KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by ericwyner »

SingleMalt12 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:54 pm
shinatoo wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:04 pm Why doesn't delta have a direct to Chicago? I know it's not a hub but it's one of the few places I have to go that I never go Delta.
United, American & to an extent Southwest all have hubs or something like that. United and American don't go to MSP, DTW, ATL, SLC, etc. for the same reason that Delta doesn't go to their hubs. Why should they?
AA does fly some non hub routes to/from Austin
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

ericwyner wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:38 pm
shinatoo wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:04 pm Why doesn't delta have a direct to Chicago? I know it's not a hub but it's one of the few places I have to go that I never go Delta.
United, American & to an extent Southwest all have hubs or something like that. United and American don't go to MSP, DTW, ATL, SLC, etc. for the same reason that Delta doesn't go to their hubs. Why should they?
Austin is a focus city for AA though. They have a pretty decent sized route map from there now. Although I’m curious how long it lasts.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

With basically no connecting on either side it would be hard for them to fill enough seats to make it worth it.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

As others have mentioned, between WN, AA and UA you have a lot of capacity on the route. DL would solely be relying on O/D traffic as they wouldn’t be connecting anyone in Chicago to other destinations.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

ericwyner wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:45 pm
how many have direct flights to non hubs from KCI? does United have flights from KCI to AA or Delta hubs?
For the most part the large domestic carriers (UA, AA and DL) fly to their hubs or large focus cities where they can connect traffic elsewhere.

United and AA both serve ORD, but both have hub operations there.

WN and DL both serve ATL, but both have hub operations there.

To answer your first question, Southwest is the one large carrier flying to non hubs.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

dev49 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:14 am

Austin is a focus city for AA though. They have a pretty decent sized route map from there now. Although I’m curious how long it lasts.
Me as well. AA is trying to make it work at AUS with significant operations but WN has been the largest player there for a long time (39% share)
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

hartliss wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:54 am

Me as well. AA is trying to make it work at AUS with significant operations but WN has been the largest player there for a long time (39% share)
It’s seems at this point that AUS and it’s facilities are the issue more than airline effort as well. When they’re as over their built capacity as they are, it makes it hard to have functional operations for mid-sized & Small players in the market*

*in respect to their market involvement, not company size*
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:28 am

It’s seems at this point that AUS and it’s facilities are the issue more than airline effort as well. When they’re as over their built capacity as they are, it makes it hard to have functional operations for mid-sized & Small players in the market*

100%. In fact, you could argue that most infrastructure in Austin is woefully under serving the explosive growth.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

hartliss wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:55 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:28 am

100%. In fact, you could argue that most infrastructure in Austin is woefully under serving the explosive growth.
*sad project connect value engineering noises*
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

What are everyone's thoughts on international flights to other regions? We've been so laser focused on Europe but its actually Asia, South America and the Caribbean that are actually the fastest growing regions in terms of traffic to/from KC.

- Volaris has listed KC as a target destination for scheduled flights to places like MEX and GDL which were placed on hold due to security clearance concerns. Volaris also codeshares with Southwest.

- Copa has recently added BWI, AUS and ATL and is considered a connector to Central and South America through their Panama City hub.

- Now that Canadian Pacific will merge with KC Southern along with moving their American HQ here, what are the prospects of Air Canada boosting flights or perhaps even Westjet coming? CP is based in Calgary (as is Westjet) and western Canada has seen the most growth in KC-Canadian traffic.

It honestly would greatly annoy me if we blow the entire 5-10 million incentives budget on the likes of BA or Delta.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

trexel94 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:22 pm What are everyone's thoughts on international flights to other regions? We've been so laser focused on Europe but its actually Asia, South America and the Caribbean that are actually the fastest growing regions in terms of traffic to/from KC.

- Volaris has listed KC as a target destination for scheduled flights to places like MEX and GDL which were placed on hold due to security clearance concerns. Volaris also codeshares with Southwest.

- Copa has recently added BWI, AUS and ATL and is considered a connector to Central and South America through their Panama City hub.

- Now that Canadian Pacific will merge with KC Southern along with moving their American HQ here, what are the prospects of Air Canada boosting flights or perhaps even Westjet coming? CP is based in Calgary (as is Westjet) and western Canada has seen the most growth in KC-Canadian traffic.

It honestly would greatly annoy me if we blow the entire 5-10 million incentives budget on the likes of BA or Delta.
Southwest does not codeshare with anyone. Volaris shares with frontier.

I do think more beach destinations could be in play in Mexico and Caribbean but I don’t see much else.

Canada I don’t see us having enough traffic for Calgary. We don’t even have a flight to Toronto at the moment. We need to focus on making that route stick first before we put more to Canada. I’d hate to see someone start another route and then Air Canada pull out again because now they don’t have enough traffic.

I think it’s going to be at least 10 mil for a flight to Europe now and I’m not even sure that’s enough anymore based on what Cleveland is dishing out for Aer Lingus.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

dev49 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:51 pm
trexel94 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:22 pm What are everyone's thoughts on international flights to other regions? We've been so laser focused on Europe but its actually Asia, South America and the Caribbean that are actually the fastest growing regions in terms of traffic to/from KC.

I do think more beach destinations could be in play in Mexico and Caribbean but I don’t see much else.

Canada I don’t see us having enough traffic for Calgary. We don’t even have a flight to Toronto at the moment. We need to focus on making that route stick first before we put more to Canada. I’d hate to see someone start another route and then Air Canada pull out again because now they don’t have enough traffic.

I think it’s going to be at least 10 mil for a flight to Europe now and I’m not even sure that’s enough anymore based on what Cleveland is dishing out for Aer Lingus.
My mistake for Volaris' codeshare but they've still short listed KC for additional Mexico service when they have the ability to do so.

Canada is interesting. AC has been flying to KC since the late 90s and is hedging recovering business traffic and staff/aircraft shortages. They'll restore regular service eventually.
What makes you think travelers are flying AC to Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver? Connecting through Toronto and backtracking cross country is an extremely inconvenient itinerary and AC doesn't fly many US/Western Canada routes. That's Westjet's territory. Westjet is also SkyTeam aligned so passengers are likely flying Delta through Salt Lake City or Minneapolis. There very well could be space for Westjet without impacting AC because passengers likely aren't even flying AC out west to begin with. The merger with CP will only add to the business case.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

One route I could see happen is to San Juan, frontier, JetBlue, Spirit and Southwest have all been expanding over the last few years to San Juan
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

trexel94 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:31 pm

My mistake for Volaris' codeshare but they've still short listed KC for additional Mexico service when they have the ability to do so.

Canada is interesting. AC has been flying to KC since the late 90s and is hedging recovering business traffic and staff/aircraft shortages. They'll restore regular service eventually.
What makes you think travelers are flying AC to Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver? Connecting through Toronto and backtracking cross country is an extremely inconvenient itinerary and AC doesn't fly many US/Western Canada routes. That's Westjet's territory. Westjet is also SkyTeam aligned so passengers are likely flying Delta through Salt Lake City or Minneapolis. There very well could be space for Westjet without impacting AC because passengers likely aren't even flying AC out west to begin with. The merger with CP will only add to the business case.
I’m sure not everyone is going thru Toronto but you would think the Canada side is leans to AC users. But I can’t imagine the O&D to any of those cities is much over 30 a day. I’d be a little surprised if Calgary/Edmonton is above 20. Not sure how enticing that is to westjet to start a route with numbers that low. Even if they double with a nonstop it doesn’t even fill 1/3 of the plane and that’s if everyone would fly them. Maybe they can make up the rest with connectors, I’m just not that optimistic about it. It seems like there would be routes to other cities that do better to Canada than us that would come first.

How many people do you think CP is flying on average between KC and Calgary a day? Maybe 2? I can’t see them just having some daily travel number that is big enough to move the needle.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Just received word from a reliable connection of mine involved with the Chamber of Commerce and city hall that the $5 million incentives boost from the state of Kansas was approved and that BA is finalizing negotiations to launch MCI next spring. Announcement to be made this October and will likely be 4x weekly on the 788. Garmin also played a role seeing that their European branch is in the UK.

Also heard that Westjet is looking into launching MCI sometime later next year to YYC as well largely in part to the upcoming merger between Canadian Pacific and KC Southern as they move their North American HQ to KC from Minneapolis, the fact that CP's HQ is in Calgary and that western Canada is a fast growing region of traffic to/from KC.
Posted by trexel94

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtop ... #p23741565
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:06 pm One route I could see happen is to San Juan, frontier, JetBlue, Spirit and Southwest have all been expanding over the last few years to San Juan
This one I could see for Southwest. Would love to see Nassau also.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

langosta wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:19 pm
Just received word from a reliable connection of mine involved with the Chamber of Commerce and city hall that the $5 million incentives boost from the state of Kansas was approved and that BA is finalizing negotiations to launch MCI next spring. Announcement to be made this October and will likely be 4x weekly on the 788. Garmin also played a role seeing that their European branch is in the UK.

Also heard that Westjet is looking into launching MCI sometime later next year to YYC as well largely in part to the upcoming merger between Canadian Pacific and KC Southern as they move their North American HQ to KC from Minneapolis, the fact that CP's HQ is in Calgary and that western Canada is a fast growing region of traffic to/from KC.
Posted by trexel94

I’m sure they trusts their sources but I’ll believe it when I see it. I’ve been burned too many times before by people saying things are happening via sources.

BUT I’m happy to see Garmin involved if it does happen.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

dev49 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:19 pm
trexel94 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:31 pm

I’m sure not everyone is going thru Toronto but you would think the Canada side is leans to AC users. But I can’t imagine the O&D to any of those cities is much over 30 a day. I’d be a little surprised if Calgary/Edmonton is above 20. Not sure how enticing that is to westjet to start a route with numbers that low. Even if they double with a nonstop it doesn’t even fill 1/3 of the plane and that’s if everyone would fly them. Maybe they can make up the rest with connectors, I’m just not that optimistic about it. It seems like there would be routes to other cities that do better to Canada than us that would come first.

How many people do you think CP is flying on average between KC and Calgary a day? Maybe 2? I can’t see them just having some daily travel number that is big enough to move the needle.
WestJet to Calgary would open up serve stops to: Vancouver, Edmonton, Seoul, Tokyo, small town rural western Canada.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

dev49 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:22 pm
langosta wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:19 pm

Posted by trexel94

I’m sure they trusts their sources but I’ll believe it when I see it. I’ve been burned too many times before by people saying things are happening via sources.

April fools everyone! The post was a hoax! Frankly I have no idea whats going on behind the scenes but it could be plausible.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

trexel94 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:35 pm
dev49 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:22 pm
langosta wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:19 pm Posted by trexel94

April fools everyone! The post was a hoax! Frankly I have no idea whats going on behind the scenes but it could be plausible.
Son of a! I hate this day so much and am usually super guarded about getting duped.

Good job. 👏