Missouri Amtrak Service

Transportation topics in KC
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Missouri Amtrak Service

Post by shinatoo »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:14 pm Seems that these previously cancelled routes may be studied as a requirement of the infra stimulus.

Chi-KC-Dallas-Houston
KC-STL-NOLA
KC-STL-IND-Pitt-Philly-NYC

https://twitter.com/quincylvania/status ... F7OY0m4Ow
Would love to see a long haul KC-STL-IND-Pitt-Philly-NYC that continued on to Denver. I assume it would pick up a major Ohio city too.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I'd love to see and Express KC-STL route that allows for reasonable and efficient travel time between the 2 largest Metros in the state. Some type of highspeed train would be great. I know the US doesn't do bullet trains per say but something that could go about 85-100 mph steady would help.

Anything that would make the trip about about 1.5 hours-2hours by train would be great. Basically half the time you can travel their by car. Domestic jet is about 45mins to an hour, private jet about 30-40 mins.

Current train to STL from KC is like 6 hours after all the dang stops. I'm fine with keeping that to service the small towns along the way but a dedicated non- stop between KC & STL would be great and I think would have good ridership.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:05 am I'd love to see and Express KC-STL route that allows for reasonable and efficient travel time between the 2 largest Metros in the state. Some type of highspeed train would be great. I know the US doesn't do bullet trains per say but something that could go about 85-100 mph steady would help.

Anything that would make the trip about about 1.5 hours-2hours by train would be great. Basically half the time you can travel their by car. Domestic jet is about 45mins to an hour, private jet about 30-40 mins.

Current train to STL from KC is like 6 hours after all the dang stops. I'm fine with keeping that to service the small towns along the way but a dedicated non- stop between KC & STL would be great and I think would have good ridership.
The best an express can probably do is 4 hours with no stops, major upgrades, and no traffic.

283 miles. A 4-hour trip is about 70mph on average. Brightline-style 125mph trains and tracks would do it with no stops/traffic.

2 Hours is 141.5 MPH average speed. So you'd need track and trains that can do 180-220mph. A completely new line would need to be constructed.

Eurostar is around 220 miles, 100mph average speed, 2h20min trip (no stops), 186mph on much of the route.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

So they're planning service to Dallas from KC?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:05 pm So they're planning service to Dallas from KC?
No. DOT will study it and the steps needed . Early stages
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:15 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:05 pm So they're planning service to Dallas from KC?
No. DOT will study it and the steps needed . Early stages
Gotcha. If they did it, approx how long would that train ride be?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The study was already completed years ago: https://www.ksdot.org/PDF_Files/Amtrak-Final.pdf

Full study document: https://cdm16884.contentdm.oclc.org/dig ... l10/id/531

There's actually a separate thread on that proposal: viewtopic.php?t=11331
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:51 am
dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:05 am I'd love to see and Express KC-STL route that allows for reasonable and efficient travel time between the 2 largest Metros in the state. Some type of highspeed train would be great. I know the US doesn't do bullet trains per say but something that could go about 85-100 mph steady would help.

The best an express can probably do is 4 hours with no stops, major upgrades, and no traffic.

283 miles. A 4-hour trip is about 70mph on average. Brightline-style 125mph trains and tracks would do it with no stops/traffic.

2 Hours is 141.5 MPH average speed. So you'd need track and trains that can do 180-220mph. A completely new line would need to be constructed.

Eurostar is around 220 miles, 100mph average speed, 2h20min trip (no stops), 186mph on much of the route.
thanks for the info and if the non-stop rail is the same as a car there is not much from a convenience factor, other than you are not the one driving. The time is basically the same via a car. Which is a shame.

It's a shame the US lacks high speed rail, if nothing else to provide legitimate alternative to planes. Yes planes will always be faster but highspeed trains could offer alternatives to a car especially. Even a more leisurely comfort style of travel. Planes are basically flying buses in the US anymore. A train where you could have access to maybe a cabin or even larger Seats with tables to do work, and places to go and stretch your legs during travel is nice. Trains have this now but in the US we lack that highspeed option.

But I do not think that US rail will ever be highspeed so might as well look to things like Hyperloop where the cost to build the infrastructure, "engines", terminals, etc. basically everything from the ground up is similar in cost to upgrading to highspeed rail, plus new ideas don't have to wade through 200 years of bureaucracy, legal agreements, etc. Obviously there are challenges to the new ideas as well & politics plays into to both ideas. Hopefully things can change over time but I doubt it.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Another issue is that once you get to KC or STL via train, it is hard to get around without a car if you have certain places/schedules to meet. You have to invest in transit locally to help feed regional transit, and vice versa.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:45 am Another issue is that once you get to KC or STL via train, it is hard to get around without a car if you have certain places/schedules to meet. You have to invest in transit locally to help feed regional transit, and vice versa.
True, once you get to either city, via plane or train, you'll need ground transportation and that is a car.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:45 am Another issue is that once you get to KC or STL via train, it is hard to get around without a car if you have certain places/schedules to meet. You have to invest in transit locally to help feed regional transit, and vice versa.
Unless you’re just staying in KC proper which should be navigable with a streetcar by 2025.

I assume any tourist doing a weekend in KC wouldn’t be going anywhere outside that streetcar track, unless it’s a sports game. Which would just need one Uber.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

St. Louis also has its MetroLink (rail), which stops at its train station and serves downtown and its shopping area near Clayton/ West End. Both cities are currently navigable without a rental car, as long as the tourist arrives via Amtrak.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

SW Chief derailed today. Looks like there are fatalities. Fucking dump truck, wonder if truck stalled out or tried beating the train
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

How the fuck does that happen? I know the ntsb will figure it out, but I'll bet my bank account it was at an uncontrolled crossing where some fucker left a truck
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:48 pm How the fuck does that happen? I know the ntsb will figure it out, but I'll bet my bank account it was at an uncontrolled crossing where some fucker left a truck
The crossing was recently flagged for safety improvements. You are almost correct. The driver was still in the truck and was killed in the impact.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Southwest Chief originating from KC temporarily
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:45 am
WoodDraw wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:48 pm How the fuck does that happen? I know the ntsb will figure it out, but I'll bet my bank account it was at an uncontrolled crossing where some fucker left a truck
The crossing was recently flagged for safety improvements. You are almost correct. The driver was still in the truck and was killed in the impact.
Ugh, terrible and so sad. Hope this causes some change but I'm not hopeful. I don't expect the ntsb to be very kind in their report.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Second round-trip returns Monday (but will be using the old Horizon cars): https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/gov ... user-share
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:06 am Second round-trip returns Monday (but will be using the old Horizon cars): https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/gov ... user-share
Daily at that. I remember weekend service was non existent for a while there.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »