www.yourkcarena.com

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by supastudio »

Here is a link for those who want to voice your thoughts and ideas about the Sprint Center.

http://www.yourkcarena.com/
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by Slappy the Wang »

I suggested the roof be painted with a giant clown face as a remembrance of the Mayor who got the job done!
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by eomaha.com »

I'm envisioning some dramatically arching rib work... topped with KC Masterpiece.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by trailerkid »

You can read lots of comments from people on the site...

http://www.yourkcarena.com/comments.htm

Everyone with a cool idea...submit it!
Prudhomme
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by Prudhomme »

810 is discussing that Barnes strongly prefers Frank Geary over the consortium of four and that she wants this to be "KC's arch". I don't see how this could happen, I am looking forward to what these talented people can come up with.
KCDevin

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by KCDevin »

... It's not Barnes' decision only, it's the whole councils.
The four architectural companies are far better than Gehry. Why did that idiot ever get involved?!

Let's start a website AGAINST Gehry!

The mayor better not screw this up by choosing Gehry.
Last edited by KCDevin on Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by KCPowercat »

how anybody could complain that we could possible get a Gehry designed building is beyond me.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCDevin

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by KCDevin »

I have seen many building's he's designed and I don't like any of them.
He has never designed a sports arena before, and he isn't from KC so he has no idea about what is uniquely Kansas City.
We also don't need our own arch. Kansas City should be a city recognizable for the entire skyline and not for one landmark building or structure.
If you were to take the arch out of STL no one would recognize it. If you were to take the Spaceneedle out of Seattle no one would recognize it. If you took the Transamerica Pyramid and Golden Gate bridge out of San Francisco no one would recognize it.
I just don't like Gehry's designs, IMO they are all ugly and would never be good for an arena in KC.
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by Beltonhawk »

Gehry designed the Nets' new arena in Brooklyn. Don't know what the status of this project is.

Gehry's design here:

http://www.bball.net/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by KCPowercat »

Belton...I don't believe that design has been chosen yet...he is bidding it though.

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by staubio »

KCDevin wrote: If you were to take the arch out of STL no one would recognize it. If you were to take the Spaceneedle out of Seattle no one would recognize it. If you took the Transamerica Pyramid and Golden Gate bridge out of San Francisco no one would recognize it.
I just don't like Gehry's designs, IMO they are all ugly and would never be good for an arena in KC.
...and guess what, Devin -- the average person wouldn't recognize KC's skyline without a landmark to key off of either. That argument is irrelevant. Are you saying that some sort distinctive structure is bad because people focus upon it? Absurd.

What would be so bad about a Gehry design? You wouldn't like it?
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by Beltonhawk »

Not sure KCP...my point being that KC's arena wouldn't be his first shot at designing one.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by KCPowercat »

This is all very premature anyways...RFP's haven't even been sent out to solicate bids.

Competition will make both proposals awesome....

I'm not even a huge Gehry fan but I understand his buildings are very dramatic and eyecatching....with the PAC to the west and arena to the east, they would be two eye catching structures putting more of a signature on our city.

No way an arena becomes something as unique as the arch though...just not tall enough.

zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by zonk »

KCDevin wrote:... It's not Barnes' decision only, it's the whole councils.
The four architectural companies are far better than Gehry. Why did that idiot ever get involved?!

Let's start a website AGAINST Gehry!

The mayor better not screw this up by choosing Gehry.
Actually, it's the City Manager who will contract with the Dream Team/Gehry. Don't count him out...However, I'm sure he will be feeling the heat from all....

GO Gehry!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by KCPowercat »

zonk...so will they make both/all bids public before choosing one? Shouldn't the RFP/Q being going out very soon? I thought a design might be picked before the vote?

AEG contract needs to be signed before August.

KCDevin

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by KCDevin »

staubio, KC's skyline may not be recognizable now, but it will be in the future. And I don't want one landmark building being the reason people recognize our city. That has always been a stupid idea in my opinion.
People recognize New York City, but not because of the ESB. People recognize Los Angeles but not because of the US Bank Tower. People recognize London, but not because of St. Stephens Tower.
Many sheltered people may only recognize those cities because of their landmark buildings, but people who travel or aren't sheltered recognize those cities for their skylines and one single building.

So KC should be, we should be reconizable only for all of our buildings and not one single structure. Like Washington D.C. is recognizable for the Capital, Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, White House, National Cathedral, Pentagon, etc...

I don't want KC to become known for just one single building, we need to be known for many of our buildings. At least more than 3 buildings.

Also, the group of the 4 KANSAS CITY architects would do a better job than Crawford Architects and Gehry could ever do. I wouldn't even have Frank Lloyd Wright design our arena (if he were still alive). And I have two thick books on his designs.

Frank Gehry doesn't know KC and he hasn't designed anything here, he will only design the arena according to his style and it won't be a unique style. We need a building that is strictly Kansas City and where there is no other arena like it in the world. Gehry will make it like his other buildings and it will probably only be attractive on the inside and outside and there wouldn't be much room for expansion.

We don't need an arena like this;
Because that is what Gehry is going to do for KC. And the 4 KC architectural firms don't want to build the arena like any other arena in the world. That is a typical arena except for the trees, the dream team aren't going to design a typical arena. They know Kansas City alot better than gehry, and we should have hometown architects design the arena that will help revive downtown. This is supposed to be symbolic, not just another project in KC or not just another sports arena being built. The dream team will be the arena represent Kansas City, they won't make it represent their own designs and they won't make it like other arenas.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

I don't care who they go with but if i see trees or a garden on top of it, I'm gonna KILL somebody. This stupid ass town will probably choose a cow to put on top or something even more insane like 2 GIANT BULL HORNS. If we do that why not just complete the perpetual stupidity and call it the Kansas Sprint Center and finalize the geographical stereotypes that WE create.

Why not put a giant fountain or something that shoots water 200-300 feet into the air? Oh.. that won't work... FAA regulations or something about a terrorist hijacking the water spout and using it to destroy something. Somebody tell me why this city is so stupid.
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by Beltonhawk »

I don't care who they go with but if i see trees or a garden on top of it, I'm gonna KILL somebody. This stupid ass town will probably choose a cow to put on top or something even more insane like 2 GIANT BULL HORNS. If we do that why not just complete the perpetual stupidity and call it the Kansas Sprint Center and finalize the geographical stereotypes that WE create.
Couldn't agree more. I get so sick of all the stereotypes people have of the area. But what makes me even angrier is when Kansas Citians do things to promote those same stereotypes. Case-in-point: Those stupid ass rusted metal "sculptures" of horse-drawn wagons, pioneers with guns, farm animals, etc, on 435 right next to Bannister mall. WTF was the person thinking on put those things there?

Anyway, back on topic. I want a functional, cutting-edge, uniquely-KC design that will show the world that we're not a bunch of midwest wheat farmers and could give a s--- who designs it. If my grandma submitted the best design, use it!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by trailerkid »

What about a feature where water slowly streams over the entire surface of the building? It would be very wasteful with water, but would be cool as hell.
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

www.yourkcarena.com

Post by Beltonhawk »

What about a feature where water slowly streams over the entire surface of the building? It would be very wasteful with water, but would be cool as hell.
Great idea...HOK did something on one of their projects (British soccer stadium maybe?)...They used the design of the roof to collect rain water to be used for toilets, cleaning, irrigation, etc....basically non-drinking/cooking uses and stored it all in a huge tank for future use. Granted, England gets a lot more rain than KC, but if the water is recycled, and all we were losing was to evaporation, it's a possibility.