Bond Bridge (formerly Paseo)

Transportation topics in KC
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Bond Bridge (formerly Paseo)

Post by moderne »

LED lighting to debut sometime in the summer.  Old bridge scheduled to be gone by end of June.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

LEDs on the Bond Bridge should be awesome, but am I the only person in KC that finds the overall structure to be pretty underwhelming? 

I drive across the HOA bridge everyday and therefore maybe the "shock value" of the new bridge is dulled a bit, but it's not particularly tall, with a generic design that is repeated in bridges all across the country, and it's too far east to really feel like an urban gateway.  How about a big Deco sky-pylon on top or something?
are we spinning free?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Here is what the lights look like--they were testing them out last week and my neighbor shot this video.

http://youtu.be/vQOjqezWyqE

Again, I have no idea how to embed video so I have simply linked to it. Enjoy!

Also--this explains why they have not been on since that night!!
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Wow those are pretty sweet.  I assume they do colors too....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

it deserves attention here that, with little or no fanfare, the paseo bridge is in the process of being dismantled. 
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

enough wrote: it deserves attention here that, with little or no fanfare, the paseo bridge is in the process of being dismantled. 
Just wondering why I don't see any outcry and nostalgia for the old Paseo Bridge.  Anytime someone posts that some old building in midtown, DT, etc. is going to be demolished and a new building taking it place, you get a bunch of crying and outrage that they are tearing down a "piece of history" or they should renovate and place it on some historic registry.

One mention of the Gomers on Main, which is a textbook POS building, being demolished and replaced, everyone cries and bitches. Not much crying and bitching about the Paseo Bridge.
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The cables are down and the towers have been dismantled.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

supastudio wrote: Just wondering why I don't see any outcry and nostalgia for the old Paseo Bridge.  Anytime someone posts that some old building in midtown, DT, etc. is going to be demolished and a new building taking it place, you get a bunch of crying and outrage that they are tearing down a "piece of history" or they should renovate and place it on some historic registry.

One mention of the Gomers on Main, which is a textbook POS building, being demolished and replaced, everyone cries and bitches. Not much crying and bitching about the Paseo Bridge.
Maybe that is because an old building is easier to adapt to new uses...while a bridge is kind of stuck as a bridge. Also buildings are usually more integrated into the daily fabric of the city and part of our daily lives. I wish they were keeping the old Paseo Bridge and still using it for some of the traffic, or as a ped/biking bridge.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

It would have made a great park/bikeway
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Mostly because it would be a financial vampire.  A historic building can at least be restored and rented out for income.

Even if the bridge were a park or bicycle crossing, it would never produce any income and would be prohibitively expensive to maintain.  Who would want to take on that burden?

The only reason the ASB bridge still exists is because the railroad still uses it.
There is no fifth destination.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

the old paseo bridge is gradually disappearing, day by day.  take a look before it's all gone.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Any word on where it's going or are they going to scrap it?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

shinatoo wrote: Any word on where it's going or are they going to scrap it?
sold as scrap.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

LED lighting to debut with red white and blue light show on July 3 to accent river festival fireworks.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderne wrote: LED lighting to debut with red white and blue light show on July 3 to accent river festival fireworks.
the star's brad cooper reports on twitter that there are 53 lights on both sides and that there are several lighting schemes to choose from, including red and gold for the chiefs.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Here's a few I took last week.

The lights are rectangular LED blocks that have the primary colors stacked on top each other through opaque lenses and from what I can tell, can only be seen from below the auto deck. 
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

nice!
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Very!
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

St. Louis is building a new bridge over the Mississippi River...

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Wait a tic.... :-k