P&L District: 13th & Walnut Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Re: P&L District: 13th & Walnut Site Proposal

Post by wahoowa »

searching cordish on the kc downtown streetcar thread brings up some stuff.:
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:08 pm I was wondering when this would happen...

@bradc25: Power & Light District and Sprint Center officials have isssues with running KC streetcar on Grand and

@bradc25: P&L District says routing streetcar on Grand, Main or Walnut would be "disastrous." City says streetcars will have positive impact.

Ridiculous.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

wahoowa wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:44 pm searching cordish on the kc downtown streetcar thread brings up some stuff.:
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:08 pm I was wondering when this would happen...

@bradc25: Power & Light District and Sprint Center officials have isssues with running KC streetcar on Grand and

@bradc25: P&L District says routing streetcar on Grand, Main or Walnut would be "disastrous." City says streetcars will have positive impact.

Ridiculous.
Very interesting. Not saying Cordish was right, but I personally feel Main worked out better than Grand would have? Saying that as a ten year DT resident.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

wahoowa wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:44 pm searching cordish on the kc downtown streetcar thread brings up some stuff.:

Ridiculous.
And my memory fails me again!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The "Miracle" pop-up-in-a-box corporate cocktail concept is moving to the Live block this season:

https://powerandlightdistrict.com/eat-a ... ower-light
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:25 pm The "Miracle" pop-up-in-a-box corporate cocktail concept is moving to the Live block this season:

Local franchise owners tell me they partnered with PNL on this location and want to expand it each year out into the Live Block.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is Ryan Maybee still involved in miracle?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:14 am Is Ryan Maybee still involved in miracle?
No it’s the owners of County Road Icehouse and Rockhill Grill. I don’t think Ryan’s involved.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I remember he was the first to get involved with bringing miracle to KC. Fun pop up. Glad to see s location staying downtown
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Menu is slim pickings for vegetarians. Appetizers and sides only. Even all the salads have meat.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:52 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:25 pm The "Miracle" pop-up-in-a-box corporate cocktail concept is moving to the Live block this season:

Local franchise owners tell me they partnered with PNL on this location and want to expand it each year out into the Live Block.
looks like it will be in the old Leinenkugel's spot. Nice spot with indoor and outdoor space and spills into the "living room". Would be cool if they could do 2 locations one within there and then in the Old Flying Saucer spot. Do a Naughty & Nice type concept. With the Naughty being more of a fun "Grinch" or "Scrooge" take on Christmas. Play it up that way for some fun. I know those places are wildly popular and I enjoyed going to the Rockhill Grill location when they first came to town. I'd think having 2 would allow for more people and a built in reason for the same people to visit each. Just an idea, as there is space available :)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Official map says KC location TBA: https://www.miraclepopup.com/locations
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:45 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:52 am

looks like it will be in the old Leinenkugel's spot. Nice spot with indoor and outdoor space and spills into the "living room". Would be cool if they could do 2 locations one within there and then in the Old Flying Saucer spot. Do a Naughty & Nice type concept. With the Naughty being more of a fun "Grinch" or "Scrooge" take on Christmas. Play it up that way for some fun. I know those places are wildly popular and I enjoyed going to the Rockhill Grill location when they first came to town. I'd think having 2 would allow for more people and a built in reason for the same people to visit each. Just an idea, as there is space available :)
This is similar to their long term plan but staffing concerns this year forced them to do one location in PNL. Up until 3 weeks ago they were going to use 2 spaces.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:41 pm This is similar to their long term plan but staffing concerns this year forced them to do one location in PNL. Up until 3 weeks ago they were going to use 2 spaces.
Translation-
They don’t want to pay enough to get workers.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:26 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:41 pm This is similar to their long term plan but staffing concerns this year forced them to do one location in PNL. Up until 3 weeks ago they were going to use 2 spaces.
Translation-
If there was a material decline in the workforce size (death, retirement, and a stoppage of immigration), how can you cover all positions
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:37 pm
Translation-
If there was a material decline in the workforce size (death, retirement, and a stoppage of immigration), how can you cover all positions
You’re confusing scales.

No, not everyone can succeed.

If they can’t find enough workers it means workers don’t want to change jobs to work for them at the offered wages. That’s not a good sign for their long term viability in exactly the market you describe.

If they’re unwilling to do what it takes to cover all positions are they really trying?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Translation-
Funny. Not even close though. For a temporary service industry gig it doesn’t get any better. The pay is excellent and it’s the best time of year to make big tips.

The bottom line is between the two of the groups partnering, they didn’t feel confident they could staff two locations downtown. They employ hundreds of people currently at other concepts so I think they’ve got a good handle on staffing challenges. Not surprising you try and play it up to them not wanting to pay enough though.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:12 am
Translation-
Funny. Not even close though. For a temporary service industry gig it doesn’t get any better. The pay is excellent and it’s the best time of year to make big tips.

The bottom line is between the two of the groups partnering, they didn’t feel confident they could staff two locations downtown. They employ hundreds of people currently at other concepts so I think they’ve got a good handle on staffing challenges. Not surprising you try and play it up to them not wanting to pay enough though.
Their Rockhill Grill has only two reviews on glassdoor, but one from early 2021 is telling, given what we know today

"Ownership under the impression that everyone is replaceable. Quality of staff, team atmosphere, and employee appreciation steadily sliding. Soon to be another revolving door restaurant."

You clearly have missed what's happening in the service worker market. If they paid enough they could staff a dozen locations across the city. Nationally more than 892,000 workers in food service and another 721,000 in retail quit in just Aug 2021. That's a full 1% of the job market qutting in one month.
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/jolts.t04.htm

August saw the highest quit rate since they started tracking the statistic in late 2000.
https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2021/quits ... e-high.htm

The service market has 1.7 million openings that the industry can't fill because they're going elsewhere over hours, pay and quality of work

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... rkers.html
With New York’s classic industries suffering mass collapse, the warehouse, called JFK8, absorbed hotel workers, actors, bartenders and dancers, paying nearly $18 an hour. Driven by a new sense of mission to serve customers afraid to shop in person, JFK8 helped Amazon smash shipping records, reach stratospheric sales and book the equivalent of the previous three years’ profits rolled into one.

https://www.vox.com/recode/22748448/ser ... s-benefits
“Hospitality jobs, especially front-line, are notoriously known for low-wage, low-skill kinds of work — it’s associated with working conditions that are not necessarily conducive to adequate life-work balance,” Bruce Tracey, a professor of human resource management at Cornell and editor of Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, told Recode. “So that’s already a stretch to attract people.”

“And then go to the last 18 months and the industry broadly has shown its vulnerability and its fragility,” Tracey said.
For starters, while pay for non-managers in the leisure and hospitality sector rose a dramatic 13 percent in September compared with a year earlier, the average wage is less than $17 an hour, according to the latest BLS wage data. That’s less than even the next lowest-paid sector, retail, which brings in $18.68 per hour. (BLS wage data goes by industry, not occupation.) And a $2 an hour raise also doesn’t mean that much in an industry where many people work part time.

Indeed, weekly pay in the industry averages out to just $416.08, with workers putting in 25 hours a week. In other industries, people are typically able to get more hours and thus bigger paychecks. (On average, for all private sector jobs, people work 34 hours a week.)
The point on hours is very real

Do you really think they're going to hire a bunch of workers to work 40 hours a week if they don't need to?
That means giving benefits because with their "hundreds" of workers they are over the threshold to provide them.

With everyone wanting more hours there will be workers fighting for prime shifts and not everyone will make good tips.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Please stop.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:04 pmPlease stop.
For real. This site is my escape, keep the politics to the political thread and leave the rest of the subs to their subject.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Bringing it back on subject, can anyone describe what this really is? I read the website but I only kind of get it. Is it just a temporary holiday restaurant?

I always wished KC had more of a European style holiday market and popups. Maybe between this and the city market changes, it'll get closer.