Article by Hearne Christopher

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
kurtiebird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kurtiebird »

Saw this article, and now I know why people here don't like this guy. Could he be any more of a wet blanket?

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/9364642.htm

[quote]
Hey sports fans: Curious about what 300-pound concert gorilla Clear Channel's take on that new downtown arena is?

According to local Clear Channel honcho Chris Fritz: The city's deal to let far-smaller, music biz rival AEG Live run the show here in return for its $50 million investment could prove problematic. In sports and music.

Don't get Fritz wrong.

“I think it's great, we're looking forward to doing concerts there,â€
BBTSB
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Article by Hearne Christopher

Post by trailerkid »

[quote="kurtiebird"] Kemper, incidentally, is a money loser for the city doing 140 to 150 dates a year, 13 of which are concerts. “You don't build a $250 million arena for a handful of concerts or one Big 12 tournament every three or four years,â€
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Chris Fritz is his only source....can this guy go away now.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I thought I had read before that Kemper has 200 dates already without an NBA, NHL, minor league hockey or AFL team. I think by the time Sprint opens we'll have a minor league hockey and AFL team in place so we should easily fill over 200 dates.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Article by Hearne Christopher

Post by DiggityDawg »

trailerkid wrote:Why in the world is he asking a lowly Clear Channel promoter in KC about the NBA/NHL?
Because no one relevant to any issue will take that jackass's calls.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

he's asking a competitor how AEG will run their operation. What does he expect them to say? yes, AEG will do a better job than us and more successful. Clear Channel has a vested interest in this, they are not an impartial observer.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

It's becoming clear to me that AEG was just saying "guarantee" about NBA/NHL to get us excited to vote for the arena.

W/o either sport, the arena loses lots of its luster. And I know Sprint agrees, they only pay 2/3 the amount if it's not here.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

that is one stupid comment man... An arena that will be an architectural marvel and will support nearly 10 minor league sports will not lost any of it's luster...
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCDevin wrote:that is one stupid comment man... An arena that will be an architectural marvel and will support nearly 10 minor league sports will not lost any of it's luster...
Oh, ok. thanks Devin. There are plenty of people like me that think a 250M palace that houses a freaking minor league hockey team will make us look like idiots.

We disagree. That's ok.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

pittsburghparoyal wrote:It's becoming clear to me that AEG was just saying "guarantee" about NBA/NHL to get us excited to vote for the arena.

W/o either sport, the arena loses lots of its luster. And I know Sprint agrees, they only pay 2/3 the amount if it's not here.
get us? I believe I voted for the arena, not JoCo. We need an arena. period. that's it.

Sprint wants a pro sport in there...they will have to pay more ($2.5M v. 1.67M) but that's where they get the advertising...no way they buy in if they didn't think there was a pro team moving in.

It doesn't lose any luster with us here in KCMO....the city needed a new downtown arena and we got it done with visitor fees...I'll take it.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

pittsburghparoyal wrote:It's becoming clear to me that AEG was just saying "guarantee" about NBA/NHL to get us excited to vote for the arena.

If AEG wanted to take over a lackluster arena with no pro sports and no world tours they would've went after Kemper. AEG, owner of the freaking Lakers, LA Kings, and Staples Center, did not come to KC to front some glorified bingo hall. They think they can make money in KC.

After NBA/NHL is located here, then we'll have to hear from the naysayers counting down the days until it fails. If the team is a huge success, the naysayers will be pointing out how expensive tickets are and what a waste it is or about the lack of parking.](*,) Their negativity towards everything spares absolutely no target. For lack of a better expression, get a fucking life.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Chris Fritz has been involved with sports for many years now, just not in this market. He is involved in the Lacross indoor league that plays in the northeast since it began. He has also had dealings with many other sports. And with his business he has been involved with many arenas throughout the years. He also knows entertainment since he has been a concert promoter for close to 30 years. I may not like Hearne but I do like Chris. My dealings with him have been honest and he has been very knowledgeable about the entertainment business, of which sports is in.

Kemper made money for part of the year, the part that had events. Kemper's bad times were always in the summer with all of the open dates. And they appeared to have the same number of open dates as in past years. Also, many of the events the private manager had during the season were booked by the City before it took over. Have not seen the numbers yet so I am curious as to how the private manager made a go of it.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

he's not an inpartial onlooker....it's sad this is what our "rumor" columnist has come to.....getting one source and beating it to death.

I can't wait for tomorrow when he reports that last week's first friday crowd was overestimated.

he's got nothing.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Chris Fritz has been involved with sports for many years now, just not in this market. He is involved in the Lacross indoor league that plays in the northeast since it began.
:lol: I stopped reading after that last sentence...
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: get us? I believe I voted for the arena, not JoCo. We need an arena. period. that's it.
Reality is calling, KCP.

Sprint is based where? And just who the hell do you think is going to foot the bill when Brittany Bozo comes to town charging 90/ticket? Raytown?

43rd & Troost, not likely my friend. You need JOCO in the worst way to make this thing work. Union Station is proof positive.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

trailerkid wrote:
aknowledgeableperson wrote:Chris Fritz has been involved with sports for many years now, just not in this market. He is involved in the Lacross indoor league that plays in the northeast since it began.
Too bad you have a closed mind. With an open mind you might actually learn something.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

uhhhh, what? Are you stating nobody in raytown or 43rd and troost can afford concert tickets and the only reason we're getting a new arena is because of one suburb?

Be proud of the suburb you live in I guess....I'd hope people could start coming together and be proud of the whole metro but just feels so much cooler saying what COUNTY you live in doesn't it?

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

If AEG wanted to take over a lackluster arena with no pro sports and no world tours they would've went after Kemper. AEG, owner of the freaking Lakers, LA Kings, and Staples Center, did not come to KC to front some glorified bingo hall. They think they can make money in KC.
Agreed 100%. They know what'll work. I'll trust that they do. However, when you say "I guarantee youll get a tenant", I want to take him at his word. Maybe it won't come true, but if he KNOWS it's not likely, he should be honest.

After NBA/NHL is located here, then we'll have to hear from the naysayers counting down the days until it fails. If the team is a huge success, the naysayers will be pointing out how expensive tickets are and what a waste it is or about the lack of parking.](*,) Their negativity towards everything spares absolutely no target. For lack of a better expression, get a fucking life.
Disagree. Every city is like that. Every election is 50-50, maybe 60-40 in this country. WE can disagree on things. It's the American way.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
trailerkid wrote:
Too bad you have a closed mind. With an open mind you might actually learn something.
If it's about Fritz's knowledge base in the "sport" of lacrosse then I'll pass...
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

uhhhh, what? Are you stating nobody in raytown or 43rd and troost can afford concert tickets and the only reason we're getting a new arena is because of one suburb?
1. yes, I'm stating definitively, that Raytown and Troost will not be important to AEG.

2. You need to step back and re-assess what that "suburb" meant to your damn campaign. Kietz was gung ho from minute one, and yes, people DO listen to him in KCMO. Second, Sprint putting their support behind it was CRUCIAL.
Be proud of the suburb you live in I guess....I'd hope people could start coming together and be proud of the whole metro but just feels so much cooler saying what COUNTY you live in doesn't it?
You must've glossed over the part that said I wanted to live on the Plaza, but can't afford it. However, i'm not blind to know that the economic engine of KC is clearly JOCO. Average household income is something like 78K, it's outrageous.