P&L Residential Schedule to be accelerated

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
winzey
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by winzey »

'Live' district housing to be built sooner

By KEVIN COLLISON

The Kansas City Star

Responding to strong demand for downtown housing, the developer of the Kansas City Live entertainment district plans to build a 200-unit residential tower in the project's first phase.

The housing tower, which would be built much sooner than previously anticipated, would mark the first major newly constructed housing within the downtown loop since Quality Hill.

Developer Blake Cordish said his Baltimore-based company was accelerating its timetable for building residences in the entertainment district, to be built west of the planned arena at 14th Street and Grand Boulevard. When the Cordish Co. first announced plans for Kansas City Live last winter, the residential component was not expected to be built for several years.

“We are proposing to develop the first residential tower immediately with the entertainment rather than phase it in at a later date as originally planned,â€
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

wow. does the future of downtown not keep getting brighter and brighter? I'm really starting to believe KC can knock this project out of the park, but i'd better not speak too fast.

on a side note, i've been amazed with how quickly the Gillham Row development has gone up....it seems to progress further every time I bike on past it 8)
are we spinning free?
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

So how many cranes should be on the skyline a year from now?

I remember seeing a picture of downtown Denver in the '80s where there had to be 20 - 30 cranes up at once during a massive build-up.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Dan...Grid and I were talking about that this morning.....# of cranes.

I could easily see 15 in the skyline.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

2 in the IRS, 2-3 in the Federal Reserve, 6 in P&L District, 1-2 for the Ballroom, 1 for the parking garage near the Ballroom, 1-2 for the Bartle Hall Expansion, 1-2 for the Arena, 1-2 for the PAC...

I remember when I first joined, Grid had a dream where he was at Liberty Memorial and there were tons and tons of cranes downtown... This was 2 years before the arena and P&L District... And before the IRS and before the Federal Reserve...
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCDevin wrote: I remember when I first joined, Grid had a dream where he was at Liberty Memorial and there were tons and tons of cranes downtown... This was 2 years before the arena and P&L District... And before the IRS and before the Federal Reserve...
LOL...it is LITERALLY coming true. :cheers:
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I never thought I'd say this, but, "Go Cordish!"
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

mean wrote:I never thought I'd say this, but, "Go Cordish!"
Why did you think you'd never say that? Are you not in favor of the entertainment district?

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: P&L Residential Schedule to be accelerated

Post by Maitre D »

winzey wrote:In a related matter, city officials say a forum held Wednesday at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown to educate minority-owned and women-owned business owners about opportunities in the Kansas City Live development was attended by about 250 people. Goals for the $183.5 million project call for 15 percent of the contracts to go to minority-owned firms and 7 percent to women-owned firms.

“It was very successful,” said Gary Carter, director of the Tax Increment Financing Commission. “We had more numbers than we anticipated.”
Just curious: as a pre-condition to allowing an NBA team to re-locate into KC, will there be any clauses requiring 80% of the roster to be white?

What's the difference btw that absurdity, and the one I just read?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Its very simple, Pitt. Believe it or not, in the past, minority owned businesses were actually excluded from these types of projects. Shocking, I know. Who would have thought this could happen in America?????

the goals represent, generally the percentage of minority busineeses in hte fields in KC. With the sheer number of projects, many won't meet those goals because those firms will be busy in other projects. They are GOALS, not requirements.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Well I hope you are right. The best firms should win the contracts, just as the best players should be on NBA rosters.

We can't get to a point in society where we have quotas just for the sake of quotas. Do you really want to see TJ Pugh and Jason Sutherland on an NBA roster just for a quotas sake? No way.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Can you see a firm not getting a contract just because they are minority or woman owned? KCMO's past track record of shady dealings in awarding contracts for civic pojects goes back generations. Absolutely, under no circumstances should the contracts be awarded just because it it is a minority business. We are at a point now when, although quotas aren't a good thing, it is important to demonstrate a good faith effort to NOT exclude minority businesses.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
cooper12
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cooper12 »

I think Jason Sutherland would have been much better for the USA Olympic team than some of those other jokers.. what an shame.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote:
mean wrote:I never thought I'd say this, but, "Go Cordish!"
Why did you think you'd never say that? Are you not in favor of the entertainment district?
I am in favor of anything that puts more residential downtown (or in midtown, or anywhere urban) -- especially on a developer's dime.

I never thought I'd say that because, not having any evidence to the contrary, I figured the rez would come years later, if at all, and that is exactly what I didn't want to see. Surely I've posted about it before, "Rez first, ninnies," or somesuch.

Whatever, I am just glad it's working out this way.

I know that since I have some fundamental disagreements with most of you about the arena plan (even though I voted for it!) it's easy to pigeonhole me as some kind of anti-everything jerkoff. Please don't, IT MAKES ME CRY. [-X
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm not pigeonholing.....just wondering why you said you didn't think you'd ever say "go cordish".