Bishop Spencer Place proposed 8 story becomes 4

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

Bishop Spencer Place was before the Planning, Zoning & Redevelopment Committee today. They are downsizing thier previously APPROVED 8 story residential project down to two 4 story buildings. They added 20 feet of greenspace between the building and the street. The new buildings are stupid and suburban looking compared to the 8 story structure thay already had approved. The reason I made this thread is from the horror I experienced when watching this committe of bimbo and morons. Troy Nash was the only person on the committee that had an ounce of intelligence. My biggest problem with this development is that they completely destroyed the urban landscape of 43rd Street between Madison & Fefferson. The south side of 43rd between Madison & Jefferson is grass and a fence that sets back 50 feet to the back of 1/2 story car garages! This is the most cheesy, suburban-looking streetscape in the entire metro. No streetscape whatsoever, what a waste of a great street, 43rd.
Hilda Gibbs, lives at 4456 Pennsylvania is the Westport/Plaza Neighborhood Homes Association Nimby that has a huge mouth. She speaks with a German accent. This whole process is crazy, the people are morons. Some black lady ( Bacon?) sitting with Bonnie Cooper on the committee kept mentioning another property nearby and she wanted to know how they could be added to Spencer's abatement process! This councilperson obviously knew the owner of that property and wanted to get the tax abatement goodies for them too. The Spencer attorney was trying not to laugh.

Here is a link to what they were going to build, which was very cool and urban. Unfortunatley now they are building a very low-rise 4story piece of crap. What a waste.

http://www.kchba.org/cgi-bin/news/viewn ... 1016689628
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

That sucks, along with the denial of the new condo tower behind Townsend.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

GRID wrote:That sucks, along with the denial of the new condo tower behind Townsend.
Have some faith...this ins't dead yet...
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

true, 4646 Broadway isn't dead, just stalled. Just like 1034 Main (which WILL happen... One day)
JBinKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JBinKC »

Not sure if they mentioned it in the meeting you went to, but the stated reason they are not building the 8 story retirement home is for a lack of interest. They couldn't fill the space at the price they needed to justify building the full 8 stories.

I've seen pictures of the current plan and it includes streetside entryways and landscaping (or at least it did as of 2 months ago), probably somewhat similar to City Place. I know the section of Bishop Spencer along 43rd St is lacking in inspiration, but if nothing else they at least keep up their property...this is more than can be said for a lot of other people in the neighborhood. They definitely create some stability for a rather dynamic area, and this development isn't necessarily a bad thing. That being said, I was hoping for the 8 story building too.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Well if they are building two 4-storys, wouldn't the demand be the same? Unless they are doing it in phases.

I really want to see 4646 Broadway go up. I would like to see some new buildings like that go up anywhere in KC. I'm ready for some aggresive architecture in this town.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

GRID wrote: I'm ready for some aggresive architecture in this town.
ABSOLUTELY!!!!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

LG, chill out on the personal attacks. If the woman is a resident of the neighborhood she has a right to voice her opinion, no matter what her accent sounds like.

This isn't necessarily a setback. Developers always over-propose their projects. Often they end up being smaller than the original proposal, after going through neighborhood groups and the city planning/zoning process. The whole thing is a big negotion, and the developer's original drawings are usually just their first offer.
JBinKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JBinKC »

This is true Grid...the second building is optional if demand is there...that one would sit on Madison. I can't remember if they said it would be a new building or if they would use the existing structure. I don't think it is being used for much right now though.

BTW, the old German lady is the neighborhood association president. Really nice lady, but the quintessential NIMBY. Fiesty as hell too. You wouldn't guess it but she's 89 years old.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Concrete forms for support columns now above ground level.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

moderne wrote:Concrete forms for support columns now above ground level.
So, it's still going to be only four stories right?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

First floor walls now going up. And that tower crane is not at BSP, it is St. Lukes. Someone must have skewed spatial perception.
MC86
New York Life
New York Life

Post by MC86 »

zonk wrote:
GRID wrote: I'm ready for some aggresive architecture in this town.
ABSOLUTELY!!!!
Like the Nelson?? :D