Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by HalcyonKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:06 pm
FangKC wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:34 pm It's probably not a good idea to be naming things after politicians while they are still in office, or so soon after leaving office.
This absolutely cannot be named after Blunt. First, the federal money is not actually in hand. Second, save the name for naming rights to cover operational costs for the nonprofit entity who will run it.
It might have sounded like I was joking when I said naming it "Blunt Park" will turn it into a marijuana smoking hangout. I wasn't. That really will happen, at least at a very low but ongoing level. It will be treated as an inside joke among some of the younger crowd that the park will attract, just enough that every single event hosted there will reek of weed. It doesn't take much to stink up a large area, given that any nonsmoker can smell it in their own car with the windows rolled up when a smoker happens to drive by. There's going to be elevated maintenance costs from cleaning up after graffiti taggers affixing little marijuana leaf stickers to light poles and other fixtures, scribbles of '420' from sharpie markers, etc. Picture a future Cordish and Downtown Council trying to establish image, programming, branding, always with that unending juvenile noise in the background.

We should treat that outcome as the given, absolute certain result of naming it Blunt Park, and treat it as a bad joke ourselves. In doing so, help derail a bad naming idea if only by appealing to the ego of those involved. Roy wouldn't want a weed-smoking park as his legacy, and those hoping to curry favor by suggesting the name will hopefully stop when they realize the end result will be a tongue-in-cheek insult to the conservative values he represented in his political career. Find a more appropriate way to honor Roy at a future time.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It's funny that KC still tries to market off being tbe city of fountains but never builds them anymore because we're too cheap.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

*renderings to try to get project approved*

Fountains everywhere!

*Project approved*

Hai we bought you some glass
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:06 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:48 am It would be cool if it were like the Discovery District, but I doubt KC's lid even has a fountain. KC has been talking about taking out fountains lately more than building new ones. The new KCI doesn't have one, the one at Barney Allis is going away. It would be a shame, but I bet the new baseball stadium doesn't have one. That should be a requirement for the new stadium.

I think this park needs a destination fountain and it needs to have some topography to it taking advantage of the elevation change.

Something like the Discovery District could be built on the BAP site and that would help tie it do the 670 park.
I thought the airport design had a huge fountain inside the main entrance?
Check out the star today. Shows the "fountain". It's a illuminated sculpture looking like a fountain. I think it's pretty cool and much less maintenance. A kci fountain could have turned into a 1980s mall fountain
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:13 pm It's funny that KC still tries to market off being tbe city of fountains but never builds them anymore because we're too cheap.
The City of Fountains name is stupid. I liked "Paris of the Plains" alot better.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

HalcyonKC wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:10 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:06 pm
FangKC wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:34 pm It's probably not a good idea to be naming things after politicians while they are still in office, or so soon after leaving office.
This absolutely cannot be named after Blunt. First, the federal money is not actually in hand. Second, save the name for naming rights to cover operational costs for the nonprofit entity who will run it.
It might have sounded like I was joking when I said naming it "Blunt Park" will turn it into a marijuana smoking hangout. I wasn't. That really will happen, at least at a very low but ongoing level. It will be treated as an inside joke among some of the younger crowd that the park will attract, just enough that every single event hosted there will reek of weed. It doesn't take much to stink up a large area, given that any nonsmoker can smell it in their own car with the windows rolled up when a smoker happens to drive by. There's going to be elevated maintenance costs from cleaning up after graffiti taggers affixing little marijuana leaf stickers to light poles and other fixtures, scribbles of '420' from sharpie markers, etc. Picture a future Cordish and Downtown Council trying to establish image, programming, branding, always with that unending juvenile noise in the background.

We should treat that outcome as the given, absolute certain result of naming it Blunt Park, and treat it as a bad joke ourselves. In doing so, help derail a bad naming idea if only by appealing to the ego of those involved. Roy wouldn't want a weed-smoking park as his legacy, and those hoping to curry favor by suggesting the name will hopefully stop when they realize the end result will be a tongue-in-cheek insult to the conservative values he represented in his political career. Find a more appropriate way to honor Roy at a future time.
Lol yeah. If it's named Blunt Park I could definitely see people smoking/doing an edible before they get there.

As long as there are people maintaining the park, I can't imagine people often smoking at the park itself
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

^Yeah, he's not wrong about "Blunt Park" bringing in smoking which is gonna kill the reputation of this park with so much potential.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I don't want it named Blunt Park but I have no concerns about it becoming a pot smoking destination. Let's face it, none of us have been to an event in the last 15 years where pot smoking wasn't taking place and sooner than later, it will be 100% legal. Most concert goers are hitting the edibles before entering the concerts these days anyway.

I'll never forget being casually passed a joint at the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert a few years back at T-Mobile. Lights got a lot better after that!
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

lol I love it. Case Park and the Riverfront will likely diverge some of the publicly indulgent stoner traffic.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:09 pm sooner than later, it will be 100% legal.
You still can't do it in public anywhere even if legal. I know some will but it being legal doesn't really matter for that.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:17 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:09 pm sooner than later, it will be 100% legal.
You still can't do it in public anywhere even if legal. I know some will but it being legal doesn't really matter for that.
It would be legal in public during events.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

KC Cannafest @ Senator Roy Blunt Park, anyone?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

daGOAT wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:25 pm KC Cannafest @ Senator Roy Blunt Park, anyone?
Only if it's held on 4-20
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Mark your calendars, gentlemen.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:02 pm
100% not true or able to be done lol.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Anyone wanting to get stoned before/during a public event or in a public park is already doing it. This is a non issue. Though we could do ourselves better than naming this after Roy Blunt.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:52 pm

You don’t think live music venues will sell marijuana options just like they do alcohol as soon as it’s federally legal? Lol

It’s already in the works.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:19 pm

You don’t think live music venues will sell marijuana options just like they do alcohol as soon as it’s federally legal? Lol

The legalization of pot means you can buy it, but you're not allowed to smoke it out in public. It's only legal to use in your home.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:22 pm

The legalization of pot means you can buy it, but you're not allowed to smoke it out in public. It's only legal to use in your home.
doesn't seem like the case here in Los Angeles lol
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

daGOAT wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:34 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:22 pm

doesn't seem like the case here in Los Angeles lol
I knew someone was gonna say this. But yeah technically it’s not legal to do in public.