Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by WoodDraw »

I would be hesitant to think that the star has any coherent view of KC development strategy.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

We do need a local newspaper. Places without good reportage tend to see corruption in local government. TV news has not historically devoted the time to covering day-to-day activities of government and politics. KMBC probably did the best job with Michaell Mahoney, but he's retired.

The best outcome would be for the Star to be sold to some local group, put into a non-profit trust, and partner with the KCPT PBS channel/KCUR NPR.

It doesn't seem that a majority of the Star staff have lived in Kansas City for any length of time to really know the City.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

One thing in general I've never understood is this mindset:

"Spend more resources to help the east side!!"

"No, don't spend the resources- you're causing gentrification!"

*cycle repeats*
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

There's alot of people just trying to sound like they care about what goes on in the Eastside and unfortunately some of them are journalists.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

The star editorial board is made up of the same types of people who say, “that money could have helped the homeless or fed the poor or gone to our schools” anytime public money is involved with a development. Same people who I’ve seen bash Elon Musk for spending so much on Twitter when all those billions could have helped fix this or that.

They have no real understanding of complicated TIF or development in general.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:29 pm We do need a local newspaper. Places without good reportage tend to see corruption in local government. TV news has not historically devoted the time to covering day-to-day activities of government and politics. KMBC probably did the best job with Michaell Mahoney, but he's retired.

The best outcome would be for the Star to be sold to some local group, put into a non-profit trust, and partner with the KCPT PBS channel/KCUR NPR.

It doesn't seem that a majority of the Star staff have lived in Kansas City for any length of time to really know the City.
We do need a local newspaper. Just not the Star. At the very least, it needs to be locally controlled or a viable replacement needs to grow into prominence. While newspapers can be vehicles to control corruption in local government, the Star unfortunately looks for corruption where it doesn't exist and controversy where there is none. Their negative take on projects that would be great for Kansas City (like capping the loop) are incongruous journalistic trash.

The Star tries to stir stuff up for the sake of selling newspapers which a big reason I dropped my subscription which is something I never thought I would do. I probably would have kept the subscription regardless but they doubled the price and after I negotiated a smaller price increase which they agreed to, they continued to charge me the doubled price. Incompetent in journalism and accounting. If I had a subscription, it would be an internet subscription but moving the printing to Des Moines was an insult to Kansas City - I remind myself of that every time I think of renewing my subscription.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:34 am The star editorial board is made up of the same types of people who say, “that money could have helped the homeless or fed the poor or gone to our schools” anytime public money is involved with a development. Same people who I’ve seen bash Elon Musk for spending so much on Twitter when all those billions could have helped fix this or that.

They have no real understanding of complicated TIF or development in general.
They get it but they don't care. They are writing for clicks. Their approach gets views!
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

I hope they take a good look at how Cincinnati activates most of the parks they have downtown- by putting a bar in each of them and allowing you to drink in a section of the park.There are at least two of those that I have been to, and are quite busy even in the early afternoon weekday. They also have DORA (Designated Outdoor Refreshment Areas) districts which allow you to open carry in certain entertainment areas.

But doesn't MO have some law that there can't be any commercial over the interstate or something? Might be a good option for Barney Allis and even something to get SOME kind of foot traffic/$$$ to stay in Oppenstein Bro's park.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Blunt is getting a bridge named after him in Jefferson City. Can that be enough so we don't have to name anything after him?

Central Missouri bridge to be named after Blunt
The pair of through arch truss bridges opened in the early 1990s and are an important part of travel through Jefferson City. The bridge is the main entrance to the state’s capital city from the north. Two major highways, Highway 54 and Route 63, both span the bridge and into the city. The bridge is an essential part of travel to multiple parts of the state, including Lake of the Ozarks and Rolla.

The bridge has been known simply as the Jefferson City bridge. The bill stipulated the new signage dictating the name will be funded by private donation if the bill is signed into law.
https://themissouritimes.com/central-mi ... ter-blunt/
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

The park's existing 2018 concepts will be fleshed out, in part from a community engagement campaign, and allow officials to better nail down an overall project cost. Handzel said those honed designs also would inform a federal environmental review, including of the park's impacts to the interstate and nearby properties.

Factoring in that process, plus a following final design phase, he said the park's grant applications reflect a 2025 construction start, though that timeline could be accelerated, depending on the specific design-build approach officials choose to pursue.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... i-670.html
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Just for reference, this was the project timeline for Klyde Warren
The initial feasibility study for the Park was conducted in 2004. In June 2006, the Woodall Rodgers Park Foundation unveiled the Park’s original design and three years later announced that Archer Western won the project’s construction contract. Four months after the announcement, construction of the Park began in October 2009 and 36 months later the Park opened in October 2012.
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ipd/project_pr ... _park.aspx
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

How can you start in 2025 for a project being announced now?

Also, wasn’t Lucas’s line at the press conference “this will be one of those projects you see shovels on the ground for quickly and not in ages from now”
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Gotta get the grant money secured & they want community input in the design.

It was 3 years from unveiling of the final design to construction start for Klyde Warren too.

If anything 3 years is optimistic because we don’t have a final design
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Oh wait, now that I read the full article is says they could accelerate it. I bet they will. I think I’d we get the World Cup bid they 100% will.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:35 pm How can you start in 2025 for a project being announced now?

Also, wasn’t Lucas’s line at the press conference “this will be one of those projects you see shovels on the ground for quickly and not in ages from now”
You gotta understand the speed of municipal government.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:25 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:35 pm How can you start in 2025 for a project being announced now?

I’m more of a strategy guy
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:32 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:26 am
I bet you were great at Sim City
Lol never tried it. I understand government is slow but we gotta put pressure on it anyway (especially locally) and get it going as fast as we can. We also need to push back on things on like KC Tenants. Gotta speak up and pressure always. Otherwise projects will never get done and tenant groups will reign.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Goonies wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:32 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:26 am
KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:25 pm

I bet you were great at Sim City
SimCity is so 1990’s, all the cool kids are playing cities skyline now
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

12-18 months to ground breaking. Maybe sooner per CM this morning.

CM said next goal is to remove or cap east side highways and Northloop
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They need to develop a master plan and roll that out in 0hases.

Excited for the east side fixes and of course anything being done on north loop