Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:20 pm I'll mostly stay out of this non-fight because it's meaningless. There are two options: name it after someone that pays money or name it after someone historically important. Cordish is squarely in the former lol

So far I like Truman the best unless a corporation dumps some money on the park, quite literally.

I think politicians should be dead or let their legacies brew for a little bit at least.
I'm a homer but I'd argue Cordish is historically relevant to this city and besides their money, without their vision and efforts, this park wouldn't even be a possibility. That said, I think the park name needs local ties and the Cordish family isn't egotistical enough to want anything named after them.

There will be multiple opportunities to honor local people, not only by the main naming of the park but sections will also be named. Monet Pavilion, Blunt Trail etc etc.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Eisenhower Memorial Park.

You know, considering what's buried underneath it.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Any idea who the very first person was to bring up the idea of capping the road with a park? I know it wasn't Nick Benjamins idea but he was the first person I heard talk about it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:43 pm Would this park be happening without the private donors who pledged early on, funded studies,pitched it, etc?
yes. it was $5M. It wasn't insurmountable funds.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:19 am Any idea who the very first person was to bring up the idea of capping the road with a park? I know it wasn't Nick Benjamins idea but he was the first person I heard talk about it.
Me. On this forum. Long time ago. Like a decade or more?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:35 am I keep seeing renderings of the park over I-670 between Main and Walnut. I wonder if this is part of any plan or is just an idea? I think it is needed to help connect Downtown to Crown Center and Crossroads. Can you imagine the view from this park? PAC, Arts Center, Ballroom, Arena, and Star Building would all be in plain view, not to mention the skylines of Downtown and Crown Center, wow.
Sorry KCP, looks like the cap park was a thing before you brought it up. I was looking forward to KC Powercat Park though. ;)
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:19 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:19 am Any idea who the very first person was to bring up the idea of capping the road with a park? I know it wasn't Nick Benjamins idea but he was the first person I heard talk about it.
Me. On this forum. Long time ago. Like a decade or more?
First post on this topic is Grid back in '04. Can't wait to visit Grid Park!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:44 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:35 am I keep seeing renderings of the park over I-670 between Main and Walnut. I wonder if this is part of any plan or is just an idea? I think it is needed to help connect Downtown to Crown Center and Crossroads. Can you imagine the view from this park? PAC, Arts Center, Ballroom, Arena, and Star Building would all be in plain view, not to mention the skylines of Downtown and Crown Center, wow.
Sorry KCP, looks like the cap park was a thing before you brought it up. I was looking forward to KC Powercat Park though. ;)
If he is "seeing renderings" that's not the first time it was mentioned :)

I don't really think it was me but I know this site has been talking about it ever since it started (Grid/I) and I've complained about it even before I lived downtown which proceeds this site starting.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It was talked about around the convention center before power and light
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

City of Fountains park with some great fountains that are needed in this area and giving World Cup visitors a good feeling about Downtown Kansas City! Fountains,Bbq and jazz is what we're about.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Until they say there are drainage issues with a fountain that won't make it work but instead they'll put an art project up of people jumping around to represent an urban fountain.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

A linear fountain fashioned after the one at Burlington/N Oak would be perfect. Or taking a lane from either direction of Truman and flanking the sides with fountains to drown out noises and avoid the inevitable "drainage issues" of it being over the interstate.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Tunnel Tops Park Heals San Francisco’s Presidio

https://metropolismag.com/projects/pres ... tops-park/
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

FangKC wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:23 pm Tunnel Tops Park Heals San Francisco’s Presidio

https://metropolismag.com/projects/pres ... tops-park/
The park looks nice. The playground reminds me of the ones at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati. They still haven't capped Fort Washington Way, though, unfortunately.

Wonder what the delay was with the park, seeing as the tunneled section of Presidio Parkway was finished in the summer of 2015.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCKev wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:23 pm City of Fountains park with some great fountains that are needed in this area and giving World Cup visitors a good feeling about Downtown Kansas City! Fountains,Bbq and jazz is what we're about.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnMM-sRg ... _copy_link
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

How about 'First Lady Gloria Squitiro Park'? She did make her husband a big city mayor!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Please tell me that is a joke and is not a real published book?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

moderne wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:20 am Please tell me that is a joke and is not a real published book?
It comes from her website. One website says it's available March 25th.
https://gloriasquitiro.com/product/cmon ... -your-ass/
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Self published.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »