P&L District: 13th & Baltimore site proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: P&L District: 13th & Baltimore site proposal

Post by eliphar17 »

No, as I stated in another thread, the expansion is a separate building on this block, where the TWA Building was. The building won't be built until H&R Block needs it, presumably in a few years.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

eliphar17 wrote: No, as I stated in another thread, the expansion is a separate building on this block, where the TWA Building was. The building won't be built until H&R Block needs it, presumably in a few years.
From everything I've heard, Eliphar is correct.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

eliphar17 wrote: No, as I stated in another thread, the expansion is a separate building on this block, where the TWA Building was. The building won't be built until H&R Block needs it, presumably in a few years.
Block just leased another floor in Town Pavillion.  I would guess they might need the expansion sooner than once thought.  I would defiantely plan on it happening.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

They have dug a little deeper on this site recently.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Forms for some massive columns going in.  Guess they have to be big to support future Block bldg.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

A few pictures from yesterday of this site's progress (which isn't much)

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

They've started working on this block.  I took these last weekend, May 27th.

Is this the start of another of the three garages the city is to build?

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Wow, they really are doing more then just moving around dirt.  :lol:  Good to see some progress since January.  :)
KC is the way to be!
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

It looks like there is going to be a blue tower crane on this block.  A blue tower base is installed on the east side of this block.

KCDowntown
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I would assume that they need to get the parking done on this block for the President.  Right now it is using temp. parking on the west side of the Empire (Mainstreet Theater).  That land will be closed when renovation of the theater starts in earnest. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I wonder if the steakhouse on the corner is still in the works with the revelation there would be an "alleyway" of boutique shops in that area. From the Star rendering, the boutiques would kind of wrap around the President. I hope the boutiques are still planned along Baltimore in addition to this new alleyway area. Regardless, I am happy to hear at least a small part of the project will include actual retail instead of just dining and entertainment.

I hope the boutiques aim at the sophisticated and fashionable urban women demographic. DKNY, Kate Spade, Sephora, Intermix, Club Monaco, etc. are the types of shops that would fit this category.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

trailerkid wrote: I wonder if the steakhouse on the corner is still in the works with the revelation there would be an "alleyway" of boutique shops in that area. From the Star rendering, the boutiques would kind of wrap around the President. I hope the boutiques are still planned along Baltimore in addition to this new alleyway area. Regardless, I am happy to hear at least a small part of the project will include actual retail instead of just dining and entertainment.

I hope the boutiques aim at the sophisticated and fashionable urban women demographic. DKNY, Kate Spade, Sephora, Intermix, Club Monaco, etc. are the types of shops that would fit this category.
Did you see the rendering on the front page of the Star today that showed sign banners for a store named DKKC?  I thought that was interesting...
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

49r wrote: Did you see the rendering on the front page of the Star today that showed sign banners for a store named DKKC?  I thought that was interesting...
Yes...IMO attracting upscale and exciting retail is one of the most important things. It won't be difficult doing the entertainment aspect with the names already attached, but give the market urban retail that would will draw from hours away.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCDowntown wrote: It looks like there is going to be a blue tower crane on this block.  A blue tower base is installed on the east side of this block.

KCDowntown
Why do they need a tower crane for this block?  Parking structure?
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

trailerkid wrote: I wonder if the steakhouse on the corner is still in the works with the revelation there would be an "alleyway" of boutique shops in that area. From the Star rendering, the boutiques would kind of wrap around the President. I hope the boutiques are still planned along Baltimore in addition to this new alleyway area.
I think this is not a solid plan yet, since anything on the west side of Baltimore wouldn't be in the district proper but rather in the P&L Condo building. The developers of that project were not so happy with Cordish for some reason and aren't excited about including ground-level retail. Let me check the appropriate thread...

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/h ... 88#p161888
the original plan of 30k sf. of retail on the west side of Baltimore that was to be leased by Cordish...will not happen.  It will be ground level offices now.

Disappointing to say the least...said the change came at the city's request.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

The rebar on this block is starting to go above street level now.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

You can definately see the outlines of the buildings from above.

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Thanks for the pictures.  I have been wondering what was going on over on the dark side of the P&L District (i.e., outside the vision of the webcam). 

I wonder what the reaction of the unitiated patron of the President Hotel is upon arriving for a stay....the hotel is virtually smack in the middle of a giant construction project.  Too bad the P&L condos aren't going up at the same time. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Highlander wrote: Thanks for the pictures.  I have been wondering what was going on over on the dark side of the P&L District (i.e., outside the vision of the webcam). 

I wonder what the reaction of the unitiated patron of the President Hotel is upon arriving for a stay....the hotel is virtually smack in the middle of a giant construction project.  Too bad the P&L condos aren't going up at the same time. 
as a 3 time patron of the prez, i can tell you this one is EXCITED!!

but i am a kc nut, and the non kc nuts that are the other 99.9999999999999999% of their guests, are not fascinated and excited. in fact, they are quite pissy, saying the city looks like beruit.

i think in about 6-8 months that will change, there will be glass on the arena, structures up, most all streets open, bartle almost complete. time, will cure the negative opinions.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D