Transportation topics in KC
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by dev49 »

trexel94 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:28 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:58 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:11 pm I got back at MCI late last night, and I heard from somewhere that Delta Is gonna try to make the new KCI some sort of a hub
I could see a focus city to places like MSY, MKE, SAT, IAH, IND, ORD, PHX but a hub makes no sense with MSP and DTW being being so close
I was thinking something along the lines of what RDU has; a few more p2p key domestic stations, a long haul to either AMS/CDG and throw in a leisure route or two. Should be enough O/D and catchment traffic to support it without impacting nearby hubs.
I could see what you are saying happen

AMS or CDG
Florida
Cancun
Not convinced Cincy comes back but maybe
RDU
Maybe swing a DCA slot or two
More frequency on LAX/JFK
Austin? Probably would have to push AA off it though, which would probably be better anyway.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’m really interested in the discussion about the money going to attract a South American nonstop. Would that be Rio or Buenas Aires?
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

Neither of those cities is situated well geographically for making connections. Bogota or Lima would be much better.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:04 pm I’m really interested in the discussion about the money going to attract a South American nonstop. Would that be Rio or Buenas Aires?
Most likely a connecting airline like COPA or Aeromexico but those shouldn't cost much to bring in.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

trexel94 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:45 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:04 pm I’m really interested in the discussion about the money going to attract a South American nonstop. Would that be Rio or Buenas Aires?
Most likely a connecting airline like COPA or Aeromexico but those shouldn't cost much to bring in.
No room at MEX. COPA more likely
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

normalthings wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:01 am
trexel94 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:45 am
No room at MEX. COPA more likely
I don’t see a South America nonstop coming. Hard for me to see demand to a station that makes sense.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

kas1 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:01 am Neither of those cities is situated well geographically for making connections. Bogota or Lima would be much better.
I know LATAM has a Buenos Aires to South Africa flight that a friends taken before. I assume it would probably still be faster to connect through Europe if we got a nonstop there as well.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:11 pm I got back at MCI late last night, and I heard from somewhere that Delta Is gonna try to make the new KCI some sort of a hub
Very unlikely. JetBlue and Alaska are the only airlines that really could put a hub in KC. Maybe a Delta or Southwest focus city with some connections.

Cabin crew and airport staff known just barely more than the average citizen.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:12 pm
Very unlikely. JetBlue and Alaska are the only airlines that really could put a hub in KC. Maybe a Delta or Southwest focus city with some connections.

Cabin crew and airport staff known just barely more than the average citizen.
Hot take: we should pursue an airline startup to come here
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

With the amount of money that Delta is putting into their lounge, about the only thing that can be reasonably surmised is that they have...something...in mind for a business strategy with the new terminal. That strategy could be anything from "gunning for Southwest's business travelers" to "attempting to sell enough co-branded credit cards locally to offset the lounge outlay" to "being a focus city domestically *and* having flights to other continents".

At least we're not that far away from learning more about whatever those plans out to be.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

swid wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:44 pm With the amount of money that Delta is putting into their lounge, about the only thing that can be reasonably surmised is that they have...something...in mind for a business strategy with the new terminal. That strategy could be anything from "gunning for Southwest's business travelers" to "attempting to sell enough co-branded credit cards locally to offset the lounge outlay" to "being a focus city domestically *and* having flights to other continents".

At least we're not that far away from learning more about whatever those plans out to be.

2020 Nashville Delta Skyclub announced: 14,000 SQFT and $18 million but that may include the cost of building the structure. KC's $10 million is solely for tenant finish. Nashville was a focus city when the project was announced. Only 3 non-hub routes were offered from BNA at the time. Cancun, Orlando, and Raleigh/Durham
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:38 am
kas1 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:01 am Neither of those cities is situated well geographically for making connections. Bogota or Lima would be much better.
I know LATAM has a Buenos Aires to South Africa flight that a friends taken before. I assume it would probably still be faster to connect through Europe if we got a nonstop there as well.
LATAM barely operates any flights out of Buenos Aires. They've got hubs in Santiago and Sao Paulo. But if you're only going to have service to a single city in South America then you wouldn't want it to be that far south. You'd lose so much time backtracking to a lot of destinations that it just wouldn't be worth it.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

As someone that flys to South America on a regular basis, I don’t see this happening. Those flights and connections are pretty engrained for cultural and business reasons that don’t apply as strongly with Europe.

Anyone that’s ever enjoyed the chaos of being in the Miami international terminal or had the pleasure of retrieving your luggage with a flight full of Brazilians or Porteños will know what I mean.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Miami already serves as the "hub" for Latin America. AA has that business locked down well. They have a mature and loyal base of travelers, probably the one decent and profitable core customer base that AA has been able to hang onto during its travails. MCI has two nonstops to MIA on AA, and they are generally full of connecting pax.

MCI needs a nonstop to Europe. It's what needs to happen to grow the airport. Not EZE or GRU or even Lima -- MCI needs one of the Eurohubs for the big three alliances -- LHR for AA/ BA; AMS or CDG for DL; FRA for UA. Anything else is a waste of time and effort.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

herrfrank wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:20 pm Miami already serves as the "hub" for Latin America. AA has that business locked down well. They have a mature and loyal base of travelers, probably the one decent and profitable core customer base that AA has been able to hang onto during its travails. MCI has two nonstops to MIA on AA, and they are generally full of connecting pax.

MCI needs a nonstop to Europe. It's what needs to happen to grow the airport. Not EZE or GRU or even Lima -- MCI needs one of the Eurohubs for the big three alliances -- LHR for AA/ BA; AMS or CDG for DL; FRA for UA. Anything else is a waste of time and effort.

IcelandAir launched BWI and RDU this week. A low or no incentive deal with FI would not be the end of the world. Neither would be Aer Lingus.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Looks like JetBlue is cutting 20 flights this summer to improve their reliability. KC to Boston not on the list.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue- ... oute-cuts/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

freedog wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:58 am Looks like JetBlue is cutting 20 flights this summer to improve their reliability. KC to Boston not on the list.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue- ... oute-cuts/
MKE (launched alongside MCI) also safe.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Fly Delta to DTW or Boston and you will quickly realize KC can support a direct to Europe.

Saw 20-30 from my single flight also walk to the international terminal.

Wouldn’t be surprised if JFK flight is the same.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

normalthings wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:40 pm Fly Delta to DTW or Boston and you will quickly realize KC can support a direct to Europe.

I agree and would say this is a matter of when, not if. I could easily see a seasonal nonstop Delta flight to Paris at a minimum once the new terminal opens.

In recent pre-pandemic years, KC had the passengers to support a nonstop seasonal flight to Europe, but not the incentives or facilities. We'll soon have both and an airline like Delta might want to capitalize on the strong PR coming with the new terminal's grand opening.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

normalthings wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:40 pm Fly Delta to DTW or Boston and you will quickly realize KC can support a direct to Europe.

That's interesting. Helps that DL is adding quite a few int'l destinations from BOS too. Shorter fly time from ATL/DTW/MSP to Europe and Middle East