Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by WoodDraw »

Who's seeking the bonds?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

“At this point, looking at where we are, with the team that we assembled – I, personally, am optimistic that in 2026 you will see a South Loop Link project live and open for the public,” said Stephens.

Port KC President and CEO Jon Stephens said they are in the works to get a portion of that $160 million total with $18 million in private commitments from the downtown stakeholders and an additional 10s of million through federal grants---goals that he said are in their grasp.
https://www.kctv5.com/2023/01/09/160m-g ... ears-away/
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I am hopeful that the cap will be a beautiful and active park that is useful everyday for nearby workers and residents. I am a little worried that it is on a track to become another KC booster bauble instead of a real urban amenity. I am a little out of the loop (haha) so my concern may be misplaced. But I feel like we hear Klyde Warren cited frequently, and while Klyde Warren is a nice space, in my experience it functions much more as a highly programmed destination a la Union Station as opposed to an active urban park/square that is well utilized because its design invites people to linger and treat it as an urban living room. There is probably a balance somewhere in between say, a Madison Square Park or Rittenhouse Square, and Klyde Warren and more heavily programmed spaces.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

smh wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:51 am I am hopeful that the cap will be a beautiful and active park that is useful everyday for nearby workers and residents. I am a little worried that it is on a track to become another KC booster bauble instead of a real urban amenity. I am a little out of the loop (haha) so my concern may be misplaced. But I feel like we hear Klyde Warren cited frequently, and while Klyde Warren is a nice space, in my experience it functions much more as a highly programmed destination a la Union Station as opposed to an active urban park/square that is well utilized because its design invites people to linger and treat it as an urban living room. There is probably a balance somewhere in between say, a Madison Square Park or Rittenhouse Square, and Klyde Warren and more heavily programmed spaces.
Agreed smh. While I whole heartedly support capping the highway by any means necessary but I do fear, as you say, booster bauble. The cap park is being done with significant amounts of private money. Naturally that means those private interests get power and say so over the programming and use of the space. Ideally I would like a place that feels truly public and democratic, like the small Manhattan parks Madison Square or Bryant Square, or Rittenhouse Square as you mention. I have never visited Klyde Warren so I cannot really comment on the execution there. We are not getting a Bryant square on the cap, of that I'm pretty sure.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:57 am
“At this point, looking at where we are, with the team that we assembled – I, personally, am optimistic that in 2026 you will see a South Loop Link project live and open for the public,” said Stephens.

Port KC President and CEO Jon Stephens said they are in the works to get a portion of that $160 million total with $18 million in private commitments from the downtown stakeholders and an additional 10s of million through federal grants---goals that he said are in their grasp.
https://www.kctv5.com/2023/01/09/160m-g ... ears-away/
So they’ve raised less than half the amount needed and want to open in three years.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:46 am
smh wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:51 am I am hopeful that the cap will be a beautiful and active park that is useful everyday for nearby workers and residents. I am a little worried that it is on a track to become another KC booster bauble instead of a real urban amenity. I am a little out of the loop (haha) so my concern may be misplaced. But I feel like we hear Klyde Warren cited frequently, and while Klyde Warren is a nice space, in my experience it functions much more as a highly programmed destination a la Union Station as opposed to an active urban park/square that is well utilized because its design invites people to linger and treat it as an urban living room. There is probably a balance somewhere in between say, a Madison Square Park or Rittenhouse Square, and Klyde Warren and more heavily programmed spaces.
Agreed smh. While I whole heartedly support capping the highway by any means necessary but I do fear, as you say, booster bauble. The cap park is being done with significant amounts of private money. Naturally that means those private interests get power and say so over the programming and use of the space. Ideally I would like a place that feels truly public and democratic, like the small Manhattan parks Madison Square or Bryant Square, or Rittenhouse Square as you mention. I have never visited Klyde Warren so I cannot really comment on the execution there. We are not getting a Bryant square on the cap, of that I'm pretty sure.
Having lived a half mile away from it for 3 years, Klyde Warren felt open 95% of the time. Every once in a while there would be an art festival or gala that would block off the park from the public. But most of the time they would still leave about 1/3 of the park open up here

I don't know the Manhattan parks so I can't compare. But even when there was a programmed activity like a yoga class or a sax player on the stage, we could and would hang out on the lawn. Maybe the KC cap would be different, but if it is like Klyde Warren it will be so huge for downtown.

Downtown needs more places to hang out that aren't bars/restaurants.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

City Manager Brian Platt, speaking to KC Downtowners on Wednesday, said project supporters have carried out significant private fundraising from property owners “who are adjacent to (the park) or just interested in making the city a better place.” And they continue to work with the state for funding opportunities.

“We haven’t spent any local taxpayer dollars yet, and we don’t plan to for a while just because we’ve got so many other priorities in the city, but we’ve funded a good amount of this project already,” Platt said. “It’s ready to go, and hopefully we’ll be breaking ground on that later this year, maybe.”

South Loop Link’s addition of green space at the city center's doorstep “will change the context of Downtown and our city,” Port KC CEO Jon Stephens said in October.
I assume this is what normalthings was referring to

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... grant.html
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:14 pm
FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:46 am
Having lived a half mile away from it for 3 years, Klyde Warren felt open 95% of the time. Every once in a while there would be an art festival or gala that would block off the park from the public. But most of the time they would still leave about 1/3 of the park open up here

I don't know the Manhattan parks so I can't compare. But even when there was a programmed activity like a yoga class or a sax player on the stage, we could and would hang out on the lawn. Maybe the KC cap would be different, but if it is like Klyde Warren it will be so huge for downtown.

Downtown needs more places to hang out that aren't bars/restaurants.
That's good perspective to have. Thanks for sharing. I may be criticizing Klyde Warren too harshly. And to be clear, I'm not so much worried about areas being closed for events (though I suppose that is something to watch w/ Cordish and others as has been discussed elsewhere), it's more about it being so chopped up physically as it tries to be everything to everyone with its physical programming that it ends up feeling and behaving less like an urban square/park than a novelty to "take the kids to" every now and then, if that makes sense.

EDIT: In either scenario the cap is a vast improvement over the existing condition, just want to make sure we're getting the appropriate urban bang for our buck.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

When they say this- I dont think they mean they are ready to build the whole thing. I have heard the manger say they have the money to build 1/4 of the park and so they will proceed in a phased approach.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

smh wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:37 pm
That's good perspective to have. Thanks for sharing. I may be criticizing Klyde Warren too harshly. And to be clear, I'm not so much worried about areas being closed for events (though I suppose that is something to watch w/ Cordish and others as has been discussed elsewhere), it's more about it being so chopped up physically as it tries to be everything to everyone with its physical programming that it ends up feeling and behaving less like an urban square/park than a novelty to "take the kids to" every now and then, if that makes sense.

EDIT: In either scenario the cap is a vast improvement over the existing condition, just want to make sure we're getting the appropriate urban bang for our buck.
Yup that makes sense. With you on this. Would hope that there is space just vibe and throw a football/frisbee.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

That's what Davis park is, 3-4 blocks away.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

moderne wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:06 pm That's what Davis park is, 3-4 blocks away.
Sure - Mulkey Square Park too. But if you live in the Xroads, you're over a mile walk from those and Penn Valley. City is shooting for all Kansas Citians being within a 10-minute (1/2 mile) walk of a park
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

In KC's much vaunted parks and boulevards system from the turn of the last century the big gap was always downtown. Why did Kessler not extend the system into downtown? The closest was West Terrace(now Case). Was it the cost of land in the then thriving downtown? Did DT business interests not want it? What was Wm Rockhill Nelson's stance?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

The park will have a pavilion for programming and I'm sure the entire park could be closed once or twice a year for bigger events. Similar to Irish Fest and that park.

Even with the programming, the park layout should be so that if you don't want to hear the band or act on stage, you can find a spot to relax and enjoy.

I believe if the park isn't activated heavily, it's a miss and will simply be a "green space". Plenty of places to go be alone on some grass around downtown KC, we can't let this become that.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderne wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:35 pm In KC's much vaunted parks and boulevards system from the turn of the last century the big gap was always downtown. Why did Kessler not extend the system into downtown? The closest was West Terrace(now Case). Was it the cost of land in the then thriving downtown? Did DT business interests not want it? What was Wm Rockhill Nelson's stance?
Wasn't it a little about clearing blight?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Admiral Boulevard/7th Street from Broadway east to Woodland was part of the parks and boulevard system but it was lost over time.

https://kchistory.org/image/admiral-bou ... ffset%5D=2

https://kchistory.org/image/admiral-bou ... ffset%5D=6

https://kchistory.org/image/map-showing ... ffset%5D=1

The City should make an effort to restore it.

I'm surprised Kessler didn't attempt to make 15th Street (now Truman Road) into a landscaped boulevard. It would have been very easy since it's so wide. It might have developed completely differently had he done so. It might be more like Armour Boulevard with apartment buildings.

The City still can. Redo the street over time. Upscale it with center planted medians, tree wells on the sidewalks, rezoning for more residential, etc.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Admiral is still part of the boulevard system from Grand to Highland.

Fun fact: it's the only boulevard in the city with a one-way segment.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

On Admiral just east of the View next to its parking garage is a remnant stone wall that on supported a view structure called the Belvedere.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Truman Boulevard! That street definitely has room to be a beautiful modern blvd!