Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
bricknose
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by bricknose »

Damn, does this put the cap in jeopardy, regardless of timelines? I’m guessing the downtown ballpark being approved by the vote would help solidify funding, but if that falls through as well, then what?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

It’s incredible how this thing seems to be close to breaking ground every 6 months or so and then goes completely silent again
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Name it Hawley Park and it gets done tomorrow.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Said all along this has no chance of opening prior to the world cup. They might start construction before the WC if they are lucky.

How does MO have the money to widen I-70 across the entire state when most of it doesn't need it? I-70 only needs to be six lanes to Odessa for example. Widening it from Odessa to Colombia is not needed especially when you have major needs in the KC area. Should take that money to rebuild and cap the loop and rebuild I-70 from Downtown to 470.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

My favorite part is the fact that the “Reconnecting communities” program is being used to fucking widen highways elsewhere…
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

GRID wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:07 pm Said all along this has no chance of opening prior to the world cup. They might start construction before the WC if they are lucky.

How does MO have the money to widen I-70 across the entire state when most of it doesn't need it? I-70 only needs to be six lanes to Odessa for example. Widening it from Odessa to Colombia is not needed especially when you have major needs in the KC area. Should take that money to rebuild and cap the loop and rebuild I-70 from Downtown to 470.
It absolutely should NOT be widened to Odessa, that's just going to encourage more exurban sprawl.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The lid has two major issues:

1. No one has addressed the EIS comments.
2. No one (with the capacity as judged by the feds) has stepped up to build/maintain the project.

Until these are addressed, nothing happens... especially the eastern expansion proposed by the team.

As for WC, this isn't even the focus area for FIFA. That would be Union Station and Arrowhead.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dnweava wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:53 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:07 pm Said all along this has no chance of opening prior to the world cup. They might start construction before the WC if they are lucky.

It absolutely should NOT be widened to Odessa, that's just going to encourage more exurban sprawl.
No, it's just for safely reasons. I-70 through there is not congested, so adding a lane is not going to encourage sprawl. The on and off rams are not safe the way it is now. They haven't been for a very long time.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Break ground by end of year starting with western blocks. 1/2 funded for the entire project, all blocks, secured. This has been slowed by MODOT and Feds.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Finally some news rolling the last couple days
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:57 pm The lid has two major issues:

1. No one has addressed the EIS comments.
2. No one (with the capacity as judged by the feds) has stepped up to build/maintain the project.

Until these are addressed, nothing happens... especially the eastern expansion proposed by the team.

As for WC, this isn't even the focus area for FIFA. That would be Union Station and Arrowhead.
So what will it take to get MoDOT to fund an EIS? (As an aside, this shouldn't require a super involved EIS to the same degree that a new freeway or bridge would. A stormwater management study, sure. But it's already all concrete. Looking for endangered species seems like a waste of time.)
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:24 am Break ground by end of year starting with western blocks. 1/2 funded for the entire project, all blocks, secured. This has been slowed by MODOT and Feds.
Where are you seeing this?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:34 am
langosta wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:24 am Break ground by end of year starting with western blocks. 1/2 funded for the entire project, all blocks, secured. This has been slowed by MODOT and Feds.
from the city manager radio interview
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:48 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:34 am
from the city manager radio interview
Very nice.