Johnson County Transit (The JO)

Transportation topics in KC
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Johnson County Transit (The JO)

Post by SilentSpades24 »

I noticed that JoCo didn't change their express bus stops at all.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Can you be more specific about which bus stop? Express routes did change on May 9.

https://ridekc.org/bulletins/joco-may-2022
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

In particular the stops along 7th St in KCK, SM Pkwy, and 151st in JoCO, still have the old route listed on stops along those roads (or in the case of 151st, still have the stops).
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

It's officially announced. 499, MicroTransit Sunday service and service area expansion to begin on July 5. Nothing official on the proposed fixed-route services.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

SilentSpades24 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:22 pm It's officially announced. 499, MicroTransit Sunday service and service area expansion to begin on July 5. Nothing official on the proposed fixed-route services.
This is a very big deal for regional job access. The first Sunday service ever in Johnson County and a new mobile app to replace the mediocre Transloc app (the whole service is migrating to a new platform vendor).

Fixed route changes were hampered by staffing challenges, just like the rest of the industry, but when I left they were still targeting some time this summer.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Only $3 within zone or $5 across zone. Will also be nice for car-free people in City who occasionally need to get to JoCo via Plaza or WPC stop. Much cheaper than an Uber ride if time not a high priority.

https://ridekc.org/bulletins/499-july-expansion
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Oh yeah, this is an absolute game changer in Johnson County, finally opens up a big swath of the metro for those who don't have a car, or don't want to use a car to go everywhere. I'm absolutely happy to see Johnson County finally step up to the plate with transit (even with just a pilot program).

Shame staffing challenges are still delaying things, but either way, hopeful things can get going. Glad to see things improve and glad to see your work start to pay off. Hopefully people begin to embrace transit.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Also, hope the new gig is going well!
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Some of the proposed Johnson County transit expansion is happening. Begins July 25.

403 and 404 will run all day.
403 will run to KU Med, rather than Downtown. 404 will go to Mission Transit Center and Downtown all-day.

Routes will run 5am-9pm.

All-Day service for 402, 495, as well as the new 87th St route, as well as Saturday service have not been announced and appear to be happening at a later date.

Still, big win for transit in Johnson County.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Johnson County expanded services go into effect today.

But again, with new services, JoCo didn't seem to update any of their bus stops, besides posting #435 won't run anymore. Shame to see.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

New route 487 starts Monday, Aug. 7 connecting Mission Transit Center and Lenexa City Center via downtown OP and 87th Street, offering hourly service Monday through Friday. Connect to other regional routes at Mission Transit Center. Zero fare!

Bike share hubs along the way at Meadowbrook Park and Lenexa City Center. Microtransit service all along the route if you want to go even farther afield.

https://ridekc.org/bulletins/new-route- ... street-mct
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Three JoCo routes to be eliminated. 482 - Flex, 519 - Olathe Express and 595 - Gardner Express. 3 Low performing express or limited Flex routes. County stands to save $833,000. I wonder if they attempt to reinvest some of that into the system somehow (maybe bring 402 to all-day service?).
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

So they cut the express routes to downtown KC? That's not good news for ever establishing a rail connection along I-35 to downtown.

Does downtown KC even have a sizable "rush hour" anymore from the suburbs or does all the traffic go to JoCo now?
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

GRID wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:34 pm So they cut the express routes to downtown KC? That's not good news for ever establishing a rail connection along I-35 to downtown.

Does downtown KC even have a sizable "rush hour" anymore from the suburbs or does all the traffic go to JoCo now?
I'd say there is still a rush hour, but it is definitely much more spread across the region. I much prefer to see it this way though. Transit wise, service should be spread equally across the day/week, rather than concentrated on the rush hour and suburban commuter.

Worth noting as well that KCATA express routes 535, 571 also never returned post-pandemic and seemingly are eliminated. They no longer appear on the website. Leaves the Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, South OP, Shawnee and (for some strange reason), Blue Ridge as the last express routes.

Also worth noting, notice how they use the word "suspended" not eliminated. Does this keep the door open for them to revive these routes? (I hope not, invest it into the local fixed routes).
mjbauer95
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mjbauer95 »

I'm curious if JoCo Transit publishes ridership numbers anywhere? KCATA has a nice performance dashboard but it doesn't have any Kansas ridership.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Don't ever expect I-35 commuter rail. The county lost its leverage years ago.

Johnson County is now focused on service within the county, which is a valid effort as it continues to densify.