Enterprise Bribing People to Speak Against Arena

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Enterprise Bribing People to Speak Against Arena

Post by KCK »

Damn Enteprise to HELL!!!!!!

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/new ... etail.html
Former NBA Star Says He Was Offered Money To Speak Against Arena
Meriweather: My Image Not For Sale

POSTED: 6:04 pm CDT August 2, 2004
UPDATED: 11:03 pm CDT August 2, 2004
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Opponents of the plan to build a downtown arena have used paid experts, news conferences and television and radio ads to convince voters to turn down Question 1. But on Monday, a former NBA player said he was offered a bribe to speak against the arena plan.

Joe Meriweather (pictured, left) is the women's basketball coach at Park University. He played professional ball for 12 years -- five with the Kansas City Kings. Meriweather said opponents of the arena asked him to speak against the plan, then tried to buy his endorsement.

"I received a phone call last night. It was against the arena for downtown," Meriweather said. "They asked me if I would make a statement to the media that I do not support the arena downtown. I told him I did not feel comfortable doing that."

Meriweather said he turned the caller down, but the arena-plan opponent soon called back.

"(He) offered me money to do it. But then I really don't think it was ethical to do stuff like that," he said.

KMBC's Dan Weinbaum reported that Meriweather's phone log showed two calls from the arena opposition's phone number.

Meriweather wouldn't say how much he was offered, but said it felt like a bribe.

"If I don't feel comfortable enough to do it freely, why would I do it for pay?" the coach asked.

Meriweather said he does support the downtown arena, but his image and his vote are not for sale, Weinbaum reported.

Paul Danaher, who is heading the arena-plan opposition, said Meriweather agreed to speak for the coalition, and it was only then that he was offered an appearance fee.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!