KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KC will have a transatlantic flight 6 months after new terminal opening or I jump off the Buck o’Neil bridge into the Mo
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:09 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:02 pm STL-Germany announcement tomorrow on a legacy carrier. A Gov. Official tweeted but it was later deleted.
Frankfurt I’m assuming?
Düsseldorf or Cologne would be my guess since those are close to where Bayer is HQed in Leverkusen. Not bad cities considering Germany has that robust intercity high speed rail system
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:51 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:02 pm STL-Germany announcement tomorrow on a legacy carrier. A Gov. Official tweeted but it was later deleted.
Frankfurt I’m assuming?
Düsseldorf or Cologne would be my guess since those are close to where Bayer is HQed in Leverkusen. Not bad cities considering Germany has that robust intercity high speed rail system
Rode their HSR multiple times and I have no complaints! Regardless, flying to congenital Europe is a victory for a mid-sized U.S. city
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:01 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:51 pm

Frankfurt I’m assuming?
Rode their HSR multiple times and I have no complaints! Regardless, flying to congenital Europe is a victory for a mid-sized U.S. city
St. Louis Post Dispatch says the flights will be direct to Frankfurt
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

^ If STL gets a nonstop to Duesseldorf (or the even smaller airport at Koeln/ Bonn) I will be very surprised. It's got to be Frankfurt or Munich.
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

KC will have a transatlantic flight 6 months after new terminal opening or I jump off the Buck o’Neil bridge into the Mo
New airports don't dictate air service/flights. Passenger Loads and Incentives do.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

STLguy1 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:33 pm
New airports don't dictate air service/flights. Passenger Loads and Incentives do.
Old terminal did not have facilities to support a legacy international flight. New terminal will.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The article said they average around 300 a day to Europe from stl which I think is comparable to kci pre-Covid and obviously with our current airport. A quick Google gave numbers from 300 to 800 peak for kci, but I won’t attest to the accuracy.

If kc can put together the incentives, I could see delta taking a chance.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:57 pm The article said they average around 300 a day to Europe from stl which I think is comparable to kci pre-Covid and obviously with our current airport. A quick Google gave numbers from 300 to 800 peak for kci, but I won’t attest to the accuracy.

With their lounge announcement, I see it as all but inevitable
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:04 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:57 pm The article said they average around 300 a day to Europe from stl which I think is comparable to kci pre-Covid and obviously with our current airport. A quick Google gave numbers from 300 to 800 peak for kci, but I won’t attest to the accuracy.

With their lounge announcement, I see it as all but inevitable
It’s weird. Looking through delta’s flights at kci, they’re mostly to their close hubs in Atlanta, Detroit, and Minneapolis, with the typical la and nyc thrown in.

When I think of my lounge usage, it’s normally 1) international flights where the airlines ask you to get there quite early and 2) connections, not short hops to hub airports.

It’s why I expected a property pass type lounge and not legacy.

Looking at their existing lounges is a bit odd too, but they tend to be hubs, tourist destinations, or business areas with a couple exceptions.

Kci isn’t a hub, isn’t a tourist destination, they don’t fly internationally, and we’re not a big connector/business center.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Delta has been fairly aggressive in taking on other airlines, so I assume it’s an effort to chip away at Southwest’s dominance in both the business and leisure travel segments here.

Also, I really don’t expect Delta itself to fly any routes to Europe - my bet would be on Air France/KLM for that.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

swid wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:47 pm Delta has been fairly aggressive in taking on other airlines, so I assume it’s an effort to chip away at Southwest’s dominance in both the business and leisure travel segments here.

Also, I really don’t expect Delta itself to fly any routes to Europe - my bet would be on Air France/KLM for that.
Yeah, I was using delta as a stand in for sky team for simplicity.

Always fun to speculate.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:09 pm Icelandair isn’t going to cut it for me. We had them with an old outdated airport. We need to see some return on an investment for a new airport. The minimum I’d expect is a direct flight to a major European city.
If St. Louis gets an international with no real expenditure vs Kansas City building a whole new airport, then it will be a massive failure for the cities aviation department, airport management and city leaders. A European nonstop has to come with the airport completion.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

I’ve always thought Delta is who KCI should be going after going into the new terminal. Happy it seems like that is happening.

I know a lot of people get excited for BA but AA really hasn’t shown us much love. Didn’t even have NYC flights again until recently. Delta/partners just seems like a better fit. And to be honest I like their product better anyway.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

If LH can do STL, KLM or Air France no longer seems completely out of the picture.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

herrfrank wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:34 pm ^ If STL gets a nonstop to Duesseldorf (or the even smaller airport at Koeln/ Bonn) I will be very surprised. It's got to be Frankfurt or Munich.
I don't think even think there are nonstop flights from Dusseldorf or Cologne to Chicago or NYC.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:39 pm KC will have a transatlantic flight 6 months after new terminal opening or I jump off the Buck o’Neil bridge into the Mo
be sure to get you life jacket now..... :)
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I just hope that when the new airport is finished that the airlines will add more flights in general and bring in some new carriers to the landscape for us. I also hope the new airport can help serve as a way to continue to spur development, especially within the business world to grow our businesses and spur more business travel. I realize the airport can't/won't do it alone. But it is certainly a very big piece to the overall puzzle
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Flights have dropped significantly as pandemic demand dropped so naturally should pick up as O&D demand returns. To what degree is the question. And if airlines find more benefit operating a mini hub out of KCI at the expense of another airport. If airlines won't bite for a notable mini hub, the City ought consider incentives to entice a new local-based startup a la Vanguard. It's probably the best way for KC to control its destiny rather than controlled by the whim of major airlines.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:07 am I just hope that when the new airport is finished that the airlines will add more flights in general and bring in some new carriers to the landscape for us. I also hope the new airport can help serve as a way to continue to spur development, especially within the business world to grow our businesses and spur more business travel. I realize the airport can't/won't do it alone. But it is certainly a very big piece to the overall puzzle
We landed JetBlue in part to the new terminal. Hawaiian is the only domestic carrier worth a salt missing.