mar ... e-mission/

Mike Parson is traveling to Sweden and Germany. Meeting with executives from Lufthansa while over there
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:00 pm https://www.fultonsun.com/news/2023/mar ... e-mission/

Mike Parson is traveling to Sweden and Germany. Meeting with executives from Lufthansa while over there
cool
Last edited by langosta on Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

langosta wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:10 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:00 pm https://www.fultonsun.com/news/2023/mar ... e-mission/

Justin Meyer tweeted that Lufthansa was talking to KC last week
they have subsidized flights from STL
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

I imagine they are talking to lots of airlines, if not they aren’t doing their job. I’m not going to get my hopes up. The gov makes trips like this every year.

How many times have we seen political leaders or airline people in London over the last decade. Still no flights there. I am not going to read anything into it.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Parsons is probably talking to Lufthansa to get a special nonstop flight for the chiefs game happening in Munich, will have this special flight for like a week
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

dev49 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:43 pm

I imagine they are talking to lots of airlines, if not they aren’t doing their job. I’m not going to get my hopes up. The gov makes trips like this every year.

How many times have we seen political leaders or airline people in London over the last decade. Still no flights there. I am not going to read anything into it.
Yea KCI talks to many airlines but Lufthansa is the only airline the governor has mentioned meeting with overseas. There are obvious reasons to with their serving STL
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Why would you fly all the way to Europe just for a one week flight for a Chiefs game..
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:10 pm Parsons is probably talking to Lufthansa to get a special nonstop flight for the chiefs game happening in Munich, will have this special flight for like a week
I hope something like that is not subsidized. That would be pointless and a waste of money.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I just don't agree with the thought that it has to be a hub or nothing at all, AMS/CDG/LHR or bust. Prove demand with another major city. We pack planes to Rome or Barcelona or Madrid, the hubs will likely notice and respond. We need a proof of concept. I know so many people who would go to any city that's a nonstop. So many people went to Iceland that wouldn't have otherwise due to the nonstop.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

langosta wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:25 pm
dev49 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:43 pm

Yea KCI talks to many airlines but Lufthansa is the only airline the governor has mentioned meeting with overseas. There are obvious reasons to with their serving STL

Just like last year.

Not sure what other airlines he would talk to anyway. No airline in Sweden, his other stop, is coming.

I’m just skeptical anything comes of these trips. They look good but I’m not sure what he really can do airline or otherwise just meeting with companies that already have a presence in the state. Seems like just taking advantage of a free trip to Europe, not that I blame him.

https://www.ozarkradionews.com/local-ne ... etherlands
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:30 pm Why would you fly all the way to Europe just for a one week flight for a Chiefs game..
I wasn't being serious but knowing how politicians work I don't think it's that far fetched.