Johnson County Transit (The JO)

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: New Bus Service on K-10

Post by GRID »

Did they say what size the vehicles will be, full size bus, van, coach etc?
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

GRID wrote: Did they say what size the vehicles will be, full size bus, van, coach etc?
I haven't heard, but I'm assuming they will be the full size KU buses that run on campus. Hopefully they'll release an article in the Lawrence Journal World with more details in the next couple days.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Definitely a step in the right direction.
Calling a spade a spade.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/dec/1 ... city_local

“This is public transit. Anybody can use it,â€
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

"K-10 connector" schedule has been posted: http://www.thejo.com/main.aspx?page=schedule-k10

stops are:
  • U-Lawrence Park & Ride @ Clinton & Crestline (east lot shelters)
  • 19th & Naismith (sw corner)
  • Haskell University Park & Ride (north of stadium)
  • JCCC Carlsen Center (north entrance)
  • KU-Edwards (nw side of roundabout)
there are a couple of late night runs, too. since the schedule doesn't specify, one assumes this is the daily schedule.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Johnson County Transit (The JO)

Post by GRID »

I was driving down I-35 today and couldn't help but notice quite a few JO buses traveling in both directions along I-35.

The thing that caught my eye is that they must have recently purchased a bunch of new buses.  They were all solid blue, as apposed the the rainbow colors or ad wraps with tinted windows they typically have and they are the same types of buses the ATA has been replacing its fleet with, the full size low floor buses.

They look nice, not nearly as dorky as the colored buses they have been using.

It also made me wonder why the JO, which is primarily as suburban commuter transit system, has not purchased any suburban commuter coach type buses.  You would think those would really help them sell the service.  The ATA uses its suburban route buses throughout the day, so I think that has something to do with them not having any, but I'm sure it's primarily budget issues for them.

90% of the JO buses sit in a parking lot between rush hours.  Seems like a perfect fit for them to have more of these types of buses and they seem to have a pretty modern fleet of buses all the time.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: I was driving down I-35 today and couldn't help but notice quite a few JO buses traveling in both directions along I-35.

The thing that caught my eye is that they must have recently purchased a bunch of new buses.  They were all solid blue, as apposed the the rainbow colors or ad wraps with tinted windows they typically have and they are the same types of buses the ATA has been replacing its fleet with, the full size low floor buses.

They look nice, not nearly as dorky as the colored buses they have been using.

It also made me wonder why the JO, which is primarily as suburban commuter transit system, has not purchased any suburban commuter coach type buses.  You would think those would really help them sell the service.  The ATA uses its suburban route buses throughout the day, so I think that has something to do with them not having any, but I'm sure it's primarily budget issues for them.

90% of the JO buses sit in a parking lot between rush hours.  Seems like a perfect fit for them to have more of these types of buses and they seem to have a pretty modern fleet of buses all the time.
I'll preface my comments by saying I am still 100% embarrassed by the JO. It is a perfect representation of what is wrong down there.

Coach style buses would be an excellent way for the JO to improve their poor image. The ride is much smoother and more comfortable. It'd be neat if they could get to the point where there are various nonstop commuter buses enroute to Union Station and the Transit Plaza departing from JoCo points like the Great Mall, Mission Gateway, Corporate Woods/JCCC, etc. There is money on a statewide and national level for expansion of transit in the Jo...get on board already. It will take a while to get ridership where it should be, but what's the other alternative?
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

^^ Probably part of the reason is the same one I always heard while living in Columbia: Why spend more on buses when the existing ones are running around three-quarters empty?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: I'll preface my comments by saying I am still 100% embarrassed by the JO. It is a perfect representation of what is wrong down there.

Coach style buses would be an excellent way for the JO to improve their poor image. The ride is much smoother and more comfortable. It'd be neat if they could get to the point where there are various nonstop commuter buses enroute to Union Station and the Transit Plaza departing from JoCo points like the Great Mall, Mission Gateway, Corporate Woods/JCCC, etc. There is money on a statewide and national level for expansion of transit in the Jo...get on board already. It will take a while to get ridership where it should be, but what's the other alternative?
yup. they should be treating buses like commuter rail... long-distance express coaches to get between major employment/retail centers. for local routes, they need little more than a van.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: for local routes, they need little more than a van.
That sounds like a good way to build ridership.

I believe Lawrence is at the point where we have as many riders as Johnson County (80,000 population v. 500,000+ population). Jo Co has more psuedo-urban nodes than Lawrence. No more excuses...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

there was an ad in this week's pitch touting this service. not a big deal, but thought it was interesting.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

This another CMAQ transit project that will likely go away in a couple of years when the funding expires.  Anyone remember the Downtowner bus??
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

dangerboy wrote: This another CMAQ transit project that will likely go away in a couple of years when the funding expires.  Anyone remember the Downtowner bus??
I'm not so sure about that. There is a lot of buzz about this service in Lawrence-- even among those who don't use our fixed route or campus services. Linking KU and JCCC is going to be a big hit for the many students who have associations at both schools. I have a feeling that once this service starts there will be pressure from both communities and institutions to continue it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

downtown (and other) route changes coming on 1/22!

http://www.thejo.com/main.aspx?page=rou ... ode=normal
Downtown KCMO Routes (A,B,B-Rev,C,D,E,I,L,M,N,P,S,W)
All routes will resume using Main St for north-south travel
The following stops will change:
12th & Central --> 11th & Central (southbound routes)
12th & Central --> 10th & Central (northbound routes)
12th & Grand --> 1100 Main (southbound routes)
12th & Grand --> 1111 Main (northbound routes)
Union Station --> Two Pershing Square/Union Station
2555 Grand --> 26th & Grand
Crown Center/Westin --> 2345 Grand
Pershing & Grand --> 2345 Grand
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

more than 25% of the lawrence population is made up of KU students, many who don't have cars, and KU is a closed campus, so the busses are natually going to be used more. I don't think its a good comparison.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

tat2kc wrote: more than 25% of the lawrence population is made up of KU students, many who don't have cars, and KU is a closed campus, so the busses are natually going to be used more. I don't think its a good comparison.
Just a couple streets on campus are closed. Students still park at the base of the hill. I think they use the bus more because parking is a bitch to deal with, and students riding a bus in Lawrence isn't seen as "low class" as many JOCO citizens would probably think of themselves if they were riding the bus to work.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Anyone tried it yet? Don't forget it's free the first 2 weeks. Kansas City breathen come to the little l, but don't forget your obtuse hipsteronic shades.  8)

I'll probably use it recreationally on Wednesday afternoon.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Anybody try this, know anybody who as tried it or even seen the buses?  I'm very curious to know how it's doing, what types of buses are being used and any feedback from riders.  I would hope they expand this more on the KC end to make it more attractive to more people.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i've considered it, but i live too far away from JCCC and it wouldn't drop anywhere near downtown lawrence. maybe if i was going to a function on campus and didn't want to deal with parking, but i can't remember the last time i did that.
SamPierron
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SamPierron »

The #1 consumers of this service will be international graduate students, many of whom aren't told that up to half their classes will be at the Edwards Campus.  #2 will be faculty who teach at both campuses, followed by #3...KU students looking to take easier Western Civ., Spanish or math at JCCC.

I would love to use it, but I don't work close enough to JCCC or Edwards Campus.  Alas.