P&L District: 13th & Baltimore site proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: P&L District: 13th & Baltimore site proposal

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:18 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:17 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:17 am Garment district closing this weekend.

Real bummer to see cordish completely whiff on delivering clothing retail. Was optimistic.
Garment District isn’t closing.

As for clothing retail, it’s not a Cordish or PNL problem, it’s a nationwide issue. Your Forever 21 type clothing retail stores wouldn’t survive downtown and barely do in malls with high foot traffic. A landlord can go after certain retailers all day, but if those retailers don’t think they can make a profit, it won’t happen. Not sure how this would be a Cordish whiff.
Their Instagram says they were closing today?

If Jos a bank leaves, probably shows rents are too damn high, those places never close in zero foot traffic areas.
It’s a collective and one supplier decided to not renew.

Jos A Bank closed 249 other stores when they closed this one. Rents not any higher than other similar retail locations. Some can be very generous and revenue based actually. The landlord will do about all they can to keep a storefront occupied.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Good to hear they aren't closing yet, definitely wasn't the gram post.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Given the p&l impact in the general fund it is frustrating to see so many empty spots.

Edit. It's equally frustrating to hear neighbors not shop at cosentinos for example because they think milk is a nickel overpriced. We need to support the retail we have.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:04 pm Given the p&l impact in the general fund it is frustrating to see so many empty spots.
Would 6 month pop-up shops allow some rent revenues while keeping spaces relatively open for a longterm tenant if one ever were to want the space?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like that idea. Invite some of the randomly spaced crossroads retailers down to p&l. Tried to shop this weekend in the crossroads and it's annoying for even people like me who know where these retailers are to go visit them all.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:08 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:04 pm Given the p&l impact in the general fund it is frustrating to see so many empty spots.
Would 6 month pop-up shops allow some rent revenues while keeping spaces relatively open for a longterm tenant if one ever were to want the space?
Pop-up shops have been discussed and in some locations, could make sense to keep certain spaces occupied, but not a financial win for anyone involved really. I look for Bar Louie and Famous Dave's to combine into one space for a new operator at some point. That would make for a nice sized restaurant with great proximity to the entertainment area. I pray it's Mexican, but being so close to Chipotle may be an issue?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think a good fun Mexican place and Chipotle are going to steal each other's customers.

Honestly chuys would probably be good in p&l although I dislike that place.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

bigger proximity issue is probably flavortown, no?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

wahoowa wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:22 pm bigger proximity issue is probably flavortown, no?
This is true but an actual, legit sit down style Mexican restaurant might not compete directly with a fast-serve taco/dive type concept. I wouldn't be upset if a local company like Margaritas went in there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ponaks!
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:47 am Jos a bank is not trying.

I think there is still one open at Indian spring mall.

This could have easily been the retail stretch I was talking about in another thread.
Indian Springs, that is a good reference. I'll give you credit for the satire, even if you didn't intend it since Indian Springs is now a literal dust bowl
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No way.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Blade & Timber owner plans new venture for Power & Light District
The owners of Blade & Timber are ready to introduce a new social venture in the Kansas City Power & Light District.

Consider it a new take on a classic: mini golf.
https://tinyurl.com/rm4n4we

Mini-golf bar coming to Kansas City’s Power & Light

That’s right – sink your putts and your drinks (responsibly) along with a full food menu at Sinkers Lounge.

According to a release, Sinkers Lounge is scheduled to open this summer at 53 West 13th Street – next to Blade & Timber axe throwing.

Sinkers Lounge will house nine “leisurely” mini-golf holes, along with “tabletop golf” holes, which a release said is a mashup of mini-golf and shuffleboard.
https://www.kmbc.com/article/mini-golf- ... t/31226321
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i hope one of the holes is like a windmill except you have to putt through part of the axe throwing lanes
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Visit KC is moving out of their Baltimore office space permanently. Employees going remote.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

We might be seeing just tip of iceberg with trend toward more permanent work from home. Not that all companies will dump offices altogether but some small ones might such as this and mid-larger seem to be increasing % of permanent WFH workers even if not more than half. Google just upped their position on WFH.

Good thing downtown KC has more momentum with residential growth, some of whom may be WFH. Might help keep daytime population in check for businesses/restaurants that rely on office workers.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

earthling wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:00 pm We might be seeing just tip of iceberg with trend toward more permanent work from home. Not that all companies will dump offices altogether but some small ones might such as this and mid-larger seem to be increasing % of permanent WFH workers even if not more than half. Google just upped their position on WFH.

Good thing downtown KC has more momentum with residential growth, some of whom may be WFH. Might help keep daytime population in check for businesses/restaurants that rely on office workers.
Definitely something that will have to be addressed. I feel once work from home will grow, but after COVID we will see an increase in shared workspaces or at least smaller floor plans with shared amenities.

Especially the accelerator type developments where they focus on a type of industry to help push innovation. I don’t see all places becoming wfh, but I definitely think commercial landlords will need to rethink their strategies
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:50 pm Visit KC is moving out of their Baltimore office space permanently. Employees going remote.
They’re only going remote temporarily. Visit KC will be moving into new offices still within the power and light district.

Visit KC space too big and too expensive considering the current convention situation.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:19 am
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:50 pm Visit KC is moving out of their Baltimore office space permanently. Employees going remote.
They’re only going remote temporarily. Visit KC will be moving into new offices still within the power and light district.

Visit KC space too big and too expensive considering the current convention situation.
Ahh that makes sense, any inkling as to where it will go? I always thought their space would make a great cafe especially with seating in the little square between main and baltimore.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:19 am

Yes I was told that was possibly part of the plan to use that coworking space for some.

The current convention situation has nothing to do with the size of their space going forward though.