Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by DColeKC »

SiouxCity KCMO Man wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:31 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:51 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:49 pm

Let's just do the North Loop same time!
Person very involved told me they're considering doing the full 7 blocks which would be great! I'm sure that could mean they're having that part quoted out as a additional option. Not my money, but let's do it all now.
Stuff like this gets only one chance. Get it all done one time or it probably will be decades before it could even be finished. Use FIFA to make this the signature downtown park piece before 2026.
Agreed.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

They are seeking a $60 mil mega-grant for this, announcement would come out in December.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

UMKC Roo wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:30 pm They are seeking a $60 mil mega-grant for this, announcement would come out in December.
https://www.transportation.gov/grants/m ... nt-program
cityscenekc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cityscenekc »

TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Contingent on a stadium design that fits the mold of the district, I can't pass up the option of the Royals playing in the Crossroads if the Royals are willing to pay to fill out the rest of the South Loop Cap a full 7 blocks. It's just too good.

If we did that, and moved the Chiefs in to the East Village, I think it would make the most sense. The dumpy streetscape of the EV would become not anything to worry about if it's just the Chiefs, because that stuff doesn't matter with football. And we'd get an amazing skyline view behind the Chiefs.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:27 am Contingent on a stadium design that fits the mold of the district, I can't pass up the option of the Royals playing in the Crossroads if the Royals are willing to pay to fill out the rest of the South Loop Cap a full 7 blocks. It's just too good.

If we did that, and moved the Chiefs in to the East Village, I think it would make the most sense. The dumpy streetscape of the EV would become not anything to worry about if it's just the Chiefs, because that stuff doesn't matter with football. And we'd get an amazing skyline view behind the Chiefs.
If they can develop the EV/Ballpark so that the seven blocks is heavily funded by the private sector, then yes by all means let's do it. So much surface parking!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Capping one more block isn't going to make that park much better.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

maybe could talk me into it if it's the difference between the rolls royce of highway caps with zero gaps and heavily mitigated road noise for the entire length or--even better--the demolition of the highway itself through there. but we all know that's not what's happening. so meh. extra platform over a gap? no, i'd rather hold out for something in the crossroads that will get more than 81 day/ year activation, because i think that's coming in my lifetime. i can't say that for EV. take your rich guy money (and i assume some of mine) and go make your own development momentum in the EV.

also... i haven't been around much lately..... but this new kangaroo character sure reminds me of someone from a few months ago
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Lol there might be a similarity or two.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Sounds like the spending bill Congress just past has $28 million in it earmarked for this project
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Source or details?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Don’t worry, there’s only 4,000 pages to flip through to find it
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:53 pm Don’t worry, there’s only 4,000 pages to flip through to find it
Members of congress didn't read it either.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Hence my confusion on where it was heard from lol

I did see this morning that $15 bil or 7500 projects were earmarked from this bill, so the source is probably right.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Confirmed!! $28.6 mil for the South Loop Link project in the budget!

Page 30 here: https://www.appropriations.senate.gov/i ... 221216.pdf
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Please don't call it Cleaver Park...Please don't call it Cleaver park....Please don't call it Cleaver Park....
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:55 pm Please don't call it Cleaver Park...Please don't call it Cleaver park....Please don't call it Cleaver Park....
Haha you’ll likely get your wish

Sen Blunt wants it named after him
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:01 pm
Haha you’ll likely get your wish

Sen Blunt wants it named after him
The ego with these people! Why do they get their name on something just because they got the money for it. That's their actual job!
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

In fairness to Blunt, he's a lame duck who's job quite literally ends for good next week, and technically he didn't *have* to do anything. So the fact he did do something on his way out when he didn't have to is notable.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:13 pm In fairness to Blunt, he's a lame duck who's job quite literally ends for good next week, and technically he didn't *have* to do anything. So the fact he did do something on his way out when he didn't have to is notable.
Not really. Just because he's leaving doesn't mean he shouldn't do what's best for his constituents. And if politicians are only doing what's best for their area because it gets their name on it, that's pretty lame. Honestly, politicians shouldn't be able to get their own name on anything. If they've left a legacy that is strong enough, future representatives could recognize that with subsequent honors.