Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by KCRoyal »

I want to add my two cents here. Very excited about the project itself. I know this has been mentioned on this thread before, but I would really love to see a signature fountain in the heart of the downtown. I'm all for a playground for the kids, but to dedicate a whole block? How about a fountain like they have in Dallas' Klyde Warren Park with a downsized playground. Probably won't happen, because of cost and probably infrastructure issues, but you can bet it'll be the crown jewel for the city of fountains.

Here's a video of the Klyde Warren fountain in Dallas:
https://youtu.be/RMchCP0USaE?feature=shared
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

If it makes a difference that was phase 2 of Klyde Warren Park. The first fountain they built in Dallas was much closer to what we have mocked up in Kc.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

In this climate fountains are operable only 7 months out of the year. The only one I know that does not look awful in the winter is the Bloch fountain. For a fountain in this project I would rather see a small one that is heated for year round operation, like the ones at Crown Center. For a signature piece, a sculpture could offer that impact people are seeking.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

moderne wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:47 am In this climate fountains are operable only 7 months out of the year. The only one I know that does not look awful in the winter is the Bloch fountain. For a fountain in this project I would rather see a small one that is heated for year round operation, like the ones at Crown Center. For a signature piece, a sculpture could offer that impact people are seeking.
A heated fountain is a good idea. I am still thunderstruck that the Meyer Circle fountain was never out-of-service once from the 1960s until 1990, when it was "refurbished" during the circle realignment (why they had to take the sculptural font away was always a mystery), but since its return circa 1995, it has been disabled twice for three+ years each time because the operational vault froze. Presumably technology improved in fountain maintenance in those decades as well.

The last time Meyer was frozen, those of us just on the Kansas side were asked to contribute (and did) tens of thousands to its upkeep. It would be cheaper to design to heat these things properly from the get-go. Or we give certain parks maintenance over to a donor-managed foundation like in NYC.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

For the capped park fountain, it seems like the simplest thing to do would be to mix cool water with heated water from the downtown steam plant. The infrastructure for that is already in place.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

herrfrank wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:36 am
moderne wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:47 am In this climate fountains are operable only 7 months out of the year. The only one I know that does not look awful in the winter is the Bloch fountain. For a fountain in this project I would rather see a small one that is heated for year round operation, like the ones at Crown Center. For a signature piece, a sculpture could offer that impact people are seeking.
A heated fountain is a good idea. I am still thunderstruck that the Meyer Circle fountain was never out-of-service once from the 1960s until 1990, when it was "refurbished" during the circle realignment (why they had to take the sculptural font away was always a mystery), but since its return circa 1995, it has been disabled twice for three+ years each time because the operational vault froze. Presumably technology improved in fountain maintenance in those decades as well.

The last time Meyer was frozen, those of us just on the Kansas side were asked to contribute (and did) tens of thousands to its upkeep. It would be cheaper to design to heat these things properly from the get-go. Or we give certain parks maintenance over to a donor-managed foundation like in NYC.
What sculptural font?

FangKC wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:37 pm For the capped park fountain, it seems like the simplest thing to do would be to mix cool water with heated water from the downtown steam plant. The infrastructure for that is already in place.
+1
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Sounds complicated and expensive
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:55 am Sounds complicated and expensive
And heavy.

I’d like the park to have one but please figure out how to keep the homeless out of it.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The park design they've come up with is perfect. It'll be a much better draw the with the items it has right now than just a fountain. It'll be the darling of the 2026 World Cup, 100%

I think a fountain is something that should be in play for Phase 2 of the South Loop Cap, when they extend it two more blocks.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

You can have fountains without pools; reducing the weight, and freezing concerns, dramatically.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:29 pm You can have fountains without pools; reducing the weight, and freezing concerns, dramatically.
Solid idea. More like the Crown Center style.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:33 pm
shinatoo wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:29 pm You can have fountains without pools; reducing the weight, and freezing concerns, dramatically.
Solid idea. More like the Crown Center style.
One a year. :)
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

moderne wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:47 am In this climate fountains are operable only 7 months out of the year.
Patience, grasshopper. We have a plan to fix that.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Construction of an urban park at Interstate 670 to add green space and remove the divide created by the construction of the highway ($314 million).
https://www.transportation.gov/briefing ... bility-and

Project listed on the DOT's recent announcement. I'm assuming that the $314 million reflects the total project cost of this now.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Sounds like it's also including the new Cordish towers ("protected parking") and Barney Allis Plaza (?).
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:34 pm Sounds like it's also including the new Cordish towers ("protected parking") and Barney Allis Plaza (?).
Barney Allis?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:34 pm Sounds like it's also including the new Cordish towers ("protected parking") and Barney Allis Plaza (?).
If that is the case, then they might be underestimating the all in cost. Going off the most recent price estimates, those 3 initiatives would be just over $350 million dollars.

South Loop Cap - $217 million reported by KMBC in September

Barney Allis Plaza - $112.5 million estimated by the city in August

Cordish Garage - ~$20-25 million based on the $17.5 million approved for 3 Light in 2018
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1amAOmLNyk ... _copy_link

I looked at this photo today and was wondering if there is a way to disassemble the arch portion of the bridge. It could then be reassembled and lit up over the deck park.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

I think it would be awesome and unique. It hearkens to Kansas City's origin as a river crossing city. Someone get the Mayor and City Manager on the phone. I assume this is related to the city's effort to save parts of the bridge since the park plan fell through?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I don't believe modot would love that