Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by WoodDraw »

I think the money is coming from their various foundations, both corporate and private.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

also in the Biz Journal article it said project had shrunk to 4.6 acres, instead of original proposed 5.5. Curious what the means? My guess is we will not be building anything the goes up in elevation as you move toward Wyandotte. Not sure but that would be a shame
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:14 pm also in the Biz Journal article it said project had shrunk to 4.6 acres, instead of original proposed 5.5. Curious what the means? My guess is we will not be building anything the goes up in elevation as you move toward Wyandotte. Not sure but that would be a shame
Would love to get some clarity on that. Years ago it was supposed to extend further east but surely that isn't what they're referencing in the latest article?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Wouldn't think Loew's would pitch in at all if the portion immediately next to them is not to be covered. Also may be confusing what H R Block does with what members of the Bloch family do. Shrinking acreage probably means Grand as the eastern border.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I was under the impression that it would be from Grand to Wyandotte, with ideas to have it start further East but those were more "pie in the sky" ideas than the true scope. Hoping the Grand to Wyandotte is still the plan.

Also I know Bloch & Block are different but Was also thinking that Bloch has parent companies they had setup for development, like with the Strata deal that is now dead (or is super sub-space hibernation)
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:43 pm I was under the impression that it would be from Grand to Wyandotte, with ideas to have it start further East but those were more "pie in the sky" ideas than the true scope. Hoping the Grand to Wyandotte is still the plan.

Also I know Bloch & Block are different but Was also thinking that Bloch has parent companies they had setup for development, like with the Strata deal that is now dead (or is super sub-space hibernation)
There are 3 big blocks in KC and none are the same.

HR Block

Block & Co.

BRES
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

smh wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:33 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:14 pm also in the Biz Journal article it said project had shrunk to 4.6 acres, instead of original proposed 5.5. Curious what the means? My guess is we will not be building anything the goes up in elevation as you move toward Wyandotte. Not sure but that would be a shame
Would love to get some clarity on that. Years ago it was supposed to extend further east but surely that isn't what they're referencing in the latest article?
The photos tweeted by KCMO also seem to be conflicting as one has an overlay that goes from Wyandotte-Grand and the next photo uses arrows that points towards Baltimore-Grand
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The project now is projected at 4.6 acres, down from 5.5 acres, based on preliminary design and engineering for the park space, separate from the streets passing through. Officials aim to create a final design for the park in the first quarter of 2024, start construction shortly after and open the space by the end of first quarter 2026, before the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
They're hustling. That's awesome that it's expected before summer 2026.

I wonder if them shrinking the park acreage has more to do with them widening the sidewalks on the edges instead of the grass. They said in the beginning of the artcle that it's still going 4 blocks:
to help cap at least four blocks of I-670 with green space at the dividing line

The huge thing about Block donating $10 mil is that it'll help get the others to come over the fence and donate too
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Also worth noting they said that with the environmental reviews, and other things, being completed that they feel they'll have a much more successful shot at the mega-grant this time around
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Found the answer. It’s still the same 4 blocks, the engineers just clarified it a bit.
https://twitter.com/cityscenekc/status/ ... koITjUnx5A
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:03 pm
Found the answer. It’s still the same 4 blocks, the engineers just clarified it a bit.
https://twitter.com/cityscenekc/status/ ... koITjUnx5A
also from CM BDP:
Interesting design element here is that the park will be constructed in four separate sections while leaving the current street bridges intact that currently exist over the highway there already.

https://twitter.com/briandavidplatt/s ... TZ28dCR6wA
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Walnut survives then
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:13 pm Walnut survives then
I don't think that's what that statement means.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I maintain that one potential feature of this park that could really make it standout as compared to other downtown parks (particularly highway cap parks) is to have a grass hill connecting Wyandotte down to Baltimore. This could serve as a really unique space in a downtown context for folks to just hangout. A spot in the summer for people to sit with a blanket in the sun, a spot in winter for sledding (though to make sure you stop before Baltimore!), a place for kids to run up a hill and roll back down, a place for an audience to sit and watch a movie or musical performance.

It could be very special and a key landmark for the future of the city and downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Agreed. Expecting a lot from that section
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

smh wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:55 am I maintain that one potential feature of this park that could really make it standout as compared to other downtown parks (particularly highway cap parks) is to have a grass hill connecting Wyandotte down to Baltimore. This could serve as a really unique space in a downtown context for folks to just hangout. A spot in the summer for people to sit with a blanket in the sun, a spot in winter for sledding (though to make sure you stop before Baltimore!), a place for kids to run up a hill and roll back down, a place for an audience to sit and watch a movie or musical performance.

It could be very special and a key landmark for the future of the city and downtown.
Especially considering how broken up the park will be with roads cutting through it. The key to making that park successful and a destination is doing something amazing with that elevation change east of Wyandotte.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kyle Warren is broken up exactly as this park is proposed fyi.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Yeah, but Kyle Warren is an actual tunnel with ventilation fans etc. The streets crossing it are seamless. I thought the KC deck was basically going to work around the existing bridges and not be an actual tunnel meaning there will be gaps to provide ventilation. Maybe I'm wrong on that.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:25 pm Yeah, but Kyle Warren is an actual tunnel with ventilation fans etc. The streets crossing it are seamless. I thought the KC deck was basically going to work around the existing bridges and not be an actual tunnel meaning there will be gaps to provide ventilation. Maybe I'm wrong on that.
IIRc, the strategy was minimize length + have some air vents.

Something like the Kauffman Garage could work
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

langosta wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:00 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:25 pm Yeah, but Kyle Warren is an actual tunnel with ventilation fans etc. The streets crossing it are seamless. I thought the KC deck was basically going to work around the existing bridges and not be an actual tunnel meaning there will be gaps to provide ventilation. Maybe I'm wrong on that.
IIRc, the strategy was minimize length + have some air vents.

Something like the Kauffman Garage could work
Kauffman Garage doesn't have the amount of traffic/noise/emissions that 670 will have.

Happy this is getting built and understand a full tunnel may not be feasible due to cost. Just wish this could have been an actual tunnel