Any hope for future KC LRT?

Transportation topics in KC
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Any hope for future KC LRT?

Post by hartliss »

Does anyone think this area will ever see some type of light rail system put into use? I just think if we could pull it off then we could easily step up in the ranks of world class cities. What about using commuter rail on existing tracks, having a hub at Union stationn and then build new lines from there. I know Amtrak runs through LS, why not develop some type of commuter rail there and on other existing rail lines. I know it sounds like a bolsterous proposal but is any of this possible? Imagine getting off a flight at MCI and taking the light rail to Union Station only to connect to another line to your condo right next to the Sprint Arena. Imagine the possibilities.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Will KC ever see light rail?

Post by tat2kc »

eventually we will have light rail, but only after the roads become almost gridlocked. Most cities don't take a proactive stance on issues like this. Plus, good ole Clay Chastain's wacky proposals and oddball behavior put so many people off, that they tend to associate the two with each other.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I don't see it happening here anytime soon -- if ever. It would take a lot more pain (i.e., gas prices stuck above $3 gallon, constant congestion throught the metro rather than just parts of 435, 70, etc.) to get enough voters and legislators to pass it.

There's also the issue of getting stops next to major employers, let alone smaller ones. For example, unless there's a stop within walking distance of the Sprint or Cerner campuses, how many workers will be willing to take a bus to and from the stop?

Lots of hurdles to overcome.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

So in like 50+ years, if growth patterns hold true and we max out our 500 billion miles of freeways. I just feel like to put the final touches on to becoming a more urban city, you have to have some type of effective mass transit system. I think the BRT is a great idea especially with the entertainment district going up. I sure would be nice to do even something like Jacksonville has done. Plain and simple light rail. Or what about Salt Lake City they have a nice little rail system.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

preaching to the chior here, harltiss!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Wishful thinking I guess. It is just cool to imagine the possibilities. What about that commuter rail in JoCo, what is the latest on that?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I don't support light rail. I support real BRT...but since they can't do that right maybe now is the time to get light rail going.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that KC will have a light-rail system from Downtown (Union Station) to Blue Springs along I-70, from Downtown (Union Station) to Olathe along I-35, and a line from Bannister Road to KCI Airport (goin' through Brookside, Plaza, Westport, CC, Downtown, City Market). This will be done through a Bi-State tax in 2010 and will be completed by 2014.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

If a pro team ends up at a downtown arena, and if the Royals would move downtown, I think you'd see the demand increase for public transit.

As parking lots get replaced with more development in the urban core, and as more and more people start heading for that area, people will start wanting an alternative to the hassle of parking. Right now it's just too easy.

Rapid transit for commuters from the suburbs to work is not needed at this point...at least not in the eyes of most suburbanites.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Being that KC is the second largest rail center in the US, commuter rail on existing freight lines from the burbs to Union Station is likely some day. Buying time on the busy freight rails is the challenge.

There is already a line from Olathe to Union Station in the works. And another from Lee's Summit/Independence to Union Station (same as Amtrak line). To the airport, it's possible a line could go along existing freight rail along the MO river and then build a branch extension from the River to KCI.

BRT will work OK me thinks from the Market to Plaza. Light rail along that path would have to be built on existing roads so BRT seems more cost effective and able to transport people just as effectively. If there could be a Market->Plaza line on a dedicated path mostly off roads, it would make more sense to build LRT.

I'd personally rather see 6 BRT lines down State Line, SW Trafficway, Broadway, Main, Gilham and Troost than one single LRT line. The 6 lines could be done for about the same cost as (or less than) one LRT line.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Oh jeez... Yet Another Rail Thread!

If you want better transit, please contact your city and county reps and ask them to push for Smart Moves... http://www.marc.org/kcsmartmoves/

Here's the dealio.. Commuter rail in Joco is on hold. They freaked out when they got the cost estimates, so now they are studying bus rapid transit for I-35. MARC (the Mid America Regional Council) currently has a study underway for commuter rail on I-70, all the way out to Odessa in Lafayette County. A line to Lee's Summit, Pleasant Hill, and Warrensburg is considered the second phase. At this time they have ruled out any commuter rail to the Northland.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

ignatius wrote:Being that KC is the second largest rail center in the US, commuter rail on existing freight lines from the burbs to Union Station is likely some day. Buying time on the busy freight rails is the challenge.
Right. It helps and hurts: A lot of the infrastructure is already there, but it's heavily used, so adding commuter or light rail probably is difficult and/or expensive.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I don't think rail will be built or catch on, without some density, and I think it would be silly to start spending money on a rail system, when people don't even use the bus system we currently have.

But, we need density, on the order of tens of thousands of people per square mile, in the urban core. It isn't anywhere near that, right now.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

bahua wrote:I don't think rail will be built or catch on, without some density, and I think it would be silly to start spending money on a rail system, when people don't even use the bus system we currently have.
Light-rail is "Hip", the bus is "Ghetto!"
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Bull. People here would take the bus, like they do in other cities, if it was a pain in the ass to drive. Unfortunately, all development here occurs with accomodating drivers in mind. As long as that mindset stays in our developers' plans, KC will stay a "car town," with bad services, bad pollution, and expensive, spread-out infrastructure.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Interesting...Cleaver would try to bring light rail to KC...

===============================================
Cleaver promises to push for light rail
Candidate derided concept while serving as mayor

By STEVE KRASKE The Kansas City Star

“It has to have some value to the taxpayers in this community.â€
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

knowiong cleaver it would be a lrt system with a line down the paseo and troost--only.

what we need is the exact plan he dubbed "touristy frou frou" as a starter spine and build off that
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Back when Cleaver made that remark I actually agreed with him. But today if there were a light rail line connecting the River Market to the Plaza with stops at all the key areas in-between, I'd use that sucker constantly. As a friend mentioned the other night when talking about this same topic, "Imagine being able to go around to all your favorite bars and not have to worry about driving home." :)
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

But in order to be using in now, it would have needed Cleaver's support then. It seems like a real lack of foresight, in my humble opinion.
troostwood
Pad site
Pad site

light rail gaining as a political commodity

Post by troostwood »

At a forum Wednesday night, every candidate except for Patterson and the nutty libertarian expressed support for light rail. Cleaver reasserted his support for it, and Metzl said he would approach progress toward it.

Cleaver actually said that he has spoken with a U.S. Senator (Kit Bond?) who told him that once K.C. presents a plan (and has a regional tax authority), the federal money to make it happen would be delivered at the door step.