Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:51 pm Truman park is the only good name so far.
I actually agree this is the best name idea I've heard for it as well.

I also think moderne hit the nail on the head with the idea that we need to brand this place. I like calling it a 'mall'. It differentiates it. When a visitor comes to the city they and they see 50 parks, the one that's called "Truman Mall" is gonna stand out more than just 'park'. I think it could enable the cap to become known outside if KC too if the area is successful and we give it a 'Mall' name or something like that.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

Homeless mecca
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Sounds like enough to finish a final design.

The people pulling the strings will probably copy whatever Dallas is doing -- name, programming, etc.

Thus, it will be named after its biggest private benefactor.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Kansas City is full of creative people. I'd hate to see the city just copy Dallas or anyplace else.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Another possible person to honor in naming this park is composer John Kander, who was born in--and grew up in--Kansas City. He is a winner of three Tony awards, two Emmy awards, two grammy awards, a Kennedy Center honor for lifetime achievement as well as numerous other awards and nominations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kander
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

As an aside, two other composers born in KC: Virgil Thompson, a not-too-well known "classical" composer, and Burt Bacharach.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

FangKC wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:17 am Another possible person to honor in naming this park is composer John Kander, who was born in--and grew up in--Kansas City. He is a winner of three Tony awards, two Emmy awards, two grammy awards, a Kennedy Center honor for lifetime achievement as well as numerous other awards and nominations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kander
He wrote New York, New York! That's one of my favorite Scorsese films, pretty bad ass he's from KC.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I think naming after private donors is likely.

Tisch Park for Loews donation or Cordish for the Cordish donation. Local money doesn’t seem to be interested in investing yet.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I don't think anything should be named for people not at least born in or have lived in Kansas City. Loews and Cordish are benefitting from the cap by increasing the value of their real estate properties. Federal, city and state taxpayers will most likely pay for the majority of the cost.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:35 pm I think naming after private donors is likely.

Tisch Park for Loews donation or Cordish for the Cordish donation. Local money doesn’t seem to be interested in investing yet.
I'll take the field vs. it being named either of these.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

FangKC wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:55 pm I don't think anything should be named for people not at least born in or have lived in Kansas City. Loews and Cordish are benefitting from the cap by increasing the value of their real estate properties. Federal, city and state taxpayers will most likely pay for the majority of the cost.
Yeah. It's just sleazy to name the park after a donor who doesn't live here and is only donating because they know they're going to make a boat-load of profit.

The only good faith argument for Cordish Park/Mall is that they started this whole thing downtown when nobody else would in the dark ages. That, I do appreciate.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'll mostly stay out of this non-fight because it's meaningless. There are two options: name it after someone that pays money or name it after someone historically important. Cordish is squarely in the former lol

So far I like Truman the best unless a corporation dumps some money on the park, quite literally.

I think politicians should be dead or let their legacies brew for a little bit at least.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Would this park be happening without the private donors who pledged early on, funded studies,pitched it, etc?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Having public space be branded is a bad idea
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

People started raising money and building the WWI Memorial before the war was even over. They knew it was honorable and right to recognize those who lost their lives and remember them. This foresight is why we have the National WWI Museum. I'd like to see us honor those lost again with some tribute to those who lost their lives or loved ones to the pandemic. I'd like to see us do something in this new park as a memorial, perhaps the stepped area next to the convention center could have a reflection emphasis with names or a memorial. Naming the park for this might be too much (First Responders Park?) but a place of remembrance would be nice. It'd sure be better than naming it after some self-serving politician or someone throwing their money around to buy a honor.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:43 pm Would this park be happening without the private donors who pledged early on, funded studies,pitched it, etc?
Has anyone announced funding other than the government?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:42 am
normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:43 pm Would this park be happening without the private donors who pledged early on, funded studies,pitched it, etc?
Loews verbally committed $5 million. I think the Merrimans & Cordish have also said they will donate. There are others who have indicated they would support but not publicly yet. I'm not sure why, maybe waiting to for the expected Federal money to be locked in?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:50 am
WoodDraw wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:42 am
Loews verbally committed $5 million. I think the Merrimans & Cordish have also said they will donate. There are others who have indicated they would support but not publicly yet. I'm not sure why, maybe waiting to for the expected Federal money to be locked in?
and they Committed before federal funding

I am not really tied to a donor name but its much the same as a politician's
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

What I'm saying is if it's corporate it should be a naming rights arrangement. I have no problem with corporations paying to promote their brands.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:37 am I'd like to see us do something in this new park as a memorial, perhaps the stepped area next to the convention center
This is really all I care about too. This park is such a no-brainer to put up a giant piece of art or fountain, etc. that I'm amazed it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Also would like to see many many trees at this park.