Columbus Park Redevelopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Columbus Park Redevelopment

Post by FangKC »

I guess we wait until the plan for those parcels is made public, and write to City Council members and push this point-of-view. They normally only get the strident neighborhood NIMBY anti-density viewpoint.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Does HA have some sort of deadline to do something or be done with it like in their governance?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

FangKC wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:16 pm
Highlander wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:27 pm The city (via the HAKC) operates one of the least dense, suburban style housing projects in the urban core just north of Columbus Park.
https://i0.wp.com/urbanangle.net/wp-con ... -Today.jpg
I agree with you that it was a mistake. Especially now in light of the lack of affordable housing, and long wait lists for HAKC housing, all that green space could have been devoted to more housing.
There was a lawsuit in the 1990s when they tore down Guinotte Manor and part of the settlement was that the first 2 phases of rebuild would be low-income housing (what is there, now) and the remaining 6 acres would be turned over to a private developer and could not be more than (I think) 20% low-income housing.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Highlander wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:27 pm The city (via the HAKC) operates one of the least dense, suburban style housing projects in the urban core just north of Columbus Park.
I agree with you that it was a mistake. Especially now in light of the lack of affordable housing, and long wait lists for HAKC housing, all that green space could have been devoted to more housing.
Guinotte Manor was not just any HAKC housing project, it was built in 1952 (much denser than it is now - and as much of hellhole as Wayne Miner) and was deliberately used as a tool by the city to help lessen the political power of Columbus Park. Columbus Park was subsequently and purposefully ripped apart by the interstate system with the city's blessing. Many of my relatives lived in Columbus Park from the time they reached the US early in the 20th century until the 1970's (although several moved out of the neighborhood as a result of the city targeting the community). I wasn't aware of the agreement in 1999 that Taxi mentioned but It's unfortunate that modern developers still are bound by agreements made with the city given the city's culpability in destroying the neighborhood.
Last edited by Highlander on Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

taxi wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:57 pm
There was a lawsuit in the 1990s when they tore down Guinotte Manor and part of the settlement was that the first 2 phases of rebuild would be low-income housing (what is there, now) and the remaining 6 acres would be turned over to a private developer and could not be more than (I think) 20% low-income housing.
I remember being told this agreement was related to the Federal government's involvement in Guinotte Manor. anyone know if that is for real
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I was looking at Google maps today at Columbus Park. Is the entrance ramp from Troost onto westbound I-35 all that necessary? It seems like it could be removed creating a significant amount of space for development in the southeast corner of the neighborhood. Also take the entrance ramp from Independence Avenue onto Troost out (it's essentially an entrance onto I35 anyway) and make Troost/Independence Avenue a proper intersection.
Troost then can become a street again for a full 2 blocks south of Pacific and stop being simply a highway entrance. There are countless places like this in the urban core where an unnecessary highway accommodation really screws up neighborhoods, parks and commercial areas.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1082181 ... ?entry=ttu
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

the answer is no, that ramp is not needed and just 1 of about 3-4 really terrible and dangerous ramps in the North Loop are. Really need to re-do that entire North & East loops and hoping downtown baseball stadium will help spur that along
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I remember hearing that the Columbus Park neighborhood was considering doing an independent traffic study for the area. Did that ever happen?

Seems like it might be necessary considering all of the development and stadiums happening around them plus the surprisingly few amount of 4 way stops there
Belvidere
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Belvidere »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:59 pm I remember hearing that the Columbus Park neighborhood was considering doing an independent traffic study for the area. Did that ever happen?

Seems like it might be necessary considering all of the development and stadiums happening around them plus the surprisingly few amount of 4 way stops there
We've tried. It's really hard to get them to agree to do it. They measured a couple of intersections and then we could never get the results.

Thanks for the prompt. We will take it up again.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Belvidere wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:50 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:59 pm I remember hearing that the Columbus Park neighborhood was considering doing an independent traffic study for the area. Did that ever happen?

We've tried. It's really hard to get them to agree to do it. They measured a couple of intersections and then we could never get the results.

Thanks for the prompt. We will take it up again.
Got it - good luck.

Hopefully something independent of the city (and olsson by extension) could give some insight of the impact for a significantly cheaper cost.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Anyone hear anything about these townhomes going up? Foundations have been poured, ETA for completion?

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 88698fccf3
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Construction seems to have stopped at least a few months ago. I heard a rumor that the footings weren't deep enough and some of it was on the wrong side of the property line. I wouldn't be surprised, I met the foreman and he was a prick.
Belvidere
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Belvidere »

taxi wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:50 am Construction seems to have stopped at least a few months ago. I heard a rumor that the footings weren't deep enough and some of it was on the wrong side of the property line. I wouldn't be surprised, I met the foreman and he was a prick.
Heard the same rumor. Not happy, especially with the exposed rebar and eternal porta-potty.

We can, as ever, get a buyer if they cannot move forward, and start over.
Belvidere
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Belvidere »

langosta wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:08 pm
taxi wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:57 pm

I remember being told this agreement was related to the Federal government's involvement in Guinotte Manor. anyone know if that is for real
This is not my understanding, although it was before my time here.

HAKC wanted to tear down Guinotte housing (which was like army barracks) and rebuild. The neighborhood asked for nicer, fewer units that blended in, but they had to go to Federal Court to get that deal done. Mike Burke, I believe, did that legal work for a reduced feet that the neighborhood paid for, collecting money by going door to door.

The result are townhomes (I think some of them are 4 bedroom for larger families). Around 500 people reside in Guinotte. There are some people from the previous pubic housing and they have lived in CP for decades.

The remaining acres, plus additional parcels, were supposed to be returned to the neighborhood for other types of housing, including for sale. A certain percentage had to be affordable; CP Lofts, I believe, exceeded that goal, and half of the units have rent based on income.

Columbus Park also has CP Plaza, which are apartments for low income seniors and people with disabilities. That is run by a non-profit.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

What I posted came from either the city or someone on the suit
Belvidere
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Belvidere »

langosta wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:39 pm What I posted came from either the city or someone on the suit
I will see if I can find the records.
Belvidere
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Belvidere »

Belvidere wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:43 pm
langosta wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:39 pm What I posted came from either the city or someone on the suit
I will see if I can find the records.
The depressing part is how long we have been having the same conversations. 26 years! It's baffling.

I did not copy and paste the whole thing, only parts.

Making progress Columbus Park on the rebound with projects
December 24, 1998 | Kansas City Star, The (MO)
Author/Byline: LYNN HORSLEY; The Kansas City Star | Page: 10 | Section: ZONE/MIDTOWN
1124 Words | Readability: Lexile: 1210, grade level(s): 11-12

``There is no neighborhood in Kansas City that has the immediate potential for residential development as much as Columbus Park,'' said attorney Michael Burke, who represents the neighborhood in negotiations with city officials and the Kansas City Housing Authority. ``It is so strategically located.''

The neighborhood and city have come a long way from two years ago when they were fighting the Housing Authority in federal court over Guinotte Manor, the city's largest housing project.

The city and Housing Authority in January 1997 were at loggerheads over a plan to replace 412 residential units then at Guinotte with 296 units. The neighborhood feared the plan would repeat prior public housing mistakes by concentrating too many units in one place.

But then something unusual happened. The adversaries stopped fighting in court and started working on a compromise. The result was a scaled-down plan to build 219 new public housing units at Guinotte in a design that blends architecturally with Columbus Park homes and shops.

The rest of the public housing units will be scattered throughout the city.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC_Ari wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:03 am Anyone hear anything about these townhomes going up? Foundations have been poured, ETA for completion?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1110457 ... ?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1106839 ... entry=ttu

Did anyone ever see the exterior design for these townhomes?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

FangKC wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:01 am
KC_Ari wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:03 am Anyone hear anything about these townhomes going up? Foundations have been poured, ETA for completion?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1110457 ... ?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1106839 ... entry=ttu

Did anyone ever see the exterior design for these townhomes?
https://veritas-ad.com/columbus-park-triplex/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm surprised they didn't go for a 3-story above the front grade instead of 2-story. It could have been a 3-story with basement. That could have made it possible to create a multi-generational house. I think that would sell quickly in a neighborhood with people of Italian and Vietnamese descent.