Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by KCPowercat »

Welcome. I remember seeing that under construction a couple years ago during my first "covid" trip. I'd like to get up there and see how it all connects. Now I want slides on the cap!
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Go Omaha. This looks awesome
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Local FIFA planning team is working under the assumption this will be open in 2026. I feel good about that being a reality.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That would be amazing
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Don't understand how that happens unless the state and probably the feds get involved.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:20 am Don't understand how that happens unless the state and probably the feds get involved.
I wouldn’t doubt they’d get involved. This event is a big deal for branding of the state for sure
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If the cap could get to Holmes that would be huge for the jail site for Kauffman 2
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The State is sitting on a $2 billion surplus.

https://thebeacon.media/stories/2022/04 ... ax-credit/
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

FangKC wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:46 pm The State is sitting on a $2 billion surplus.

https://thebeacon.media/stories/2022/04 ... ax-credit/
They tried to do refund checks and now want to do a tax refund. Even with inflation, there's no push for deflationary measures so I wouldn't get excited.

Infrastructure doesn't seem to be important
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:48 pm Kinda goes without being said- but this *has* to be done by summer 2026 now. Has to. No excuses, no moaning, this has to be done.
Good thing they’re listening

It’s just common sense. Anything that was gonna get done around 2027-28 would be nuts not to do everything possible to get ready for 2026. I’d throw the Royals in that too.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

How much has spending power declined in Missouri? That 2b could be better utilized for public transit and pedestrian improvements throughout the entire state. That being said I'm sure there's a lot of Missourians excited to spend their $500 on mountain dew, cigarettes, and gasoline but geez.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

It would be nice for Federal and state help to get this done. I could see KC leadership pushing for this and doing whatever possible to get it done. I can see Cleaver & Blunt helping, maybe a few big picture Congressmen from STL area but otherwise that is it.

Hawley is not going to do a damn thing, and honestly I wouldn't want his stupid ass anywhere near KC and the wins we have had. Rest of the state has a bunch of yokels in Congress just trying to stay elected on the platform of God, Guns, and Unborn babies, sprinkled in some immigrants are bad talk and they keep their seats. Plus I have ZERO faith in the state legislature. This only appeals, again, to select reps from the KC & STL metros, maybe 1-2 from the Springfield area. But I'm guessing there is a large amount of them that think soccer is "un-American" and they don't want a bunch of foreigners visiting MO anyway.

So any infrastructure, big projects, etc. for World Cup are going to have to be done almost exclusively by the political and business leaders from the KC Metro. I guess we'll see what they are made of
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:01 pm It would be nice for Federal and state help to get this done. I could see KC leadership pushing for this and doing whatever possible to get it done. I can see Cleaver & Blunt helping, maybe a few big picture Congressmen from STL area but otherwise that is it.

Hawley is not going to do a damn thing, and honestly I wouldn't want his stupid ass anywhere near KC and the wins we have had. Rest of the state has a bunch of yokels in Congress just trying to stay elected on the platform of God, Guns, and Unborn babies, sprinkled in some immigrants are bad talk and they keep their seats. Plus I have ZERO faith in the state legislature. This only appeals, again, to select reps from the KC & STL metros, maybe 1-2 from the Springfield area. But I'm guessing there is a large amount of them that think soccer is "un-American" and they don't want a bunch of foreigners visiting MO anyway.

So any infrastructure, big projects, etc. for World Cup are going to have to be done almost exclusively by the political and business leaders from the KC Metro. I guess we'll see what they are made of
Wow. That’s an extreme take and a blunt insult towards half this states people. Especially the idea there are god loving, gun toting pro life hillbillies running around hating the idea of foreign visitors coming into the state for soccer. Clear you’ve been in the city too long.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

It's a take sir, and one that may be extreme but draws out the attention of just how choked off this state is from the forward looking agendas, development and growth of it's major metro areas. I never used the word "hill billy", you did. I just mentioned that outside of the STL & KC metros the rest of the state does not care or perhaps more accurately does not align itself with what is important to those communities.

Are there people who care, sure, and my comments were intentionally made to be bombastic to garner attention. But it still does not detract from the point that anything that the KC area is going to do from an infrastructure & development standpoint to prepare for the World Cup and or use the World Cup as a catalyst to drive projects will come from KC political and business leaders, and some in the STL area as well. We as citizens of the KC metro have seen the indifference out State Legislature has given to the Metro. They are concerned with their base, which is not the urban areas. IS their support within those areas, yes, but it's certainly not their focus. My point is we are going to have to do this in spite of State & some Federal leaders.

Now we they tout the progress and development and good things that will happen? Absolutely, that's what all politicians do.

Also I have been out of the city plenty my friend, visited the rural areas of MO and less urban cities and towns. If you are not aware of this mentality and undercurrent of views I'm not sure what to tell you. If you are arguing from the point of absolutes, then yes you are correct, every situation will have outliers and things contradictory.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

There are plenty of examples of the state government tanking forward thinking ideas. Just off the top of my head there's the Rock Island trail that had secured $70 million in federal funding and the UMKC's Conservatory downtown.

That said I'm still optimistic about this and think it can happen by 2026. But it does feel like KCMO often has to fight the state to make things happen
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

freedog wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:52 am There are plenty of examples of the state government tanking forward thinking ideas. Just off the top of my head there's the Rock Island trail that had secured $70 million in federal funding and the UMKC's Conservatory downtown.

That said I'm still optimistic about this and think it can happen by 2026. But it does feel like KCMO often has to fight the state to make things happen
Parson is really being discounted here on the board. He seems to have been a fine governor when it comes to projects. He publicly fought to get the new bridge done. He also seemingly fought hard to get the World Cup here along with his LG.

So I think Parson & LG are smart enough to realize this the biggest opportunity Missouri is gonna get, so they’ll prob not stand in the way this time of help.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:36 pm
freedog wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:52 am There are plenty of examples of the state government tanking forward thinking ideas. Just off the top of my head there's the Rock Island trail that had secured $70 million in federal funding and the UMKC's Conservatory downtown.

Parson is really being discounted here on the board. He seems to have been a fine governor when it comes to projects. He publicly fought to get the new bridge done. He also seemingly fought hard to get the World Cup here along with his LG.

So I think Parson & LG are smart enough to realize this the biggest opportunity Missouri is gonna get, so they’ll prob not stand in the way this time of help.
I don’t think Parsons is the problem. Let’s use Rock Island as an example. That was one of his pet projects and priorities for this past legislative session. Still didn’t happen.

Even if he isn’t standing in the way, others may. In this case, it seems like the LG is committed to making 2026 a success. Which is good. We need all the support we can get
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Brian Platt yesterday gave an update on KCUR:
-We are down to 8-12ish months left of design/approvals now
-He says city might put $$ into the project at some point, and they're working with state/Fed right now to secure the funds
-He says they're looking to get shovels in the ground by next year

This lines up with what DCole said they expect to have it done by summer 2026

https://www.kcur.org/podcast/up-to-date ... t-and-more
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

A 2026 opening would def be possible with a 2023 groundbreaking.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:39 am It's a take sir, and one that may be extreme but draws out the attention of just how choked off this state is from the forward looking agendas, development and growth of it's major metro areas. I never used the word "hill billy", you did. I just mentioned that outside of the STL & KC metros the rest of the state does not care or perhaps more accurately does not align itself with what is important to those communities.

Are there people who care, sure, and my comments were intentionally made to be bombastic to garner attention. But it still does not detract from the point that anything that the KC area is going to do from an infrastructure & development standpoint to prepare for the World Cup and or use the World Cup as a catalyst to drive projects will come from KC political and business leaders, and some in the STL area as well. We as citizens of the KC metro have seen the indifference out State Legislature has given to the Metro. They are concerned with their base, which is not the urban areas. IS their support within those areas, yes, but it's certainly not their focus. My point is we are going to have to do this in spite of State & some Federal leaders.

Now we they tout the progress and development and good things that will happen? Absolutely, that's what all politicians do.

Also I have been out of the city plenty my friend, visited the rural areas of MO and less urban cities and towns. If you are not aware of this mentality and undercurrent of views I'm not sure what to tell you. If you are arguing from the point of absolutes, then yes you are correct, every situation will have outliers and things contradictory.
Understood. I can’t speak in absolutes but I’m from those people you mention and they are very excited I was part of the bid process and will now be a part of the FIFA KC team. They understand how cool it is that the World Cup is coming to missouri. Granted that’s just my small sample size of friends and family who are all rural citizens.