Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:27 pm I'm surprised everyone is so happy about protecting the street grid. I know cars always win in KC, but this isn't super exciting to me.
May as well close Grand. Every time I'm in KC it's closed for no reason lol. It's kind of weird. Main street in the middle of a major city just closed with no cars or people around. Very odd.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

GRID wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:28 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:27 pm I'm surprised everyone is so happy about protecting the street grid. I know cars always win in KC, but this isn't super exciting to me.
May as well close Grand. Every time I'm in KC it's closed for no reason lol. It's kind of weird. Main street in the middle of a major city just closed with no cars or people around. Very odd.
It's criminal.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

im2kull wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:33 pm
It's criminal.
I mean isn't Grand a major city bus route? That has to make catching a bus downtown a real PITA.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

GRID wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:38 pm
im2kull wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:33 pm

It's criminal.
I mean isn't Grand a major city bus route? That has to make catching a bus downtown a real PITA.
It is. It makes any commuting a real PITA.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Seriously, sigh. I give up.

It's the consultification and hold studies until all the neighbors get anything interesting removed. Everything new is old again. Whatever.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:04 am

It's the consultification and hold studies until all the neighbors get anything interesting removed. Everything new is old again. Whatever.
I'm not saying I disagree with you on closing some of the streets. I was only saying Grand seems to be closed all the time anyway.

They need to stop closing Grand though if they do want to close some of the other north/south streets across 670.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

GRID wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:08 am

I'm not saying I disagree with you on closing some of the streets. I was only saying Grand seems to be closed all the time anyway.

They need to stop closing Grand though if they do want to close some of the other north/south streets across 670.
My sigh wasn't directed at you. I agree with you. On grand and the rest.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:19 am

Gotcha, I guess your post was full of general frustration with the Grand closings haha.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

GRID wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:26 am
WoodDraw wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:19 am

Gotcha, I guess your post was full of general frustration with the Grand closings haha.
That grand is just randomly closed at any time and no one really seems to know why or if there are rules. Or cares.

But we try to create a park and hntb is like after a million dollar study and multiple hearings, we've decided nothing should change. And everyone is like oh, hmm, that makes sense.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I can't believe they are fighting this hard to keep Baltimore open. That street hardly gets any traffic. But I guess it's more important to please the 5 cars a day that pass through Baltimore than having an just *one* uninterrupted section of the park by cars.

The park was good. It won't even be a park if the entire thing becomes a street grid.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

so much pessimism around this and what could be cool. I'm just done with it. KC has been burned so many times, makes folks on boards like this just feel likes it's another "pissing in the wind" type project. I hope it works out and I think the idea/concept is solid. I'm all for every ounce development we can invest into downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't see much problem closing Baltimore. Any fear I've voiced of closing any street has zero to do with any car first mentally. It has everything to do with protecting streetcar headways and the already all too often closing of grand which basically takes it out of any traffic flow, which will become a bigger thing once royals are downtown
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Wow I'm shocked at the negativity here. This seems like the one project that KC/MO really seems to be moving on and putting $$$ towards in a way that will happen in the next 5 years
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:56 am I don't see much problem closing Baltimore. Any fear I've voiced of closing any street has zero to do with any car first mentally. It has everything to do with protecting streetcar headways and the already all too often closing of grand which basically takes it out of any traffic flow, which will become a bigger thing once royals are downtown
Agreed. I think the cities stance was to see a traffic study first. The random Grand closures and a few T-Mobile events need to be included in that to be worth anything. The Royals stadium has me slightly less concerned since I recall Sherman saying if they were to do EV, then the freeway access on the east loop would need to be reexamined.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:28 pm Wow I'm shocked at the negativity here. This seems like the one project that KC/MO really seems to be moving on and putting $$$ towards in a way that will happen in the next 5 years
Agreed, but this seems to happen with every project. Everyone wants it and then when it gets going people sour on it and say “wasted opportunity” or something.

Obviously, even if they don’t close any roads, this will be massively better than the current state. Still very exciting so I don’t get it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KC_Ari wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:47 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:56 am I don't see much problem closing Baltimore. Any fear I've voiced of closing any street has zero to do with any car first mentally. It has everything to do with protecting streetcar headways and the already all too often closing of grand which basically takes it out of any traffic flow, which will become a bigger thing once royals are downtown
Agreed. I think the cities stance was to see a traffic study first. The random Grand closures and a few T-Mobile events need to be included in that to be worth anything. The Royals stadium has me slightly less concerned since I recall Sherman saying if they were to do EV, then the freeway access on the east loop would need to be reexamined.
Right but the oak and pnl garages will be used too which would put traffic on grand I'm guessing.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:13 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:28 pm Wow I'm shocked at the negativity here. This seems like the one project that KC/MO really seems to be moving on and putting $$$ towards in a way that will happen in the next 5 years
Agreed, but this seems to happen with every project. Everyone wants it and then when it gets going people sour on it and say “wasted opportunity” or something.

Obviously, even if they don’t close any roads, this will be massively better than the current state. Still very exciting so I don’t get it.
Maybe you both know something I don’t, but I don’t remember anyone writing a check or even a grand announcement from the city that this was a go. We’ve had some groups submit some proposals, but that means nothing. What did I miss that makes you both so confident in what this park will be besides someone with a planning program staying late at work killing time because they hate their home life?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

And the not-often-discussed potential for private sector abuse of this new space. It will be managed by a private nonprofit, with heavy control by Cordish/Loews. What could go wrong? (See also the park atop Cosentino's garage)

I personally think it should be managed by private nonprofit given the location (too many issues to expect KCMO Parks to keep control), that sentiment just doesn't extend to the streets. (See also Westport sidewalks)
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The streetcar headways are bs though. I take it every day and the lights never work. It's always stops at a red light for no one to cross. It then gets a green light and immediately stops to pick up passengers, backing up the street behind it. It has beg lights the entire way. The design is terrible.

You can also design to lead traffic away from main, something we should be doing already.

Is this how we design?

Sometimes when you design new things you have to change things. Like let's challenge our thinking of what the city should be.
Last edited by WoodDraw on Fri May 26, 2023 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:27 pm
KC_Ari wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:47 pm
Right but the oak and pnl garages will be used too which would put traffic on grand I'm guessing.
So Truman changes plus stop closing grand.