Missouri Amtrak Service

Transportation topics in KC
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Missouri Amtrak Service

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:30 pm Interior pics of the new cars:

The rail cars are now in service. Several images available at the tweet links below (High Speed Rail Alliance). They look nice.
https://twitter.com/HSRail/status/1488537960697970688
https://twitter.com/HSRail/status/1488543722212048896
https://twitter.com/HSRail/status/1488538366501138439
https://twitter.com/HSRail/status/1488644845593935874
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Taking the River Runner just got a whole lot more exciting
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:24 pm Taking the River Runner just got a whole lot more exciting
According to a Trains.com post, the new train cars will be in service on the Illinois Lincoln Service first and then will come to other routes at a rate of 8 per month depending on if Siemens can get the retrofit right. The first combination cafe-business car will also soon arrive, but the way I read it is that those won't be put into service until all of them arrive.
https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... or-amtrak/

Generally, though, it seems the seating experience is similar to Brightline but there are a few differences. Like the tray table is a bit larger and sturdier, and the emergency exit windows are a bit different due to the configuration. Of course, you won't be boarding these at door level at most, if not all, stations. So, there are stairs that can come down.

Overall, these look good and I look forward to seeing how they are soon (might just take a weekend trip of to Chicago).
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

New SW Chief stop just outside the KC region looks like it will happen.
JEFFERSON CITY – An Amtrak stop in Carrollton may be closer to becoming a reality.

State legislators Rep. Peggy McGaugh, R-Carrollton, and Sen. Denny Hoskins, R-Warrensburg, announced today in a news release the state operating budget approved by the General Assembly includes $1 million in funding the proposed stop in Carrollton. The money allocated in HB 3020, which makes up part of the budget, will go toward planning, design, maintenance, or construction of a station.

“For years Amtrak has passed through Carrollton without stopping,’ Hoskins said, according to the release. “When the Carrollton community came to Rep. McGaugh and I, we worked hard to secure funding for an Amtrak stop in Carrollton. We are excited to help promote tourism and travel to the community by securing funds for a new train stop in Carrollton.”

The funding requires a local match. HB 3020 now needs only the governor’s signature to go into effect.

“I want to thank Senator Hoskins and all the members of the General Assembly for supporting this important project that means so much to our area,” said McGaugh, according to the release. “I think it’s important that we re-establish rural stops for our railways so visitors can enjoy our beautiful part of the state and our residents can take advantage of this wonderful form of transportation.”
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Other than the Carrollton stop, any word on what's in the new budget for Amtrak?

Kansas connection to Texas? Track upgrades for SW Chief in Kansas/New Mexico? River Runner upgrades for improved speeds?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:30 pm Other than the Carrollton stop, any word on what's in the new budget for Amtrak?

Kansas connection to Texas? Track upgrades for SW Chief in Kansas/New Mexico? River Runner upgrades for improved speeds?
Missouri's budget keeps RR funding at previous level it looks like, Wouldn't have funds for projects in other states...
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

normalthings wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:01 pm
shinatoo wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:30 pm Other than the Carrollton stop, any word on what's in the new budget for Amtrak?

Missouri's budget keeps RR funding at previous level it looks like, Wouldn't have funds for projects in other states...
Yeah, thanks for letting me know Missouri doesn't allocate funds for Kansas. Always appreciate the civics education I get on this site...

I'm talking about the 66 billion in the latest Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act.

Would you like me to start a new thread that doesn't have the word "Missouri" in it? It's so rare that anyone posts even slightly off-topic in this forum.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

shinatoo wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:26 pm Would you like me to start a new thread that doesn't have the word "Missouri" in it? It's so rare that anyone posts even slightly off-topic in this forum.
No need: viewtopic.php?t=8618
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Damnit!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

New 318/319 Amtrak schedule combines River Runner and Illinois Service for one "direct" trip to Chicago and all points in between using the new Siemens 'Venture' cars. Keep an eye out for this fancy new train at Union Station! Presumably you have some sort of wait in STL but don't have to change trains.

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/ne ... uis.82161/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Massive improvement in the quality of ride (bright, clean, modern, etc). My only complaint is no recline.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:47 pm Massive improvement in the quality of ride (bright, clean, modern, etc). My only complaint is no recline.
You’ve already ridden? Pics?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:55 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:47 pm Massive improvement in the quality of ride (bright, clean, modern, etc). My only complaint is no recline.
You’ve already ridden? Pics?
Didn't take any photos : (

The 4 seats - table located in the middle of the cars is great if you have a group/family. However, the pull-out extensions are not operable yet.

Electronic doors struggled a bit on my most recent trip. The corridor door would refuse to open. The bathroom door would refuse to close. I'm a bit worried these will break and never get fixed knowing Amtrak.

Advice: Business class is in the OG cafe car. Book economy to experience the Venture Cars.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

^Electronic doors. LOL -- Germany put those in the 1970s.

Any other Raggers remember the old Deutsche Bahn automated recording "Bitte, bleiben Sie ruhig. Tueren schliessen selbstaetig"? Please, remain calm. Doors close automatically.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

herrfrank wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:30 am ^Electronic doors. LOL -- Germany put those in the 1970s.

Any other Raggers remember the old Deutsche Bahn automated recording "Bitte, bleiben Sie ruhig. Tueren schliessen selbstaetig"? Please, remain calm. Doors close automatically.
I mean amtrak has always (in my life) had electric doors. I meant auto opening ones
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Seems that these previously cancelled routes may be studied as a requirement of the infra stimulus.

Chi-KC-Dallas-Houston
KC-STL-NOLA
KC-STL-IND-Pitt-Philly-NYC

https://twitter.com/quincylvania/status ... F7OY0m4Ow
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:14 pm Seems that these previously cancelled routes may be studied as a requirement of the infra stimulus.

Chi-KC-Dallas-Houston
KC-STL-NOLA

KC Looking to become a rail hub again?!?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:16 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:14 pm Seems that these previously cancelled routes may be studied as a requirement of the infra stimulus.

Chi-KC-Dallas-Houston
KC-STL-NOLA

KC Looking to become a rail hub again?!?
I wish someday they'd build aa route from KC to Denver. It would get used so much.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCY has the basics for limited Amtrak service expansion -- fueling, layover, staffed station with more than one boarding location.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:21 am KCY has the basics for limited Amtrak service expansion -- fueling, layover, staffed station with more than one boarding location.
Wish fueling could be integrated with the SW Chief extended stop at Union Station instead of an additional stop in KCK.