Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:25 pm Yeah, but Kyle Warren is an actual tunnel with ventilation fans etc. The streets crossing it are seamless. I thought the KC deck was basically going to work around the existing bridges and not be an actual tunnel meaning there will be gaps to provide ventilation. Maybe I'm wrong on that.
Not following. What is seamless? It still breaks up the park with roads. That didn't seem seamless. Just that the park didn't have gaps to below? Figured that will be handled with grates etc?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:20 pm
langosta wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:00 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:25 pm Yeah, but Kyle Warren is an actual tunnel with ventilation fans etc. The streets crossing it are seamless. I thought the KC deck was basically going to work around the existing bridges and not be an actual tunnel meaning there will be gaps to provide ventilation. Maybe I'm wrong on that.
IIRc, the strategy was minimize length + have some air vents.

Something like the Kauffman Garage could work
Kauffman Garage doesn't have the amount of traffic/noise/emissions that 670 will have.

Happy this is getting built and understand a full tunnel may not be feasible due to cost. Just wish this could have been an actual tunnel
We do have to keep in mind that nothing is final yet, and they still have that meeting coming up next week that we can provide feedback to, so there is hope that it could remain a tunnel plan
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

How is the new public space going to be programmed? What organization will be responsible for maintaining and programming the new space?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

trailerkid wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:16 pm How is the new public space going to be programmed? What organization will be responsible for maintaining and programming the new space?
Downtown council type, Cordish and Loews mentioned
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

If you participated in the Barney Allis Plaza/Bryant Park conversation, I would expect that as the management proposal.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Would management of an improved BAP and Loop Cover Park be the same group? Where would funding come from?

From Raleigh's Dix Park, which hosts events as big as J. Cole's Dreamville:

"The City of Raleigh owns and operates Dorothea Dix Park. Dix Park Conservancy is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that exists to support the City in its efforts, serve as its philanthropic and community engagement partner, and ensure the creation and long-term success of Dorothea Dix Park as a place for everyone – a transformative public space for community, health, and celebration that will enrich our quality of life in North Carolina."
https://www.dixparkconservancy.org/about

Interesting that Omaha's Gene Leahy Mall (now The Riverfront in larger terms) is managed by its own MECA instead of a parks-related conservancy:

"While it’s owned by the City of Omaha, The RiverFront is privately managed by the Metropolitan Entertainment & Convention Authority (MECA). MECA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that also operates the CHI Health Center Omaha arena and convention center and Charles Schwab Field Omaha ballpark, both located in the north downtown area. MECA oversees the everyday activation and maintenance of The RiverFront, while providing oversight of park operations and security."
https://theriverfrontomaha.com/about/
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Brian Platt interview with KMBC on the South Loop Cap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wFTHXWIstU
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:46 am Brian Platt interview with KMBC on the South Loop Cap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wFTHXWIstU
Good video. I am wondering where Cordish is at in terms of donations? There was talk on this forum of Cordish footing much of the bill for capping the loop in exchange for being able to occasionally reserving the resulting park for private events.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Went to the public meeting for this tonight. They said they have not decided what to do with Walnut yet. From what I gathered it seemed about 50/50 whether they keep Walnut open or not. They did not they don’t want it to negatively impact the streetcar.

Cafe’ & food trucks are heavily in play.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

What about engineering and design? Ventilation? Incorporating the present highway overpass bridges?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

moderne wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:26 pm What about engineering and design? Ventilation? Incorporating the present highway overpass bridges?
Haven't gotten to that part yet with the public. Next round on April 11th they're gonna present three different renderings and let the public comment on each.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

my confidence this opens in 2026 has sunken to 0
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:00 pm my confidence this opens in 2026 has sunken to 0
They said they can break ground mid-2024 and finish the project. Also said they could start first block at anytime with the funding, and are considering doing that while they line up more funding. They seemed fairly optmistic.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Did they have any concept boards, or is that really for the next meeting as mentioned?

Another random thought I wanted to share. In Philadelphia at Schuylkill Banks Park there is a dog park, adjacent to the dog park is a ramp that takes bikes and peds up over some railroad tracks and down onto a riverside path on the other side. This ramp has a great view down into the dog park. I would submit this is one of the most popular spots in the park. At any time of day people stand and watch the dogs run below and given the design (sloping ramp) it doesn't feel immediately like this viewing "platform" was intentional design decision.

Point being, this is a moment in the park that is organic, authentic public life arising from a basically unprogrammed space (the ramp, not the dog dog park itself which is obviously programmed), and very popular. These are the kind of moments and experiences this park should aim for...thanks for reading. :D
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Is there not a EIS impact study needed? Those alone can take years. If they are still doing concept meetings then you probably have a year of design after an alternative is chosen an you can't really start one block without having the entire thing at least designed to 70-90%. Then you have the environmental studies and getting approvals from the FHWA. They don't even know if they are keeping the existing bridges and if they do, how they would be incorporated into something like this and then maintained in the future. Typically highway decks are not piecemealed together like this (they are rebuilt replacing bridges etc), so this will be a challenge.

A ground breaking in a little over a year seems extremely unlikely unless they really plan to pull some major strings. Just being realistic.

I think the best case scenario is a 2025 ground breaking. Something might be able to open by 2026, but it would be quite the accomplishment, especially if it's designed and built properly and not just a budget project thrown together (like the Broadway Bridge).

I know they are trying, but coming from a highway design background, I think in order for this to open by 2026, it would have to have solid designs in place by now and already be in environmental studies. It should already be nearly shovel ready and then it might be possible to be open in three years.
Last edited by GRID on Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Yeah it's a pretty tight timeline. Sorry for the awkward picture - should have gotten one head on

TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Long story short the real question is just funding, and as long as they get it they should hit their goals.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

nothing ever goes to plan and going to plan has them barely opening in time
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Also a recipe for a rushed project that doesn't really address community needs but is a bauble for the convention hotel and Cordish.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Article in KCBJ this afternoon mentions that both the environmental study and pre-requisites are about finished. The public forums are to get public input on perceived/desired amenities, etc. that might be incorporated into the final plan. Sounds like it will possibly break ground in 2024.