Fantasy Retrofits: Barney Allis Plaza

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Fantasy Retrofits: Barney Allis Plaza

Post by earthling »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:38 am A water fountain garden experience is a wonderful idea. Send like a great idea for part of the cap
Am thinking of sending a message to the City of Fountains Foundation and the local engineering firms that have global influence. Not just for BAP or CAP sites but could also create a set of standardized platforms (S/M/L/XL) with varying standard water feed volume/pressure requirements that fountain designers can follow to become part of a global exchange program. The CoF Foundation can create/manage the exchange program (perhaps local engineering firms as board members) and proceeds from global membership fees could partly help maintain all of KC's public fountains - and grow further. The local engineering firms can encourage their client sites around the world to use the standards and join the exchange program, even private homes willing to pay the membership fee.

This could further justify KC's CoF establishment.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Great idea. Maybe councilperson too.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

earthling wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:18 am
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:38 am A water fountain garden experience is a wonderful idea. Send like a great idea for part of the cap
Am thinking of sending a message to the City of Fountains Foundation and the local engineering firms that have global influence. Not just for BAP or CAP sites but could also create a set of standardized platforms (S/M/L/XL) with varying standard water feed volume/pressure requirements that fountain designers can follow to become part of a global exchange program. The CoF Foundation can create/manage the exchange program (perhaps local engineering firms as board members) and proceeds from global membership fees could partly help maintain all of KC's public fountains - and grow further. The local engineering firms can encourage their client sites around the world to use the standards and join the exchange program, even private homes willing to pay the membership fee.

This could further justify KC's CoF establishment.
This may be one of, if not the best idea I have read on this board. I’d love for this to move forward. Rare that you get a real win/win
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

That’s encouraging enough to delve into this a bit further. I may simply send an email with ideas to all potential players though that might not spur enough interest/action.

Might need a mini-proposal with more upfront structure. Would hate to see one of the engineering firms take off with their own proprietary spec. A global open spec is needed for wide adoption of easily swapable fountains, somewhat similar to a USB port or SD card - a fountain base that’s sort of like a cartridge that snaps into a platform with pre-installed pump/power. How about USB-F or UFP (Universal Fountain Platform).

Have a patent for GPS/location-based services, could perhaps do a ‘provisional’ high level patent for a UFP and donate to City of Fountains Foundation, then get the conversation started with broader players to develop formal specs with full patents owned by CoFF. Or I may just broadcast email some ideas, not sure yet.

The CoFF could become the James Beard Awards of the fountain world and run an annual global fountain design contest that complies with the UFP spec, perhaps with annual fountain art fair held at riverfront park. The top 10 or so winners could be displayed at KC parks (BAP/Cap) for a period and then switch to the global exchange program with sites following the UFP spec. Rinse/repeat following year.

KC parks get coolest new fountains rotated in every year and more firmly establishes itself as the City of Fountains on a global level.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

earthling wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:42 am That’s encouraging enough to delve into this a bit further. I may simply send an email with ideas to all potential players though that might not spur enough interest/action.

Might need a mini-proposal with more upfront structure. Would hate to see one of the engineering firms take off with their own proprietary spec. A global open spec is needed for wide adoption of easily swapable fountains, somewhat similar to a USB port or SD card - a fountain base that’s sort of like a cartridge that snaps into a platform with pre-installed pump/power. How about USB-F or UFP (Universal Fountain Platform).

Have a patent for GPS/location-based services, could perhaps do a ‘provisional’ high level patent for a UFP and donate to City of Fountains Foundation, then get the conversation started with broader players to develop formal specs with full patents owned by CoFF. Or I may just broadcast email some ideas, not sure yet.

The CoFF could become the James Beard Awards of the fountain world and run an annual global fountain design contest that complies with the UFP spec, perhaps with annual fountain art fair held at riverfront park. The top 10 or so winners could be displayed at KC parks (BAP/Cap) for a period and then switch to the global exchange program with sites following the UFP spec. Rinse/repeat following year.

KC parks get coolest new fountains rotated in every year and more firmly establishes itself as the City of Fountains on a global level.
This is an incredible idea
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Thanks and for the PM.

Before anyone posts ideas please keep in mind I intend to donate these ideas even if doing a provisional patent.

If you post ideas on kcrag or to me personally, consider them a public donation and that you may not get credit as I may not have any control once passing it on.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Already have a lawyer loosely engaged. Not official rep as I don't want to scare CoFF out of this legally, which has happened to me in past with patent transfer - I want CoFF to own this. I had started another thread with a bit more detailed plan but was suggested to shutdown a public conversation for now, so I've deleted the thread. Not for my sake (I'd love to see CoFF take off with this w/out me so not afraid to lay out publicly) but for others who may donate time on this and not want status/approach/firms publicly discussed (more importantly, legal/engineering firms I would hope to become engaged). I was too specific in other thread.

Let's see where this goes! There's interest outside the Rag at this point.

The first goal is to make sure CoFF board 'gets it', the power to influence a standardized open spec in the industry and what they can do with it.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

earthling wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:09 pm Already have a lawyer loosely engaged. Not official rep as I don't want to scare CoFF out of this legally, which has happened to me in past with patent transfer - I want CoFF to own this. I had started another thread with a bit more detailed plan but was suggested to shutdown a public conversation for now, so I've deleted the thread. Not for my sake (I'd love to see CoFF take off with this w/out me so not afraid to lay out publicly) but for others who may donate time on this and not want status/approach/firms publicly discussed (more importantly, legal/engineering firms I would hope to become engaged). I was too specific in other thread.

Let's see where this goes! There's interest outside the Rag at this point.

The first goal is to make sure CoFF board 'gets it', the power to influence a standardized open spec in the industry and what they can do with it.
Awesome to hear there's interest! Thanks for getting the ball rolling
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What interest has their been outside of here? Maybe you can't really say.

Great to hear.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^I've bounced the idea off a couple others outside Rag with good feedback, including a startup MBA. Hopefully the CoFF board understands the significant opportunity and also wants to see this happen as they seem to be the best way to make this work.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

What might be considered is to put the ballpark on the footprint of Allis Plaza, then improve the miserably underutilized property west of Bartle Hall for parking, hotels, amenities. This way the parking and hospitality resources are shared between both venues.

The exclusive discussion of locating of the ballpark (if it makes any sense to actually relocate a park) to the East Side is a version of dogmatism.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

kenrbnj wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:22 am What might be considered is to put the ballpark on the footprint of Allis Plaza, then improve the miserably underutilized property west of Bartle Hall for parking, hotels, amenities. This way the parking and hospitality resources are shared between both venues.

The exclusive discussion of locating of the ballpark (if it makes any sense to actually relocate a park) to the East Side is a version of dogmatism.
No way is Allis Plaza a big enough site
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

kenrbnj wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:22 am What might be considered is to put the ballpark on the footprint of Allis Plaza, then improve the miserably underutilized property west of Bartle Hall for parking, hotels, amenities. This way the parking and hospitality resources are shared between both venues.

The site is about a quarter what is necessary for a ballpark no? I doubt one would fit there well
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean if we tear down municipal and bartle and Marriott I think there is a chance.

Some on this board would be all for that level of teardown. Those buildings are old and dirty.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:42 am I mean if we tear down municipal and bartle and Marriott I think there is a chance.

Some on this board would be all for that level of teardown. Those buildings are old and dirty.
Bartle yes!
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

There's an item on this week's City Council meeting for the city to begin negotiations with a variety of development entities (Copakan, McCown Gordon, Brinshore, etc...) related to this development. The legislation specifically mentions they want this project to be completed by 2026. If it passes it might be the first case of the World Cup greasing the wheels for development.

KCDowntown
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCDowntown wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:48 pm There's an item on this week's City Council meeting for the city to begin negotiations with a variety of development entities (Copakan, McCown Gordon, Brinshore, etc...) related to this development. The legislation specifically mentions they want this project to be completed by 2026. If it passes it might be the first case of the World Cup greasing the wheels for development.

KCDowntown
I keep wondering if without the World Cup they'd be pushing so hard to get the South Loop Cap done by summer 2026 as well. Because they did announce before the WC, but it seems like they're pushing extra hard now, right?
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:20 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:42 am I mean if we tear down municipal and bartle and Marriott I think there is a chance.

Bartle yes!
The thinking is for a "Wrigley Field" style stadium; small footprint and remote parking. (Sorry. You're going to walk a little, people.) Remove the streets between Municipal and Allis and Bartle and Allis.

Allis Plaza; when I moved to KC in 1988 was an uninspiring eyesore. Had they substituted Barney Allis Plaza for ordinance test instead of China Lake? Mark it as "civic improvement".

To your point, Normal: It is unclear what the role of Municipal is anymore. In truth, the juice ain't worth the squeeze. Makes me think a little of the original Chicago Stadium before United Center. Aside from that bright spot? Put a Belgium Charge in the boiler room; let feathers fly.

Though the mayor would like to have an "in-and-out burger". What a winner.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

kenrbnj wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:19 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:20 am

Bartle yes!
The thinking is for a "Wrigley Field" style stadium; small footprint and remote parking. (Sorry. You're going to walk a little, people.) Remove the streets between Municipal and Allis and Bartle and Allis.

Allis Plaza; when I moved to KC in 1988 was an uninspiring eyesore. Had they substituted Barney Allis Plaza for ordinance test instead of China Lake? Mark it as "civic improvement".

To your point, Normal: It is unclear what the role of Municipal is anymore. In truth, the juice ain't worth the squeeze. Makes me think a little of the original Chicago Stadium before United Center. Aside from that bright spot? Put a Belgium Charge in the boiler room; let feathers fly.

Though the mayor would like to have an "in-and-out burger". What a winner.
I don’t understand what this means
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Wow, this is all everyone has for a Fantasy retrofit? Has Municipal Auditorium not been used for anything? Talk of tearing it down has me concerned. Did the car shows,flower and garden shows,all move from there and go to Bartel? Use to get boxes of peanut brittle from school and sell it there. Sad to think this area has become such a wasteland to everyone. Guess I'm getting old.....
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!